Who's getting hit by this storm in the US?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LauraR, Feb 1, 2011.

1. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Jeez, watching this storm on the news is wild. I've never seen a storm that was covering so much of the country all at once.

We're used to this crap in the Northeast, but there's states that are getting crushed that aren't prepared for stuff like this. They were showing Oklahoma in the middle of a blizzard and talking about 14" (35.6 cm)!

We aren't getting snow this time (we got a foot last week:(). We're getting ice, which is so much worse. :cry

2. abz1nthe

abz1nthe Command Sergeant Major

we should get 14-22 inches here in New Hampshire! Still digging out from the last one lol

3. LauraR

My sister lives in Dallas and she said that they don't have salt trucks down there!. They got ice. lmao...she said that they went below 32 F last week and her apt building canceled a tenant meeting because of the cold. It was to take place in her building!:-D She also said they news was warning people to put on gloves and hats. LOL

Oh, and I saw Chicago may get 2 feet.

4. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

We got hit by a bunch of ice, in kansas yesterday morning, snow all through out tonight and this morning, but meh, life goes on.

5. abz1nthe

abz1nthe Command Sergeant Major

I'm liking it. I work for a school so I get out early today on my Birthday.. Then they already called school/work off tomorrow and their predicting a delay for Thursday ha

6. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

We are on the southern tip of the storm, so all we are getting is torrential amounts of rain. We now have ponds were we never had them before!! :-D

7. LauraR

My kids are loving this weather. They'll get wacked during days off and the end of year with makeup days, but they live in the moment.

Fishing time? :-D

8. silas

silas MajorGeek

I live in illinois and we've got high winds and its suppose to be 12 - 22 inches thru weds morning. I thought Id be nice and take my GF To work.. her job is on the edge(more open country area) job.. Now the parking lot is all open for wind/drifting/snow. Now I just got back from taking her there an hour ago.. When in the parking lot I couldn't see anything cept snow... and I did notice I had to run over 1-2 ft drifts just to get out of the parking lot. Now my rant! :-D Finally off my chest again:cry BUT why do people drive so (nice putting it bad)?! Yes many have gotten into accident.. and some will claim they couldn't help it.. And very small portion is true yes.. BUT don't take this towards you here. BUT I go the back roads to get to her job.. Figure safer less cars. So I have to go to a stop light to get towards her job. I pull up now I think and IAM talking to GF about why I stayed few feet back from the stoplight.. to be nice let cars through easier.. and incase someone slide no car be there... well while talking I see a black blazer coming to my left(green light on his side)... Numbnuts must have thought it was cleared roads and 80F out cause he was going to fast anyways.. and not just that he tried making a right turn.. Now common since is your going to slam on breaks and slide straight even tho the wheels are cranked right! Well next thing I see is dumbnuts staring at me while his black blazer flew inches away from my front end into on coming cars.. Now what an idi*T I told GF I would have gave him an ear full and god would need to hold me back. I can see a accident for an accident. But not people in a blazer going to fast and god willing going to make a turn. We were slidding going few mph to a stop.. just think what happen going 30mph.. yeah no way... End of rant! Now I got to worry about getting GF later tonight when dark and worst.. hope we make it!

9. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

*walks to door*
    *flips on outside lights*

*shuts off lights, slams curtains closed, and pulls blanket over head*

Totally don't want to be here now. Have no choice.

10. silas

silas MajorGeek

Well I thought my plan was good.. Guess its not so good with the true blizzard here. Normally go out every 2 hour smoke cig and warm car up and move forward and backwards to get some tire tracks there for me to try to get out. But every time I go outside I don't see the old marks and so much snow and wind its up to the doors already. Plus no plowing atm. So told GF to get ride incase I cant make it. Plus bad enough Iam listening to scanner online(pc) and highways are closed many town roads are closed.. even the city workers and tow truck guys and even power company all having issues getting to places due to to much snow and little plowing. Also power keeps going out on me:cry

11. ShelaghRoyale

ShelaghRoyale Sergeant

That storm is heading my way, in the wee hours...Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.... the storm is heading towards the maritimes .....
    This is the alert we received:
    Winter storm warning in effect.
    Tonight
    Cloudy. 60 percent chance of flurries early this evening. Snow and blowing snow beginning overnight. Amount 2 cm. Wind becoming northeast 30 km/h gusting to 50 overnight. Low minus 15. Wind chill minus 25 overnight.

Wednesday
    Snow at times heavy and blowing snow. Amount 15 cm. Wind east 30 km/h gusting to 50. High minus 11. Wind chill minus 26 in the morning.

Wednesday night
    Snow ending in the evening then cloudy with 60 percent chance of flurries. Clearing overnight. Blowing snow early in the evening. Wind east 30 km/h gusting to 50 becoming light early in the evening. Low minus 15.

Thursday
    Sunny. High minus 6.

Friday
    Cloudy with 30 percent chance of flurries. Low minus 11. High minus 3.

Saturday
    A mix of sun and cloud with 40 percent chance of flurries. Low minus 10. High minus 4.

Sunday
    Cloudy with 60 percent chance of flurries. Low minus 10. High minus 5.

Monday
    Cloudy with 60 percent chance of flurries. Low minus 11. High minus 6.

So ... it may not be much in Ottawa, but the surrounding areas will be hit hard.

We are used to it here. The storm will continue eastward to the maritimes where they will be hit hard. Even tho there is a storm, it is business as usual in the morning, perhaps be late because of traffic.

Please Everyone stay safe :)

Shelagh :)

12. silas

silas MajorGeek

Well snow and blizzard condition so bad that they closed GF work and most jobs are having to keep workers over night since so bad here. Going to be lonely night:( But went out to car and checked an hour ago and snow up passed the door and bumper so no way able to move to go get her.

13. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

Stay safe and warm! Don't go out if you don't have to.

It's been a long time since I've been in a real blizzard. It's only fun if you're 6 years old!

14. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

No snow here yet (central Indiana) but 1/2 to 3/4 inch of ice and a mixture of sleet and ice (slice? LOL). Supposed to get some more slice till 07:00 EST and then maybe some snow to blow around in the high winds also expected later today. Travel not to diffucult in the city, but further out in the open areas and county it's pretty bad.

Lots of power outages in my city and the county - not in my neighborhood yet but if this ice build-up continues it might become more widespread. Lots of trees coming down too, increasing the possibility of more power lines down.

My wife works about 25 miles away in the next city, and I told her Monday evening she wasn't going anywhere the next day if it got as bad as they thought it was going to (it did) but fortunately for her sick days they actually closed her office. I assume they will today also - if not she is still grounded :-D

Had fun getting to work tonight myself, ;) Go, good 'ol Dakota, go!

15. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

We got it here in Southern Ontario, just went for a little walk, there have been a few drivers out, the ruts are a good 5" of compacted snow and ice,drifts upto 3 feet at my end of town, but we're pretty well sheltered and my car is covered in ice.
    The local hospitals have closed except emergencies, my wifes work place has most of it's employess staying home. I just have to wait for a phone call to say whether or not my boss is crazy enough to want me in.
    The wife is telling me I'm not to go in, the police are telling us to stay home as is enviroment Canada.
    Something tells me I'm going to have to go to work lol
    Kinda makes me wish I didn't just have summer tires on my car :-D

I love this weather :strong (not joking :) )

16. LauraR

lol...sounds like everyone is having so much fun with this one.rolleyes

My one daughter is off school today and the other has a delay. Damn ice. :p

17. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

I GOT A SNOW DAY!! :strong

Sounds strange saying that since I'm 33 :-D
    Never had a day off work due to weather before, but hey I'll take it :-D

18. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

It's 70°F here...

<duck>

:duck

19. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I'm not even in the US and I'm getting this crap. What's up with that?:p Should get upto 8" blowing snow though it's nice and light since it's cold.(9F)

20. oldandconfusedagain

oldandconfusedagain Private E-2 <i>emeritus</i>

we've had a really pretty nice winter here, up until a couple of weeks ago. not a lot of snow yet, just cold. you easterners' take care, stay warm.

Attached Files:

21. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

oh yeah, it's 82 with a few fluffy clouds today.

I can measure the snow up north by the number of blue license plates. Michigan, New York, Ontario and Quebec.

One day soon i'm going to have "Yours to Discover" dented into my fender if they don't stop cutting across 3 lanes. I'm perfectly happy to share the warmth and the road, just don't leave your manners at home!

22. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

Getting hit in Dallas. All roads are a solid sheet of ice. I just walked to the grocery store behind my house using a rope attached to a laundry basket as a makeshift sled.

I'm also working remote for the firm I support and right now we are having rolling blackouts, so far at work, 6 of them today. Makes trying to safely shutdown and bring up servers again fun.

23. LauraR

It was only a matter of time before this monster worked it's way up, augie. :p

My sister is in Dallas (her 3rd or 4th month) and she keeps emailing me about the stupid stuff that's going on there. She emailed me today with Stupid thing #164: her apartment building forgot to shut the sprinkler system off and the sidewalks got coated with even more ice. :-D

She mentioned the rolling blackouts. She's going into work to get away (federal judge's office) from it. Guess they aren't effected.

24. LauraR

My aunt is in Southern Florida and said it's beautiful there. I'm jealous. I need some warm weather. As far as drivers, those Florida drivers scare me a bit, I have to say. LOL

25. PapaDuke

PapaDuke Master Sergeant

For being in Chicago, I expected alot more...

Just another snowstorm...

26. LauraR

It sort of fizzled out here too. Just got things off to a late start this morning. Other than that, nothing we aren't used to.

27. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Sure you woke up in the right state this time Tim?:-D

I love a good storm but ours are tiny compared to yours,ours blow your hat off,yours blow two by fours through brick walls.

28. LauraR

Why do you suppose we stay here and take it like it's normal?:-D

29. Rikky

Because you have the land of the free,a harmonious,democratic,secular republic :)

You just have to dodge the odd 200mph two by four flying at your face :-D

30. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Thats just Chas saying read the damn Read and Run me Guide for your malware ;)

But seriously storms and ice and snow storms are bad, so look after yourselves and any elderly neighbours as cold is a killer for them.

31. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Got down to 12 degrees F last night. I sure hope that people brought their dogs and cats inside for the night. Read one report of an old woman who fell in her driveway and froze to death. At least if we happen to step on dog crap, it's frozen!! :-D:-D

32. Rikky

roflmao Unless it rolled under your foot and you break your neck.

Ice cold Killer turds.

33. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

We got absolutely nothing up here in the upper left corner... sunny, temperatures in the upper 30's, no wind. Beautiful February weather, in other words. :)

34. LauraR

There is nothing that has the phrase 'temperatures in the upper 30s' that could ever constitute beautiful. :p

35. LauraR

Don't forget about our neverending selection of fast food restaurants. :-D

36. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

That depends entirely on your point of view. I grew up in the far north of Sweden. To me, this is wussy-weather. :p

37. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

USA snowstorms

WE, in OZ, thought we were badly off with floods and cyclones (hurricanes) but they don't compare to the current USA snowstorms

Worst winter storm in decades pounds central US
    http://www.france24.com/en/20110201-usa-snow-storm-flights-cancelled-chicago-ohare-newark-dallas-jfk

Google link at http://www.google.com/search?q=usa+snowstorms&hl=en&num=10&lr=&ft=i&cr=&safe=images&tbs=

Hope you all are OK and not suffering too much.

Bazza

38. LauraR

That was earlier this week. Some got hit hard, some not as much. All in all I think it was just more widespread than most.

39. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Thanks LauraR. I missed that. :-D :-o
    Too busy worrying about cyclones and power. That's my excuse. ;)

Bazza

===

40. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

All melted off here!

41. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

I just got more snow today. And this is wet and heavy, not fluffy and powdery.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds