Windows Update for XP?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Amelia, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Amelia

Amelia Private E-2

Hi all,

I'm running Windows XP SP3 Media Center Edition and was surprised to find a Windows update available recently. I installed and found NONE of my browsers would open at all! Very bizarre.

Initially thought virus, so ran:
    Avast boot-time scan
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
    TDSS killer to check for root kit virus.

All came up clean.

I then did a system restore to a couple of days ago and it's fine. System restore wouldn't fix a virus anyway would it? So can't be a virus?

So, now of course, I'm apparently being offered the updates again. Why am I? And should I try again?

I've seen there's a .NET one in the update and wonder if this is what messed with the browsers?

Many thanks
    Amelia

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

It's a good thing you were able to do a System Restore.

I'm running XP Pro SP3.

I'd be leary of "supposed" updates. I'm sure you're aware that support for XP ended 4/8/14 and the only updates offered by Microsoft for XP since then have been definition updates for Security Essentials and the monthly release of the Malicious Software Removal Tool. There were 2 "emergency" updates offered afterward. Do you happen to know the KB number(s) of these "updates"? And how are they being offered? via Windows Update?

System Restore could return your computer to the state it was in before you contracted a virus if that virus didn't corrupt System Restore points.

3. rustysavage

rustysavage Sergeant Major

System Restore uses restore points to return your system files and settings to an earlier point in time without affecting personal files. So, whether or not a system restore "cures" an infection would depend on what type of malware and which files the malware affects. For example, if you contracted a virus that got into your personal file executables, then the system restore won't fix it.

4. Amelia

Amelia Private E-2

Thanks for both replies. I guess if it was a virus I'm lucky. No sign of anything now - although I'm still suspicious.

The updates are being offered via Windows Update as usual as far as I can ascertain - the yellow shield in the taskbar. I had automatic updates turned on - I've turned it to 'notify only' now.

You haven't been offered any?

I'm not sure how to find out about the KB numbers and I'm going away until Friday so haven't got time to look into it right now.

If it is/was a virus I can't find any mention of anyone else having contracted it - which leads me to think that it's not! It certainly would be a very effective virus that could masquerade as Windows Update.

I'm thinking Microsoft messed my PC up (or something less polite ;o)).

Seriously considering making my next computer an Apple. Sick of all this virus paranoia and I've heard there's virtually no problem with them.

Grateful for any more insights - thanks.

5. mdonah

There's a way to determine those KB numbers. It involves going to the Microsoft Udate site in IE8, allowing the Active X to be installed and choosing "Custom". The site will search for updates for your computer and put up a list of "Critical" and Optional updates with their KB numbers. I'm really interested because I can check to see if those updates are installed on my XP Pro machine and then advise you.

6. Amelia

Amelia Private E-2

Hi mdonah,

Well, it turned out to be quite a different problem in the end.

I thought I'd fixed it with a system restore, but when I restarted the PC all my browsers didn't work again. So I went back to system restore and could see that when I had restarted 'Trusteer Endpoint Protection' had installed itself - aka Rapport from IBM. I installled it from my bank a few weeks ago and it had been fine. It protects against banking trojan viruses apparently. Anyway, I uninstalled it and bingo browsers fine (I've restarted several times since).

Anyway, glad it wasn't a virus.

The background to all this that I should probably mention is I had a user set up that was failing to start-up sometimes so I decided to delete it. Problems started after that.

And finally the windows updates. Well, I found a way to check in 'Add and Remove programs' - just check the 'show updates' box and indeed I had had some updates - many to Office 2003. But the K numbers date back to an update from 2010!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So my best guess is having multiple users, Rapport and then deleting a user somehow got Windows updates all confused. Some sort of conflict?

Life's been really weird these last few days - and this is just the least of it!

7. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Recommend you report this to Rapport. Could be, with the end of XP support by MS, that a Rapport update has a conflict with XP. I've found Rapport falling over themselves to sort things out when there is a problem. Rapport's main function is to ensure, when you click on a link to your bank or whatever, that you are actually connecting to the right site and haven't been redirected elsewhere. I wouldn't use internet banking without it.

8. mdonah

And getting back to your last reply, you stated that the updates date back to 2010. This tells me that you're running SP2 and need to install SP3 for the additional updates that are still available (up to 4/8/2014).

9. Amelia

Amelia Private E-2

Yes, good idea :)

When I uninstalled I was invited to an online help chat thing to help me fix the problem by Rapport - which I accepted. But guess what, it didn't work. Why not? Oh yes, I remember because Rapport was stopping the browsers working!!!!!!!!! :-D

I had SP3 and all updates - I've always had 'automatic updates' turned on until now.

Cheers everyone.

10. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

If you have Trusteer installed atm the online chat is working - click on the icon and Help and Support - or you can submit a ticket. You are at quite enough risk using XP for banking without doing it minus Rapport :(

11. Amelia

Amelia Private E-2

Just to finish this thread off for anyone seeking help for same...

It seems Microsoft did release an update on 09/09/14 which included XP for the Maicious Software Removal tool:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/malicious-software-removal-tool-details.aspx

I'd had updates prior to this though that were perhaps a preparation for this one? Because I had some incomplete/corrupted updates? Anyway, allowed all updates and now Rapport is happy too.

The only weird thing was I started to get a loud beep when I connected to the internet and another piece of software had a different noise. Reading around it seemed (surprise, surprise) windows update was the likely cause.

You can disable it by going to Device Manager>Show hidden devices>non plug and play drivers> where you'll find 'beep' - disable it! :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds