Strange happening with facebook

Discussion in 'Software' started by alterintel, Aug 30, 2014.

1. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

After I logged out of MG about an hour ago I went to yahoo briefly, then to facebook. When I tried to log in I got a message saying my account was temporarily locked. It said that it was because I was logging in from a device I'd never logged in from before. But that is totally untrue as I only use the computer I am on and have never logged in from anything else. Nor have I used profanity or threatened anyone on there, so on. I barely do anything on facebook and have almost no profile. I wonder if this is a ploy to get more into my business. Why would they think I was logging in from a different device? Would appreciate any input on this.
    alterintel

2. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Sounds like someone reported your account.

3. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Nick t.
    Why would they? I barely have a presence on Facebook. I don't flame or curse or threaten, so on. I use it to keep up with some relatives and friends on there. And why would the message then, say they are doing it because they detect I am signing in from a different device from usual. Also, they wanted my birthdate and for me to scan my id for them online. I'd never do that. As well, when I just signed in to MG, and was typing in my password, a wide red line appeared on the left bottom of the screen with my password in it. So I am wondering what is going on.
    I am worried someone has hacked me. How can I find out?
    alterintel

4. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

Are you on a dynamic IP address? If so, your IP address may have changed, and Facebook "thinks" you are logging in from a different device or location.

5. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

To add on to what pwillener stated, have you done any malware and spyware scans for such things as a backdoor trojan or a keylogger ? Also, have you changed your passwords or found some passwords not working ?

6. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Doing a search, it seems that Facebook will in fact ask for scanned ID sometimes (http://www.examiner.com/article/does-facebook-ever-ask-for-id-to-verify-your-account)

Here is the link to appeal the suspension of your account: https://www.facebook.com/help/contact/260749603972907

It sounds like someone maybe tried to log in under you account or it was a bug (or you did something inadvertantly that was against their terms of service.)

You do, in fact, need to submit an ID in order to prove you are who you are. You will most likely not be able to get your account back, unless you do so.

Also, a lot of sites now use your cell phone for verification as well. They will send a code to your phone that you have to enter. It is smart to have your number on file.

All that being said, I agree with both posts above that said you should perform scans on your machine. What you saw logging in here with the red line certainly does sound suspicious. I would probably go through our removal procedures before anything: READ & RUN ME FIRST Malware Removal Guide (incl. spyware, virus, trojan, hijacker)

7. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

pwilliner,
    I have a cable connection and my ip changes whenever I reconnect to the net. I don't leave it always on ever. I change daily, so Facebook should be aware of that. They said before that that I was logging in from a different 'device', too. At first they wanted my birth date [which I never tell] and a picture of my state id, and over an unencrypted connection at that. I would never give that on line, even if encrypted. I thought it might be some scam. But the next day I got back into my account. They asked if I'd logged in from town in my state, and gave the time, I said that I'd logged in at that time. They have no phone no. so resolving these things is awful. But I left feedbacks, which they never responded to. I told them they had to know that isps could have servers all over one's state, and even out of state, and I again asked them to let me know what was really going on, to no avail. Anyway, I am back in, but very odd experience.
    alterintel

8. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Thanks Laura,
    I have gotten back in. They just asked me the day after to verify that I was the one trying to log in the day before and I did. I just use facebook to keep up with people I know at a distance.

9. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Laura,
    I don't think I have enough technical ability to do the read and run thing. I run daily scans, and so far they are clean, and I know there could still be problems. I just very recently had the computer checked and the tech said he was surprised at how good running and clean of bugs, ect my 'museum piece' was.

10. alterintel

alterintel Corporal

Nick t,
    I have done daily scans and also rootkit scans. My passwords work, I did do some changing, but they all work. What would I use to scan for keyloggers and trojans. I have a fairly common antimalware/spyware program,that I use alot daily, but don't know if it catches keyloggers and trojans. Would a keylogger be able to remotely get into my machine, because the tech I had look over my computer recently [he declared it clean] looked inside because I asked him to look for anything that shouldn't be there, and there was not anything.
    alterintel

11. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

The Read and Run Me procedure looks long and complicated, but it is not. Its written for any level of computing skill to follow. They are also the tools that you would use to determine if you had keyloggers or trojans...along with having one of our experts look at your logs to be sure there was nothing hiding that normal Antivirus wouldn't pick up.

It is, of course, up to you whether you do it or not. It does not cost you anything but would give you peace of mind.

The Facebook thing could easily be someone trying to access your account from somewhere other than your computer, or some bug. The thing I would be concerned about is that red line you were describing when you typed your password.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds