power overload=pc wont work turns on but nothing comes up on monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MFISHERMAN, Dec 10, 2006.

1. MFISHERMAN

MFISHERMAN Private E-2

I had 2 space heaters hooked up in my room and the circut breaker kept shutting of because it was being overloaded so i turned off all my stuff but the heaters then my brother went to use my computer and the circuit breaker went out and i turnede it back on and now my computer wont work. What could be wrong with it? It turns on but the monitor gets no signal it doesnt display anything.

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

Either your PSU went out, or ye need to reseat all power connectors on the psu. But, my guessing, is that PSU blew.

Also, you'll need to either move the space heaters powersource to a different location. Most home outlets are only rated for a certain amount of amps.

3. MFISHERMAN

MFISHERMAN Private E-2

How would i reset them and if its blown how much would it cost to get a new one

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

Well, mainly, pull the power plug from the PSU, also, remove the battery from the mobo. Wait 5 mins, replace the battery, then replug the power plug back into the PSU.

A PSU (power supply unit), costs anywhere from $50 to $500, pending on what ye need, and what your hardware requires.

Some system specs would be nice. :) To determine what ye need. :)

5. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Most Household outlets are rated at 15 Amps which is the max they can push through, take the wattage of your "Heaters" and divide by your line voltage typically 110 volts, in the UK 220 volts this will give your amperage....ie 1,500 watt heater divided by 110 volts = 13.64 amps. So you may simply have the Houshold circuit overloaded, if not I agree with theefool's advise. Hope that Helps

6. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Never I REPEAT NEVER EVER open a PSU, unless you are a certified tech, you can cause more harm by changing a "Simple Fuse" in your PSU. Aimsgun@u advising someone to open a certified PSU and change a fuse is in the least a foolish thing to do, and can lead to some serious problems. One S/He could fry the rest of there system, start a house fire, with no insurance coverage or worse. Taking a PSU apart and playing with it to see how it works is one thing but to repair and install without proper knowledge or training is fool hardy.

Sorry if this post is harsh, but I do not want to see someone hurt from listening to poor advise:D

7. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

This is oh so true.....Your PSU is designed to convert AC voltage to Direct current voltage which is suitable for use with sensitive electronic equipment.

Two things on a PC that you should never mess with inside (unless you have special training and equipment) are (1) Your PSU, and (2) Your monitor.....both of these devices have powerful electrolytic, and filter capacitors inside which are capable of holding extremely dangerous amounts of voltage, even long after you have disconnected them from the main power source.
    These capacitors have the ability to produce a potentially DEADLY electrical shock.
    Note that the danger to you is not only in your body providing a conducting
    path, particularly through your heart, but also any involuntary muscle contractions caused by a shock, while perhaps harmless in themselves, may cause collateral damage - there are many sharp edges inside this type of equipment as well as other electrically live parts you may contact accidentally.

Regards...

8. MFISHERMAN

MFISHERMAN Private E-2

Thanks everybody

9. MFISHERMAN

MFISHERMAN Private E-2

I disconnected everything and took out thr psu and then i put it back in and the computer wont even turn on now, So it has to be a blown psu then right?

thanks again

10. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

This is most likely so.....yes!

One safe way to know for sure is to test your PSU with a multimeter, if you have one, or some spare dollars to purchase a meter from 'Radioshack' or the likes (they are fairly cheap). Go with a good quality unit as it may come in handy for future use!

Here is a great guide that will explain this process for you
    http://www.driverheaven.net/guides/testingPSU/

Regards...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds