XP will not search within "msg" email files saved in folders

Discussion in 'Software' started by WindowsUser54, Mar 8, 2006.

1. WindowsUser54

WindowsUser54 Private E-2

During the course of business-related work using my computer, I save Outlook email messages (in msg format), along with other types of text files, within various file folders for later reference. (Please understand that these are "regular" file folders under C:\MyFiles; I'm not talking about folders within Outlook.)

In Windows 2000 Professional, it was possible to use the "Ctrl+F" Windows search function to search for words within the files saved in a file folder. The search words could be either in the file names or within the files. Windows would search the email messages just like any other text files saved in a given file folder.

However, in Windows XP, the Windows search function apparently no longer searches the text within msg files! Oh, it can still find words in the file names of msg files, but the text inside those msg files might as well be missing. Windows XP search just cannot see inside them.

Does anybody know of a fix for this? is this just another useful functionality which Microsoft inexplicably removed (I can name several) when they went from 2000 to XP? I would really appreciate any help, since the ability to do these searches is something I need to do for my business on a regular basis. I'm trying to use "Google Desktop" as a workaround, but it's a terrible substitute when compared to the ease of usage of the original "Ctrl+F" Windows search function.

Thanks so much,

WindowsUser54.

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Sure you didn't have a third party application?

I've never been able to get Windows XP to work properly in that respect. I've never known Windows 2000 to be able to, either. I just tried it in XP, it did not work. I know Vista is supposed to have resolved this issue, with search that acts like OS X spotlight.

What other things have you found removed from 2000 to XP?

3. WindowsUser54

Thanks for the reply, Adrynalyne, but yes I'm sure that Windows 2000 worked just fine in this respect.

Not sure about Win 98 or Win 98SE, since it's been awhile since I've used these platforms for work purposes.

With regard to your question, "What other things have you found removed from 2000 to XP?" I think that the most irritating of these is that in Win 2000 and below, when you opened a file folder window, at the bottom of it was a bar that told you how many files were in it, what the total file size was, and some other stuff. That went away with Win XP.

My question is, "Why!!!" That was handy, it was useful, it certainly didn't use much processor time, space or memory, so why in the h**l did Microsoft decide to take that away? And to replace it with little animated paper-clips and other nonsense?

I guess it's just a gripe. But a valid gripe, I believe.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Well, maybe instead I can offer you some assistance with the "missing" status feature.

If you go to view drop down menu of a folder, you can choose status bar. By default, it is off.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2006
  5. theefool

theefool Geekified

Though, I believe within outlook, there is an advanced find. That will search within emails or files for particular phrases. Though, this is from my old NT4 (exchange 5.5) days....

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

Ok, I think....I found the tool for you. Located within c:\program files\microsoft Office\office 11, is a program called finder.exe.

This tool allows you to find particular words within other emails files, perhaps even within files.

Change the "Look For" option for "Outlook/exchange"

From here, it should be quite self explanatory.

Quick note: # 101: I have MSO 2003.....

7. WindowsUser54

theefool,

Thanks so much for the tip! I'll see how it works and get back to you.

Thanks again,

WindowsUser54

8. WindowsUser54

Hello theefool,

Well, I tried your advice (using finder.exe), but unfortunately executing finder.exe invokes the "Advanced Search" function which you use to search for keywords within email messages that are located in Outlook folders.

My problem is that I need to be able to search for keywords within email messages that I've saved to other locations on my C drive (you know, like subfolders under My Documents, for example), not within Outlook folders.

Any other suggestions? Thanks!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds