"Safe to Remove Hardware" problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jacklantern, Oct 30, 2011.

1. jacklantern

jacklantern Private E-2

Here's the problem.

"Safely Remove Hardware" does not show my USB device.

Every time I plug-in any USB device on my computer, the safely remove hardware icon does not appear and even when I try the "RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll" command to show the safely remove hardware window, no device is showing.

I tried reinstalling the device hardware and tried changing the policies on the USB drive. Nothing helped.

It wasn't like this the other day. My PC is clean with no viruses or malwares. The USBs work and can still copy and delete files properly. I just want to safely remove them again.

Anyone can help?

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

If you have Windows 7, right click the system tray and select Properties. Then click customize notification icons. Look for Windows Explorer. In grey small letters underneath it will say "Safely Remove Hardware". In the dropdown box select show icon and notifications. Then press OK.

In XP, right click the system area and select properties then customize. Then may sure Safely Remove Hardware is selected and set to always show. Press OK.

3. jacklantern

jacklantern Private E-2

Oh yeah, I'm on WinXP SP3 and yes, the icon is already set on "Always Show". I can already call the Safely Remove Hardware window but the problem is that no devices are listed there even when the device is actually working.

4. tgell

With the device plugged in, go to My Computer and right click on the drive. Then select Properties and click on the Policies tab. It is set for Optimize for Performance?

You may also have to clean out all of the USB storage drivers for your devices. See this post.

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic145884.html

5. jacklantern

jacklantern Private E-2

I fixed the problem. The reason why the window does not show any devices is that my Alcor MP disabled it.

Re-enabled it and fixed the problem. Disregard this thread I guess...

6. tgell

Nice work! Thanks for the feedback.

7. meda4

meda4 Private E-2

i am having the same issue after running the same program. how did you re-enable it? please post the steps.

thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds