pdf files loading as aspx no option to view

Discussion in 'Software' started by jannie3, Sep 2, 2014.

1. jannie3

jannie3 Private First Class

My pc has developed a problem when trying to open pdf files. One of the files i have opened before no problem but when viewing my online bills when i try to open the file it is saying ' aspx id=3259c6b8-9e38=4ce6-a30e-2 ... do you want to open or save? if I try to open nothing happens and the same if I try to save or save as. I have checked other saved pdf files on my pc and they open ok and i have the latest java installed and adobe reader. Ive tried online research to solve this and they seem to point towards the particular website itself as the culprit. Im not convinced by this as a pdf email I received ages ago used to open but now its got the same error. What can I do? Any clues anyone?

2. rustysavage

rustysavage Sergeant Major

I have a couple of questions first:

Which operating system and which browser are you using?
    Does your browser use any add-ons or plug-ins that block scripts? (e.g. NoScript)
    And let me see if I got this straight. You currently have an old downloaded PDF file on your hard drive that used to open without problems but now gives you the exact same error message that you get when you attempt to download/view an online PDF file using your web browser. Is that correct?

If you are having identical problem opening both online and offline (browser based) PDF files it seems likely that the problem lies with Adobe Acrobat Reader (corrupted installation). The only way to know if that's true is to uninstall/reinstall Acrobat and see if it solves the problem. Or, you might consider getting rid of Adobe altogether and switching to a smaller faster PDF reader like Sumatra.

3. jannie3

Hi rustysavage. I'm using VISTA and internet explorer. Sorry I wasnt very clear before. I have old PDF files in eg My Docs and these open ok. When I go online to read my fuel bill I get the error above. Additionally in my email account I received a PDF file from a company and used to be able to open it but now get the error. This company sent me a new PDF today and I cant open that either.It shows the file as PDF before I try to open but when I press open it says this error'what do you want to do with GetAttachment-aspx?file=27c26136-bd02-45bd-910b...' Then the option is underneath to choose save or save as but nothing happens at all if I click any of these options. I dont think I have anything which blocks scripts.Thanks

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Apparently Adobe is the default pdf included in Internet Explorer.
    http://antivirus.about.com/od/secur...er-From-Opening-Pdfs-In-Internet-Explorer.htm

I don't run Vista and I do not have Adobe Reader. I use Sumatra.

Let me see if I can get Sumatra to view a pdf when I fire up IE on my Win 7 desktop.

First hurtle. I get this when I try to view a pdf manual for one of my computers.
    Yes I have flash14.0.0.179 which is the latest version from 12 Aug. 2014.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  5. plodr

Additional info I discovered after I was allowed to edit my post.

Sumatra does not work in Internet Explorer.
    Source: http://forums.fofou.org/sumatrapdf/topic?id=2597355

I will see if IE allows anything besides Adobe.
    Apparently Foxit might work.

1. What version of IE are you running?
    2. What version of Adobe Reader are you running?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  6. jannie3

Im using internet explorer 9. Ive found more info if this may help. I've tried again to open the recently received pdf attachment in outlook. If I double click on the file i can see it downloading but then it just disappears. If I try to save it I am getting this (I've had to type this as it will not give me any option to copy either '' Do you want to save GetAttachment+aspc.?file=file=f38ba0e2-0470-4b4b-88e0-3178608537e7_zip&ct=YXBwbGljYXRpb24vemlw%nam...(1.24mb)from dub128.afx.ms? '' Then underneath this I have save, or save as option but nothing happens if I click on either or these. Also the whole thing freezes and I have to close the internet connection and re-open or stop with the Task Manager.

7. plodr

I also need to know the version of Adobe Reader before I search.

8. plodr

First possible solution: Reset the Display PDF In Browser preference
    In Reader or Acrobat, right-click the document window, and select Page Display Preferences.
    From the list at left, select Internet.
    Deselect Display PDF In Browser, and then click OK.
    Choose Edit > Preferences > Internet, select Display PDF In Browser, and then click OK.
    Try to open the PDF again from the website.

Second thing to check:
    Acrobat and Reader are 32-bit applications on Windows. If you try to open a PDF in a 64-bit version of Internet Explorer, the PDF opens in stand-alone Acrobat or Reader, not in Internet Explorer.
    Note: Only Reader 10.1 or Acrobat 10.1 and later support Internet Explorer 9.

Third: Adobe doesn't support a mix of versions of Reader and Acrobat on the same computer (such as Reader X and Acrobat 9). If you have both Reader and Acrobat installed, make sure that they are the same version. Also make sure that you don't have two copies of Reader or Acrobat installed. Having multiple or mismatched versions can lead to software conflicts and errors. Uninstall all versions of Reader or Acrobat, and then reinstall only one version of the product.

Fourth: Repair Adobe
    Click Start > Control Panel, Click Programs, and then click Programs and Features.
    In the list of programs, select Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat.
    Click Change and follow the instructions to repair the application

Fifth: Enable Adobe pdf browser add-on
    http://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/cant-view-pdf-web.html#main_Enable_AdobePDF_dll

9. jannie3

Hi plodr
    First- In Adobe Reader X1 I tried this but when i click on page display I cant see any document to right click on. I have found preferences under the edit button and i only get three options. - either display in read mode by default, allow fast web view and allow speculative downloading in the background.there is no display pdf in browser option.

Second thing to check- sorry I dont know what you mean by this ie 32 bit etc

Third - Installed on my PC adobe wise, I have adobe reader x1,and adobe AIR
    adobe flash player 14 activex. Would any of these conflict with each other?

Fourth - I did the repair but there is no difference.

Fifth - I went to the link and this suggested checking if a PDF file stored on my PC opened Ok compared to the ones I am having problems with ie the online ones. However, I havent got a PDF saved on my PC so I dont know how to create one on the PC. I have tried saving a word file into a PDF file using Microsoft Works Processor but there is no option under save as to save the file as a PDF

Can you help any further and a big thanks for your time so far.

10. plodr

Well, I do not use Adobe Reader nor Internet Explorer so I can't test anything I've posted. (I'm unwilling to install Adobe Reader then spend time uninstalling and all the registry entries it leaves behind).

Second Item: o[en Internet Explorer then click Help and About Internet Explorer. If you do not see 64 bits near the version, then it is the 32 bit version of IE that you are running.
    To hunt down the 32 bit version look here C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Third: no conflict there.

Fifth: download a pdf like the manual for your computer.

11. jannie3

Right - Ive got 32bit version. I've also downloaded a pdf manual to PC and that opens fine with Adobe Reader so at least you have narrowed it down to its the files that I'm opening online where the problem lies. I used to be able to open them before though. This has only happened in the last few months.

12. plodr

I know in FF, I had to allow my pdf program, Sumatra, to install a plugin so it would open in my browser.
    Perhaps the "plugin", if there is such a thing in IE, got damaged so you need to fix it to open pdfs in your browser. If you can't fix this, then you'll have to download everything to see it.

Scroll down here http://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/cant-view-pdf-web.html
    to the section "switch to compatibility" setting in IE.

13. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

Just in case you ever need/want to do it, there is a cleaner tool that should completely clean out Adobe Reader and Acrobat: http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/acrobatcleaner.html

14. plodr

Thanks anyway. I use Revo Uninstaller for 32 bit apps. It gets tiresome clicking all the registry entries for removal on something like Adobe Reader. Or sometimes I make an image, install something that I know will have so many regestry entries, then restore the image I made before the program was installed.

For 64 bit apps that the free Revo does not see, I use Advanced Uninstaller Free.

15. jannie3

Ive managed to view my online bills now by using Firefox as a workaround. In internet explorer I also looked for and viewed a pdf manual and this had no problems. So to its sorted ( in a way) and the answer must be that its a problem with these particular sites' PDFS rather than my PC? Thanks again Ploder for all the investigations you have done on this for me. :clap

16. plodr

You're welcome, jannie3.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds