Drives Stopped Reading Blank Discs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Derm, Oct 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Derm

Derm Private E-2

Hi,
    In the last week both my cdrw drives, on different pc's,stopped reading blank discs.IOW, I try to send a file to disc and I am given the error message.
    " Disc Is full, Please enter a blank or writable disc etc....".
    I have tried 3 different brands of blanks in both machines, so I am ruling out the discs.
    The only changes I made, that I can think of, to both systems were the installation of Magix Photo Manager and the most recent update to Crap Cleaner. I have since uninstalled Photo Manager from both machines.
    One machine is connected to the internet, it has been scanned thoroughly with up to date anti virus (Sophos,Ewido,Kaspersky) and is clean. I also use Registry Mechanic, Adaware & Spybot.
    Both pc's run XP sp2.
    The easy solution to this would probably be System Restore, but I dont have it activated on either machine :eek:.
    Anybody got any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Derm

2. Derm

Derm Private E-2

Anybody?:eek:

3. Flushed

Flushed Private E-2

Have you tried uninstalling and then re-installing the drive. And update the drivers

4. Derm

Derm Private E-2

Hi Flushed,
    Thanks for the reply. I set up a system restore point and uninstalled the drive,this requires a reboot. When the system came back on the drive was still there, the only difference was that it was not not shown in the right click drop down menu, e.g "send file to Drive A,C etc."
    My intention was to reinstall the drivers, its a Dell 2350 and there are no downloadable drivers available, there are none on the Del resource cd either.
    It tells you all the required drivers are pre installed.
    I located the installed drivers within windows and intended to reinstall those, but as the drive did not uninstall I am not sure what to do.
    Regards
    Derm

5. sl00py99

sl00py99 Private First Class

:eek: Hi. It is strange that this is happening on two different pcs. The first thing that comes to mind is that you have some bad blank discs. The other possibility is that you had a power glitch which caused a problem. You might distinguish a hardware problem from a Windows problem by looking into the BIOS setup utility upon boot-up to see if the pc recognizes the drive properly, then after booting, see what Windows tells you in the Device Manager. Good night and good luck.

6. Derm

Derm Private E-2

Hi guys,
    I am still struggling with this problem, it has my head wrecked.:confused:
    Further info:
    ISO Recorder cannot see the drive
    Roxio Easy CD can see the drive

I am sure it is not discs.
    Windows tells me the "device is working properly".
    Does anybody have a clue? I'm going mad:mad:

7. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

1. Open My Computer.

2. Right-click the drive and press Properties.

3. Select the Recording tab.

4. Check the Enable CD recording on this drive box.

5. Press OK.

Steve

8. Derm

Derm Private E-2

Thanks for the reply but its already enabled!

9. cconnect

cconnect Private E-2

Hello Derm,

You mentioned that your computer is a "Dell 2350", so I am assuming that it is a Dell Dimension 2350.

The drivers can be found at the following link:

http://support.dell.com/support/dow...sl=en&catid=&impid=&SystemID=DIM_PNT_CEL_2350

Anyways, one very good suggestion by one of the members was to check your BIOS and see if the drive is detected, before the computer jumps into Windows.

Another thing is to download all the drivers, INCLUDING the chipset drivers. I had this problem with 2 Dell machines in the past, and they were both Dimensions.

Hope this helps!

10. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Thread nearly 2 years old....Closed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds