No sound...need help

Discussion in 'Software' started by BATGEEK, Jul 6, 2009.

1. BATGEEK

BATGEEK Private E-2

Hi Guys,

I have been reading alot of the materials here and tried some of them...no luck.:cry Due to a major virus problem, I reinstalled windows XP PRO from scratch and now I can't get any sound. I was told that I have to first install a chipset software installation utility...I don't know. Somebody please help me! See my Everest system report attached.

Attached Files:

2. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

A quick glance at your report indicates you are only operating with 386 MB of memory. While this may be enough to get XP to kick over it is not enough to do anything but the basics(slows down,freezes etc..); I suggest getting more.

To answer your question we need to ask one>

What brand(make and model #) is your computer ie: Dell,IBM,Gateway,HP ?

Most likely(with a prebuilt PC ) you go to the manufacturers website and find the support for your particular system. Note: There will be multiple downloads of separate drivers from the site-audio/video/chipset/LAN/modem .

I would also recommend a complete cleaning and defragging using the following programs both available here at MG's.
    The cleaner...CCleaner
    http://majorgeeks.com/download4191.html

The defrag tool
    http://majorgeeks.com/Defraggler_d5777.html

I also note you are running service pack 3 , The upgrade to 4 might help.

Oh yeah I am supposed to tell ya not to post a log unless otherwise asked- rolleyes:-D

Didthathelpya

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:wave Welcome to Major Geeks! :major

Yes, you do need to install your chipset software. You can download it from this link. Restart the PC after installing it. I did some research, and another member here at Major Geeks used this driver, but from what I can tell, you have a CMedia audio chipset and you can download the driver from this direct link. Both these drivers are 'zipped'; the first is a standard .ZIP file, the 2nd is a .RAR file and will require the use of a 3rd party file extractor or "unzipper". If you have WinZIP or WinRAR installed already, then you'll be OK. If not, I recommend TUGzip. TUGzip can extract RAR files, ZIP files, 7zip files, many EXE files, and just about any archive or self-extracting archive you're likely to encounter. When installing TUGzip just click 'Next' all the way through. At the end of the install, there will be a little check-box for "Launch TUGzip"; go ahead and launch it; click "Next" all the way through again until you see a "Finish" button; there will be a column on the left side with a bunch of different archive formats; click the "Select All" button; click "Finish". A window will open that looks like an Explorer-type window, close it. Right click the file you downloaded (the file you want to extract) and click the 2nd upward pointing green arrow, it will say something like "Extract to: .\filename" and the file will extract to a folder of the same name.

Good luck!

(BTW- it appears that your PC is an EMachine; if you could post the model number, it would help! Is it a T2984 by chance?)

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Hmmmm.... service pack 4 for Windows XP Pro???? Hmmmm.....

This won't do anything to help with a sound driver problem. While it is a good idea, it has nothing to do with the problem at hand, and the OP did not mention anything about the PC being slow. Let's try to stay on topic.

Uhhhhh.... not true. In this forum, attaching an Everest report to your first post is actually encouraged 'cuz it speeds up the problem solving. This is stated in the first sticky here in the driver forum: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=149107 In the malware forum, logs should not be attached until requested, but that isn't the case here.

@ Petaluma: I understand that you're just trying to help, but let's try to actually help by providing useful and accurate information.
    :-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds