ASUS Mobo P7H55-M LX new confusion, continued from July 20th, same title

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dandla, Sep 3, 2011.

1. dandla

dandla Private E-2

Aloha to all the geeks and geek weenies,
    My last post about this mobo was in July...A little background...I'm building a new home use desktower, new case, new mobo, new processor, new RAM.
    Mobo is still the ASUS P7H55-MLX (BIOS v. 0402, build 10/29/10), exchanged a Intel CORE i5 760 (Lynnwood) for a i5 650 (Clarkdale) @ 3.20GHz, 4GB DDR3 DIMM RAM, 4HDD's, 3 Optical drives, no add on PCI cards. Using integrated graphics. OS/ WIN-XPSP3, 32BIT.
    Ist boot with new CPU was successfull, great video graphics and POST and entry into BIOS, where settings were changed in the "SATA" and "Boot Order" fields. Successfull exit from BIOS and boot into WIN-XPSP3. Entered control panel and changed display monitor resolution and size of icons, and various other minor settings. Entered Device Manager and discovered several yellow exclamations for inoperable devices. Loaded the mobo drivers from the ASUS DVD, rev.812.02, and exited windows. Rebooted, received "no DVI video signal" error on monitor. Changed cables and hookup into D-Sub and booted, again "no D-sub video signal" on monitor, changed back to DVI cable and waited 30 minutes for 3rd boot attempt. Again no video signal error. Tried 6 more unsuccesfull boot attempts, before quitting for the night.
    Started reviewing the ASUS mobo manual and found that the mobo definetly supports WIN-XP/VISTA/WIN7, however, when reviewing the memory specification summary there's a notation that if using a 32bit O/S, the memory won't recognize more than 3GB's. I'm usung a 32bit v. of WIN-XP, and have 4GB's of RAM loaded.
    I'm removing 1 stick (2GB) of RAM tomorrow, but in the meantime does anyone have any other pearls to share, or questions to ask that might lead to other possible explanations.
    Mahalo to all,
    konadon:confused

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

It is unlikely the 32-bit version of Windows is causing the issue. As noted in your post, 32-bit versions of Windows will not recognize or use more than 3.5GB of installed RAM - unless one of the sticks of RAM is defective, it's doubtful dropping down to 2GB will solve the issue.

I would get on another PC, go to ASUS' support site and download the latest BIOS and drivers for the board. Burn the extracted (unzipped) copy of the BIOS to one CD, put the extracted copies of the latest drivers on a seperate CD (Be sure to download drivers specifically listed for Windows 7 32-bit).

If the PC will boot to the point of accessing the BIOS menu, you can use the ASUS EZ-FLASH option to update the BIOS without entering Windows.

Next, boot Windows into Safe Mode (F8 at startup) and attempt to load the latest drivers you downloaded. Not all drivers will load in Safe Mode; however many will. You can have Device Manager open during this process to see if the yellow "?"s and red "X"s go away as the drivers are loaded.

If all this fails, I suspect it is an issue with a defective motherboard. In this case, contact ASUS tech support online for RMA instructions.

Hope this helps. :)

3. dandla

dandla Private E-2

Aloha gman863,
    Your last post was extremely helpful...thank you so much.
    I cleared the RTC/RAM, rebooted and the DVI graphics returned, then I got the latest ASUS BIOS and drivers loaded on a USB stick and did the EZFLASH update as you suggested. Now to load XP followed by Win7.
    Again many mahalos to you for your help...Konadon:)

4. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Thanks. I hope this solves the issue. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds