Problems with Windows 7 System 64 bit Window Explorer keeps crashing

Discussion in 'Software' started by wjriv, Sep 2, 2014.

1. wjriv

wjriv Private E-2

I posted in Malware because I thought I might have been infected.

But after all of the scans that were performed we could not determine if it was the cause of the problem.

I have been having the Windows Explorer crash and restart when I do certain things. Especially if I try to get in system settings.

After I posted my last reply and attached the logs I decided to take a look at the Event Viewer to see if I could get any specific errors for why Windows Explorer would keep crashing and restarting.. I got this error: Unable to open eventvwr.exe-"MMC cannot open the file C:/windows/system32/eventvwr.msc

So I ran a sfc scan and found that a bunch of things were missing or corrupt.
    Msxml.dll (Missing or Corrupt)
    Msxml2.dll (Missing or Corrupt)
    Msxml3.dll (I think this one was ok)

I have attached the log for the full scan to the Problems with Windows 7 System 64 bit. post as CBS Log.zip

It would not let me re-attach it here..

Thanks

2. rustysavage

rustysavage Sergeant Major

I searched your CBS.log file and found no references to "msxml*.dll" files. Where and when did you see a message informing you that the aforementioned msxml*.dll files are corrupt or missing on your system?

According to the CBS.log that you attached to your malware forum post, the files that could not be repaired by SFC are as follows:

Chrysanthemum.jpg
    Clip_1080_5sec_10mbps_h264.mp4
    Clip_1080_5sec_MPEG2_HD_15mbps.mpg
    Clip_1080_5sec_VC1_15mbps.wmv
    Clip_480_5sec_6mbps_h264.mp4
    Clip_480i_5sec_6mbps_new.mpg
    Clip_480p_5sec_6mbps_new.mpg
    Desert.jpg
    Hydrangeas.jpg
    Jellyfish.jpg
    Kalimba.mp3
    Koala.jpg
    Lighthouse.jpg
    Maid with the Flaxen Hair.mp3
    Penguins.jpg
    Sleep Away.mp3
    Tulips.jpg
    Wildlife.wmv
    win7_scenic-demoshort_raw.wtv
    winsat.wmv
    winsatencode.wmv
    --------------------------
    SampleRes.dll
    brmsl07.bin
    brmfcwia.inf
    moricons.dll
    desktop.ini

All but the last five of these are multimedia files that are not going to cause Windows Explorer to crash so I wouldn't worry about these files being missing or corrupt.

Corruption of the msxml* DLL files, on the other hand, could be causing the crashes. See the following page for instructions on how to replace these OS files, along with some other recommended actions (including disk and memory tests):

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/msxml3-dll-not-found-missing-error.htm

3. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

If you have the install DVD or made the recovery CD, I'd run a repair. Those picture files are used for your user accounts (I use the chess set.).

4. rustysavage

rustysavage Sergeant Major

Man, I just couldn't figure out why Windows would want to preserve those pics alongside important system files. How did you ever tie them to user accounts?
    Now if I can just figure out why Windows needs "Maid with the Flaxen Hair.mp3"

5. wjriv

wjriv Private E-2

I was following the instructions from this link about msxml*.dll

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914231#LetMeFixItMyself

When I ran it it told me the files were corrupt and could not be fixed.

I have repair CD that I made and 5 DVD's if I want to re-install everything the way it was when I first got the computer. Unfortunately I do not have just a plain Windows 7 install disk. I have been pretty good about backing things up on a regular basis and in March I actually made a System Image of the computer. (as far a I know I did not have any serious issues at that time).

The main problem I am having is that all of a sudden programs and system files have stopped working. Like I said I try to go and make a system restore point and everytime I do that the Windows Explorer crashes.. Also I am not able to update with Windows Update. I tried to run a fix for that and it failed as well. So I can try to run a repair, but I don't know if that will work either. What is the best way for me to do this?

Thanks

6. mdonah

You can change your account "Avatar". I've seen these pictures among those choices. As far as the music snips, I don't really know. Perhaps "System Sounds"?

You'd boot from your "Repair CD" and choose repair instead of install now. You can't do a re-installation with the Repair CD.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  7. wjriv

wjriv Private E-2

I am attaching a screen shot..

Attached Files:

8. mdonah

Could you please take another screen shot without the regsvr box (click OK) so I can see what's behind it and tell you how to enter it into the Command Prompt window?

9. wjriv

wjriv Private E-2

More error screen shots.

Attached Files:

10. mdonah

I see that you changed directory (cd) correctly and entered what you were told. Why you only got one confirmation of success, I don't know. Did you type exit and hit enter to close Command Prompt and restart your computer?

11. wjriv

wjriv Private E-2

Sometimes I run CMD by right clicking on it and selecting run as administrator which does the same thing as changing to the system directory.

I have typed Exit and restarted the computer many times.

I also tried to run some scans when you start up the computer and press F8.

I selected the Recovery Console and did a hardware and memory scan.

However when it finishes it closes out so I can't see the results. It says I should see them on the next boot but I have not had any luck with that..

I think I might be best off just re-installing everything by doing a clean install.

I will try to see if the boot up on CD will let me do a repair first but if I don't have any luck with that I will then try a System Image Restore..

If that doesn't work them a Clean install back to factory system settings.

12. mdonah

Sometimes a clean install is the best way to go and some will tell you it's always better than a repair. However, in Post #5 you state you have the recovery and 5 other discs but NOT a Win 7 install disc. I hope you're able to return your computer to the state it was in when you got it. If you are, please post back here on how you accomplished the task without a Win install DVD.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds