Building stuff

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by motc7, Mar 29, 2010.

1. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

Just started getting into home improvement, using miter saws, circular saws, etc. Man what satisfying work!

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

I agree! When I was 18, I worked for a concrete forming company, building footings and foundations, sometimes even entire building shells. I still get a kick out of seeing the completed buildings I've worked on.

There is a school I worked on about 5KM from here that I helped build out of insulated concrete forms. (Very easy work... its like playing with giant styrofoam lego blocks :-D). There is also an A&W in my hometown that I did the foundation for. Not such a fun job; the excavated hole would not stop filling with water, and it was only AFTER the job was complete that I discovered that it was seepage from the nearby sewage treatment plant - YUCK!

But still - very tangible marks of accomplishment. :)

3. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Best of luck to you, motc7;) We completely redone ours our self, and it was very satisfying and actually fun. The only thing we didn't do, was the foundation. That was hired out, but we tore out all the walls,and put in knotty pine and knotty cedar,:drool, and put in new, floors, ceilings, and even put on the roof and siding. :drool

One thing about wood, is, if you make a mistake, you can always throw it in the wood burner!:-D Remember, measure twice, cut once! :p Less to go into the wood burner that way! LOL

One thing for sure, when you are done, you don't have to tell anyone the mistakes you made, and if you don't point them out, nobody will see them anyway. Also, remember, SAFETY FIRST!;)

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Hehe.... after more than 20 years doing all phases of construction and having had a mentor in my youth, the one thing my good friend would always say if there was a minor flaw in the outcome, was that he did that in order to not offend the gods!! LOL

5. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Cute Tim! We made a few, but most went into the wood-burner we had at the time. So, nothing actually got wasted. Even built the kitchen cupboards, to MY specs! LOL Gotta have MY kitchen the way I want it!:p

It was fun, and very satisfying when we got it done. Started on the inside, and worked our way out. ;) Doing it our-self, we didn't do the entire house at one time, we did it room by room, as finances allowed, and weather permitting. (Did the roof, and had beautiful weather---UNTIL the last 1/4! ONE huge black cloud just HAD to come over! LOL)

Now, we have OUR house, we did ourselves, our way :)

6. motc7

I agree with everyone, and I'm starting to see that like myself, many people in IT love to do things totally opposite of IT stuff in their free time.

Last night for example was a night of firsts.

1. First time I laid down linoleum.
    2. First time I laid down carpet.
    3. First time I installed baseboards.

Got it all done and man the women's shelter is looking better and better.

7. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

That is great to hear, motc7 :) There is a lot of Pride one feels when they do that. :) Glad you are too. It is a nice feeling when you stand back, and look at your finished product. Lots of Pride! Just keep it up, there are a lot of firsts to be done !;) Well done!

8. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Nice, it can be fun doing stuff like that. Even I enjoy it when doing it at home, sometimes I enjoy it when I do it at work too :-D

@TeeCee.... Mistakes?.......lol we always used to say a mistake adds character :-D

I was always over critical of my own work, I remember the first time I converted a flat tar roof to a tiled half pitch roof, had to build up the gables with brick and attatch the ridge to flintwork (not easy). When I was done I looked at it and could see several things I wasn't happy with, just little niggly things. The owners came home and were very happy, the lady was even a little teary eyed lol
    That was nearly 10 years ago and they have had no leaks or lost/broken tiles, no issues at all :)
    You'll see all the mistakes you make, but very few others will simply because you know it's there.
    And there's not a tradesman in the world who doesn't leave small mistakes alone, in many cases it's just too much work to make it right when it's not needed.

9. motc7

Even though it was Easter weekend, God's work is never done. We worked on the women's shelter on Saturday and Sunday. The latter I question since it was the Sabbath, but even Yeshua healed the sick on Sunday. :wave:p

Finished replacing the rotted out window frame boards and it looks good. Granted this is a double wide we are dealing with of considerable age, but nevertheless, it's a home away from abuse for these women and frankly, a double wide is better than a slap in the face from a jackass husband/boyfriend who really doesn't love them. wow, where did that come from?!

Tomorrow I have to build a box to cover the hit area, and then we got some more eaves work to do. Most of the work is completed though.

10. abz1nthe

abz1nthe Command Sergeant Major

ya thats the satisfaction of working in the construction/carpentry field, your completed works can be seen for years and years to come :)

I did house construction and renovation for a couple years before getting into the computer field.

11. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Yes, motc7, that is a really good thing you are doing. I am sure they really appreciate it too. I would like to see the day come, when NO ONE is in need of that shelter, but we both know that will never happen. Kudos to you!;)

12. motc7

Unfortunately no, that day will not come until the Second Coming. Until then the world seemingly has a limitless supply of bastards.

13. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

I agree, motc7, and they are even multiplying. We can do all we can to help those who are in need, tho. ;)

14. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Thats awesome man, nice to see.
    I'm starting to understand a bit more behind the Av and Sig, maybe not too many differences between you..... except the hair I'm sure lol

Good work sir :)

15. silas

silas MajorGeek

Not to but in but I am just now learning tiles and laying boards underneath them.(bad floor to begin with) But ripping up and laying board down then adding some tiles. Growing up I never had the dad that worked on things and showed me to much he worked constantly just to make something small. So I learned what I can from friends and mainly It was working on CJ5 and CJ7 Jeep my buddy had. I always wished I had someone there to teach me some tricks but I guess not. Only thing I do learn is when someone I know needs fixing and I either can do it or someone else I know is the business comes and shows me. Mostly done cement work of all kinds.

16. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Hi Silas, no problem. :) I didn't either, so trial and error here. We did learn that an electric planer is a whole lot easier than a manual planer! Our arms thanked us LOL

We laid ceramic tile, and the one thing we found out, is you have to have a good level floor for tile. You also need some good under-layment. Then, lay your tile. Personally, I do NOT like to do the grouting. I did, but would prefer not again. Grrrrrr.

If you are using peel & stick tile, you won't need the grout. Either way, just be sure you find the center of the room and have at it. A tape measure is yoru best friend;)

17. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

And just to add to what TeeCee said, to get a nice level floor you can often use Latex Leveling solution/compound (may be named differently in other areas), can be used on almost any kind of floor and you mix it with water to get consistency needed for the job :)

Tip for leveling compound: Mix it wetter than you think it shold be and let it find it's own level, float it as little as possible, the more you play with it the harder it gets to level and the more likely you are to end up with dips and trowel marks.

18. motc7

How so?

BTW, we have finished all major construction operations on the women's shelter. Last night I finished the box cover for the hitch, but I over cut on one end, but it's not that bad. It does the job overall and I guess that's all that matters.

19. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Well trying my best not to sound a little "too friendly" , helping people and especially enjoying helping people is not that much of a stretch from saving the universe, just different degree's.

Not many people are willing to help just to help, everyone wants to get as much as they can in exchange for helping out.

I've done a bit in the past, youth work to some degree, built a half pipe skate ramp for the local kids many moons ago, helped restore lifeboats and lifeboat housing etc.

Feels good doesn't it :)

Basically sums up in the familiar line "What a guy" :)

I dunno, just how my mind works.........when it works :-D

20. motc7

Understood Listy.

21. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Our construction law around here is "If you bought it, you better make it work"...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds