High CPU Usage for Interrupts Whenever I Play Music (SCREENSHOTS)

Discussion in 'Software' started by pervnerve, Jun 21, 2007.

1. pervnerve

pervnerve Private First Class

http://bingweb.binghamton.edu/~jmallen1/pics/interrupts.jpg

That's before and after I select a new song to start playing in iTunes. I have a dual-core E6400, so that 47.26% you see there is more like 94% of the whole first core, as indicated by the performance tab of the task manager.

http://bingweb.binghamton.edu/~jmallen1/pics/perf.jpg

When this happens, the music slows down drastically. Listen to the album version of "The Rockafeller Skank" by Fatboy Slim at 4:07 for a perfect example of what I hear for EVERY song that I start. I start a song, 10 seconds into it does that, continues for another 10, then goes back to normal.

It's not just music (although it's only iTunes that does it... for some reason, foobar2000 works fine). Movies, as well, often suffer. It's obviously my actions triggering the high interrupt usage.

Any suggestions? I want to say it has something to do with my sound card, since it only started after I upgraded to it (from Santa Cruz to Bluegears b-Enspirer).

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Some PC specs would be handy. ;)
    What operating system (XP Home, Pro, Vista?)
    How much installed RAM?
    How much FREE Ram?
    How many processes running?
    What Browser are you using, etc.?
    With more info, we should be able to help you better and quicker.:D Bazza

===

3. pervnerve

Nearly all of that information is provided in my signature and in the screenshots. That's why I provided them. ;)

As for the question not answered, I use Firefox 2.0.0.3.

4. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Unfortunately there is no indicator that specs have been included in a signature. :cry
    Very few MG'ers load their specs in their signature, I would guess.
    Not many people replying to posts are going to check signatures on the off-chance that the specs are there.
    We need a separate icon, IMO, to indicate that specs have been stored. Bazza

===

5. pervnerve

Here's a link to my Belarc Advisor profile (with some of the software license info removed, obviously).

The sound card is a Bluegears b-Enspirer (a very new card). It got good feedback, and it certainly has a great sound, but I suspected it was the main problem. I deactivated my C-Media Audio (the card) through DM. After restart, Windows found my other sound device, a firewire audio interface, and used it for default sounds. However, it too suffered from the random interrupt CPU spikes.

Any other suggestions? In the meantime, I'm going to try swapping bays and putting in an old sound card. Anything other than sound that you guys want to throw at me, by all means.

...And in the unlikely chance that I have not supplied adequate specifications, holler at me.

6. pervnerve

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds