Can't stop USB device

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dumb_Question, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Dumb_Question

Dumb_Question Sergeant Major

I'm not sure if this should be in 'networking'; feel free to move it to the appropriate sub-forum.

I have been trying to remove a Western Digital Hard Disk (4 virtual disks) from my PC, but when select the eject icon in the system tray (I think that's what it's called), and select this device it gives me the message
    "The device 'Generic volume' cannot be stopped right now. Try stoppng the device again later."
    I have tried several times over the last few times over the last days, and I always get this message for this device, even when I have no applications (as defined in the task manager) running, but, strangely the blue LED flashes a lot which I take to indicate some form of disk activity. Looking in the task manager, I see no obvious processes which be needing any virtual disk on this physical disk. The USB transfers data OK.
    On previous occasions when I have got this messages it was because I had a copy of explorer looking at one of the virtual disks on this physical disk, or else I waited a few minutes and tried again, and it told it was safe to remove the disk.

Can anybody tell me how to stop and eject this device ?

Dumb_Question
    25.July.2012

Compaq Presario S5160UK DT261A under XP/SP3
    Processor - Celeron 2.7 GHz
    Motherboard - MSI MS-6577 v2.1
    RAM - 1GB + 512MB (1GB +1GB max) DDR PC2700
    PSU - Octigen 300W model 10270PSOTG ('upgraded' from original Bestec 250W PSU [in 2011?])
    Nvidia GeForce 6200 graphics card in AGP slot.

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

I have moved your thread to the software forum to ensure more appropriate responses.

Are you using any defragmentation products such as IOBit SmartDefrag? These have a tendency to lock up devices

What version of windows are you running?

3. Dumb_Question

Thanks for moving my post to the correct forum

I have no defragmentation software other than that which was originally with the operating system (pre-installed), i.e., only the Windows XP defragmenter available in file manager (Windows Explorer). I haven't defragmented my hard disk in while. My (internal) disk is around 80% full (I haven't looked lately), I'm trying to delete some stuff, old pictures and so on, but I am aware that my internal disk does now probably need defragmenting: however, I do not see how would affect the external physical disk. I have never defragmented any of the virtual disks on the physical disk I am trying to stop and eject.

The version of Windows I am using is XP Home Edition with SP3. This has not changed for a long time now, aside from updates. Is this is not sufficiently detailed, could tell me how I can find out the required info please ?

Dumb_Question
    25.July.2012

PSU - Octigen 300W model 10270PSOTG ('upgraded' from original Bestec 250W PSU [in 2011?])

4. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

I have occasionally observed the same phenomenon; unable to disconnect external USB disks. I have never found what is "using" them.

The only way I found: shut down Windows, disconnect the device, restart Windows.

5. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

P.S. one possible cause: file indexing is 'on' on this device.

6. Dumb_Question

-> pwillener: Thank you for your comments.

In the past, as I have said, this was an occasional irritation that could overcome in one the ways I mentioned.

It seemed to to occasional (intermittent) and not too much of a problem, until last week, when I have been unable to eject my disk. I'd like to turn it off because I fear its getting hot. I use it at least every four days though, so I know it won't be unplugged for a great length of time. Could it be because of its temperature ?

Anyway, this issue has suddenly arisen without my changing anythinng including the file indexing which has always been 'on'.

Dumb_Question
    26.July.2012

Nvidia GeForce 6200 graphics card in AGP slot

7. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Thank you for providing this information.

The reason I asked about de-fragmentation is that some de-fragmentation products such as IOBit SmartDefrag lock devices even if they are not being de-fragmented. As you have not got any of these products installed this cannot be the case.

The reason I asked what version of Windows you were running was to ascertain if ReadyBoost was in use. This is a feature of Windows Vista so as you are running XP this again cannot be the case.

You mentioned that your thumb drive was getting hot. Is there an indicator light on the device, and if so, is it behaving as if the device is in constant use?

Also, in general terms, are there lots of files on the thumb drive and what type of files are they (again in general terms)?

8. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

You could try using either Process Monitor or Process Hacker to find whether any process has an open handle to the virtual disks.

Go to the 'Find handle or dll' menu item and enter one of the drive letters used on the USB drive e.g X: - then press Search/Find and you'll get a list of all open handles.

9. Dumb_Question

-> nullptr
    This sounds like a good suggestion, if I can install Process Monitor without rebooting or restarting my computer (yes, that is still an issue, but I have to power down next because of power interruption)

-> collinsl
    Thank you for being so patient with me.
    What's a thumb drive ? The drive in question is about 1" x 5" x 7", I think it's a Western Digital 'Elements', about 2-3 yers old (?). I have some Western Digital software that came with my WD Essentials Passport (another external drive, not connected), an iphone/blackberry sized device, which seems to tell the drive temperature but I can't start that (it's not very simple, I don't have the time or will to find out from WD at present). So I don't really KNOW what the temperature is, I FEAR it might be getting hot. There is an LED which shows some activity at some times but I wouldn't have said it was constantly blinking. It is constantly on for some of the time, blinking at other times (on indicates power)

Dumb_Question
    26.July.2012

10. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

yes, you can use ProcMon instantly after the installation; there is no need to reboot.

I suggest that you
    • download ProcMon and "install" it; actually you just unzip it into some folder
    • stop any running programs (the ProcMon log will still be very large)
    • run ProcMon
    • try disconnect your external HD
    • when you get the "unable" message, save the ProcMon log and stop ProcMon.
    You can now at leisure analyze your ProcMon log file. If you need help, zip it up and attach it to your next forum post.

11. Dumb_Question

Thanks for the advice about processmonitor, guys.
    I downloaded it, ran it, etc. immmediately (I was too keen to do everything pwillener said like stopping all other programs or try ejecting my HD (I had just tried ejecting immediately previously though)). and the list displayed was indeed very long !

I found a lot of processes with path K:\, J:\, L:\, M:\ (4 partitions of offending my external hard disk). I don't whether they are still active or not, I attach the filtered-by--path-name process list of the obviously relevant items (there may be other relevant ones, but they are not obvious to me - maybe I should have attached the complete file ? It was too big to fit into excel though, it wouldn't read all of into excel when I tried opening it). All bar one have the result SUCCESS, does this mean they have stopped ? The remaining has the result "RANGE NOT LOCKED". I do not know what these processes are doing, I have not in the last month (certainly even longer than that, even with a virus scan) even accessed partitions J: or K:. Another example, To take the 2nd process in the list, on L:\..., I haven't accessed Tex in a while either. These processes have no right to have been even invoked !!

What shall I do with all these processes ? Help !

Dumb_Question
    30.July.2012

12. Dumb_Question

Thanks for the advice about processmonitor, guys.
    I downloaded it, ran it, etc. immmediately (I was too keen to do everything pwillener said like stopping all other programs or try ejecting my HD (I had just tried ejecting immediately previously though)). and the list displayed was indeed very long !

I found a lot of processes with path K:\, J:\, L:\, M:\ (4 partitions of offending my external hard disk). I don't whether they are still active or not, I attach the filtered-by--path-name process list of the obviously relevant items (there may be other relevant ones, but they are not obvious to me - maybe I should have attached the complete file ? It was too big to fit into excel though, it wouldn't read all of into excel when I tried opening it). Well, I can't attach *,csv or *.xls files so the attachment is a slightly truncated pdf file of the printed excel spreadsheet). All bar one have the result SUCCESS, does this mean they have stopped ? The remaining has the result "RANGE NOT LOCKED". I do not know what these processes are doing, I have not in the last month (certainly even longer than that, even with a virus scan) even accessed partitions J: or K:. Another example, To take the 2nd process in the list, on L:\..., I haven't accessed Tex in a while either. These processes have no right to have been even invoked !!

What shall I do with all these processes ? Help !

Dumb_Question
    30.July.2012

Attached Files:

13. Norgates

Norgates Corporal

I've had trouble with a Western Digital external hard drive due to its security software. It was a different problem than the one you are having, but when I looked for "generic volume" in a search engine, it was often in asscoiation with a Western Digital drive.

There's a thread on this at BP, not sure if it might be yours. They offer one possibility of uninstalling the hard drive so that the drivers are forced to load the next time you plug it in. Here's that thread:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic460867.html

I also found a entry by Batman at ibanniebtechsupport:

The link for that entry is at: https://ibanniebtechsupport.wordpress.com/2011/11/30/windows-cant-stop-your-generic-volume-device/

14. Dumb_Question

My WD Essentials Passport I plugged in yesterday, and it ejected fine this morning; that i the disk with all the WD software. My WD Elements didn't come with any software as far I realise.

No, the thread you refer to isn't mine, but thanks for quoting Batman about logging off. I have to power down my PC on Wednesday anyway (power cut), so I'll be able to unplug it then !

Dumb_Question
    30.July.2012

15. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Hi & apologies for the delay,

A "thumb drive" in the context I was using is one of the small USB devices otherwise known as a flash drive, pen drive, memory stick etc. They typically store 1-8GB and are pocket sized for easy transportation.

In your case, you have made clear that your drive is a conventional external drive and I should have noticed. My apologies.

Do you know if you have write caching enabled on this disk? To check, right-click on the "My Computer" icon, choose "manage" and then go to "disk management". In there, find the physical volume with your four logical partitions ( J:\, K:\, L:\, M:\) on it, right click on it to the very left in the section with "basic" and/or "online" written in it, and choose "properties". Then go to the "policies" tab and your write caching options should be in there. Ensure that the "optimise for quick removal" radio button (circular check box) is checked and OK the window and close the computer management window.

Then try ejecting again.

16. Dumb_Question

-> collinsl
    Thank you again for your advice, especially for the detailed instructions, without them I wouldn't have had a clue.
    The disk is set up for 'Optimize for Quick Removal' which I guess means that write caching is not enabled.
    Under that option its says I can remove the disk without ejecting properly ('you can disconnect this device without using the safe removal icon'): does this mean I can pull the (USB) plug straight out anyway without ejecting and without damage to my data/disk ??
    Why am I bothering with being so careful ? (maybe it's just good policy, to develop good habits)

Dumb_Question
    31.July.2012

17. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Yes, it does mean that you can just pull the plug. However, if a program is attempting to use the drive then it may encounter errors.

In your case I would ensure that all programs, windows explorer windows, and anything else that you know about using the drive are exited, and just pull the plug. This normally will have no adverse effects as all the programs have been closed.

It is good practice to use the safe removal tool to ensure that nothing is using the drive, but in your case making sure that you have finished using the drive & closing all programs that use it should be enough.

18. Dumb_Question

I fear that I can't eject because (one or more unknown) program is using the disk !

Unfortunately I was unable to decipher the ProcMon log (I didn't know what half the things were, well not even half), so hopefully someone will look at that and advise shortly.

Dumb_Question
    31.July.2012

19. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

The JQS.exe is Java QuickStarter, a program designed to speed up the starting of any program requiring Java.

The explorer.exe is the windows taskbar/file browser service. It is an integral part of the operating system.

The AVGIDS processes are part of your AVG antivirus suite.

If these three are the only processes accessing your system then I would be led to believe that AVG may be conducting a scan of the external hard drive whilst it is idle.

In any case, none of these processes can damage data on the drive so it should be perfectly safe just to pull the plug.

20. Dumb_Question

Does the fact that almost all of these processes have 'SUCCESS' marked against them mean that they were running, but have now finished ?

I don't understand why I have any processes running on these drives especially J:\ and K:\, but as do not expect the explanation is simple, I won't ask for one and I will just accept the fact.

Thanks to everyone for their help and patience.

Now to face powering down later on today and testing out repairs and maintenance and hopefully restarting (very hopefully). You'd all better warch out for posts made from my other PC if I can get connected to the internet :-D

Dumb_Question
    31.July.2012

21. Dumb_Question

It has been suggested that the system is looking for a deleted or moved file that it can't find, and emptying the recycle bins (all that you can find) clears the problems. I have been ubable to establish whether this would have solved my particular problem, because my PC had to be turned off for other reasons.

Dumb_Question
    2.August.2012

07-31-12 11:13

22. Dumb_Question

I still had the problem with ejecting USB external disk. This is what I actually did to (temporarily at least) solve it.

Procmon - I couldn't get search to work, and filtering reduced the number items to look through from an impossible number to a very large number.

While searching the internet I came across this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555665 - 'Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device', which seemed to just what I needed. Looking at the Resolving section it gave a link to ProcessExplorer - which was broken (presumably outdated). I called MS support (live 'chat') [you may have to pay for this service if your issue is not easily resolved - I didn't have to] and ended up with this list of programs http://live.sysinternals.com/ from sysinternals (a wholy owned subsidiary of Microsoft which they take no responsibilty for)(it was also suggested that I do a 'clean boot' as described in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353). I found procexp.exe, the most likely looking candidate and downloaded it (it's just an executable: no installation needed). It looks very similar to procmon, and presumably ProcessExplorer, except instead of of clicking on the 'Tools' menu button you click on the 'Find' (pair of binoculars) button; then it's all as directed in kb555665 (except my external HD had 4 partitions so I had to repeat the procedure 4 times, once for each drive letter; and I discovered that once I got the lower screen 'on' [ie the first time I found the PID in the upper window, selected it, and pressed CTRL-H] clicking on each item found in the search box highlighted that process in the lower pane, making findig the relevant process very easy. Doing another seaerch [for processes relating to another virtual drive] found a list of processes but I didn't have to go through the CTRL-H routine again, just click on each item found in the search window]).

So I deleted everything found beginning with one of the drive letters, and that was enough to enable me to safely eject the 'Mass Storage Media' by using the button in the system tray.

Two items remain unanswered:

first, I did not delete any process (or event ?) found on the virtual disk search that did not start with that disk's letter (eg M:). (example of not deleted: NT AUTHORITY/SYSTEM 3E7 [or something like that] which was found quite a few times).

Second, have I found a true solution ? When I next plug in my disk, use it, and come to eject it will I have the same problem ? I don't really want to go through this every time I want to remove that particular HD. This is a relatively recent problem: there used to be no problem with ejecting this disk. (perhaps, though maybe not, it started when I bought my other WD HD which installed some software [not-so-smart SMARTWARE] ?? which auto-loads on boot)

Dumb_Question
    28.November.2012

23. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Open Task Manager and stop the Smart Ware in processes.

24. Dumb_Question

-> plodr (and anyone else who is reading)

Thank you for answering

I have tried stopping all Smartware processes (there are about 4 of them) more than once in the task manager (it cannot be stopped or Quit from the desktop, and once they've been stopped in TM there's no easy way to restart them) but that did not solve the problem (Device is in use and cannot be stopped now. Please try again later).

Now I have a new problem, my PC has become stuck "Preparing to Standby..." (the subject of new thread) despite the fact it was instructed NEVER to Standby or Hibernate. Procexp warned me that removing processes/events could cause system instability

Dumb_Question
    29.November.2012

25. Dumb_Question

SOLVED ! Re: Can't stop USB device

Dear All,

Thanks once again for your suggestions.

My USB devices (the HDDs I refeferred to) seem to able to be stopped and ejected in XP-approved manner by turning off my antivirus program (this only has to stopped for the time taken to stop and eject the HDD). My antivirus program is an old version of AVG (free edition) - AVG10 ? so it's quite easy to temporarily stop it (if you know how !!). It seems that my antivirus program continuously accesses or holds it open.

This worked 1/1 times so far.

The standby problem seems to have 'gone away'. I now beleive that I accidentally typed the key (or combinatin of keys) that told my PC to go to standby mode.

Dumb_Question
    11.March.2013
    As from:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  26. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Running an old, outdated version of an av program does two things: slows down the computer and offers no protection. Wipe it off!
    According to this: http://www.snapfiles.com/apphistory/avg_history.html
    v10 was last updated in Sept. 2010. Since they support the last two versions, I suspect that version 2012 and 2013 are supported.

Use this to clean off the old http://www.majorgeeks.com/AppRemover_d6090.html
    This shows it will remove v 10 on XP
    http://www.appremover.com/supported-applications#xp

Grab a new av from this list (item #2):
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44525

I suggest you download the new av program before you clean the old one off so that once you reboot, you are ready to install a new av that will offer you protection.

27. Dumb_Question

On the last two occasions (the most recent being yesterday, when I tried several times) I went through this procedure (suspending AVG from Tools>Advanced menu) and ejecting my WD HDD from my PC it failed to stop, still giving me the same message 'Generic Volume ...cannot be stopped...now...try again later", so I guess AVG was not creating the problem, and this thread is ongoing...my HD is STILL powered up connected to my PC

WD have suggested updating their SMARTware as a solution, but I have stopped those processes from the task manager (which didn't solve the problem either AND they were using a few % of my CPU)

-> plodr
    Thank you for your comments and advice. I will change my protection software.

28. Dumb_Question

The problem remains unsolved. This morning when I tried ejecting the disk it gave the "Generic volume ...blah blah" message.

I have turned off WD software load at start-up using MSCONFIG but a couple of WD items still showed up in TaskManager, so I ended those processes. I also temporarily stopped AVG. Generic Device was still busy. Next I removed everything unnecessary from the system tray, such as Paltalk, Logitech Profiler (for setting up joysticks), Voipbuster, etc. The device still would not eject (Generic volume still busy).

It seems then it's not the WD software that's causing this problem, as I suspected, nor AVG (though there are still avg-looking processes running shown in task manager).

Now I invoke procexp.exe (Process Explorer), and I find a process M:\ which is a File type process. One of the offending virtual disks on the hard disk that will not eject is M:. When I look in the Disk Management control/tool on XP, it tells me C: is active, and, to my surprise M: is active also. I don't know what it's doing. Procexp tells me it's in the sole explorer.exe that is running. I know if I end this process it's bad news (I did it once by mistake: it seems it controls the taskbar and system tray). So, I end the specific process M:\ in procexp by selecting it and pressing the delete button (without deleting the explorer process). This has yet to fail me in the ability to eject the USB disk when, after that, I try it.

However, my problem is not solved. Why is this process running ? I'm seemingly not doing anything on the USB disk, including M:\. I don't know what other consequences of deleting the M:\ process might be, but it warns me of system instabilities and crashes. It is a bit of extra work to eject a disk that should eject through the control in the system tray anyway.

Has anyone a solution or can anyone offer an explanation ?

Dumb_Question
    7.June.2013

29. Dumb_Question

SOLVED !

Apparently,

an update to AVG the malware protection program (if I might call it that) has been causing this.

An AVG process AVGWD.EXE holds onto the disk. This process cannot be stopped/ended.

The solution is to install AVG2014 v.4204 (or, presumably later versions also).

see
    http://forums.avg.com/gb-en/avg-forums?sec=thread&act=show&id=233830 (end of) for more details
    and
    http://forums.avg.com/gb-en/avg-forums?sec=thread&act=show&id=237086#post_237086

(search the AVG forum for "avgwd eject" to find these threads, three are found in total)

(I haven't tested it thoroughly personally)

Dumb_Question
    20.December.2013

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds