safety tips!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dyamond, Jul 10, 2007.

1. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

I got this email from my sister and i thought it would something to share..

I dont know how much i agree with the stairs one... I hate elevators and you have more of a chance to get away if on the stairs. But still, Its always better to be safe instead of sorry :)

Everyone should take 5 minutes to read this. It may save your life or love one's life.
    >
    > Crucial Because of recent abductions in daylight hours,refresh yourself of these things to do in an emergency situation... This is for you, and for you to share with your wife, your children, everyone you know.
    >
    > After reading these 9 crucial tips , forward them to someone you care about. It never hurts to be careful in this crazy world we live in.
    >
    > 1 Tip from Tae Kwon Do :
    >
    > The elbow is the strongest point on your body. If you are close enough to use it, do!
    >
    > 2. Learned this from a tourist guide in New Orleans If a robber asks for your wallet and/or purse, DO NOT HAND IT TO HIM Toss it away from you.... chances are that he is more interested in your wallet and/or purse than you, and he will go for the wallet/purse. RUN LIKE MAD IN THE OTHER DIRECTION!
    >
    > 3. If you are ever thrown into the trunk of a car, kick out the back tail lights and stick your arm out the hole and start waving like crazy. The driver won't see you, but everybody else will. This has saved lives.
    >
    >
    > 4. Women have a tendency to get into their cars after shopping, eating, working, etc., and just sit (doing their checkbook, or making a list, etc. DON'T DO THIS!) The predator will be watching you, and this is the perfect opportunity
    for him to get in on the passenger side, put a gun to your head, and tell you where to go. AS SOON AS YOU GET INTO YOUR CAR, LOCK THE DOORS AND LEAVE. a. If someone is in the car with a gun to your head DO NOT DRIVE OFF repeat: DO NOT DRIVE OFF! Instead gun the engine and speed into anything, wrecking the car. Your Air Bag will save you. If the person is in the back seat they will get the worst of it . As soon as the car crashes bail out and run.
    It is better than having them find your body in a remote location.
    >
    > 5 A few notes about getting into your car in a parking lot,
    > or parking garage: A.) Be aware: look around you, look into your car, at the passenger side floor , and in the back seat
    >
    > B..) If you are parked next to a big van, enter your car from the passenger door . Most serial killers attack their victims
    by pulling them into their vans while the women are attempting to get into their cars.
    >
    > C..) Look at the car parked on the driver's side of your vehicle, and the passenger side. If a male is sitting alone in the seat nearest your car, you may want to walk back into the mall, or work, and get a guard/policeman to walk you back out. IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY. (And better paranoid than dead.)
    >
    > 6. ALWAYS take the elevator instead of the stairs. (Stairwells are horrible places to be alone and the perfect crime spot. This is especially true at NIGHT!)
    >
    > 7. If the predator has a gun and you are not under his control, ALWAYS RUN! The predator will only hit you (a running target) 4 in 100 times; And even then, it most likely WILL NOT be a vital organ. RUN, Preferably ! in a zig -zag pattern!
    >
    > 8. As women, we are always trying to be sympathetic: STOP ! It may get you raped, or killed. Ted Bundy, the serial killer, was a good-looking, well educated man, who ALWAYS played on the sympathies of unsuspecting women. He walked with a cane, or a limp, and often asked "for help" into his vehicle or with his vehicle,which is when he abducted
    > his next victim.
    >
    > ************* Here it is *******
    >
    > 9. Another Safety Point:
    >
    > Someone just told me that her friend heard a crying baby on her porch the night before last, and she called the police because it was late and she thought it was weird. The police told her "Whatever you do, DO NOT open the door." The lady then said that it sounded like the baby had crawled near a window, and she was worried that it would crawl to the street and get run over. The policeman said, "We already have a unit on the way, whatever you do, DO NOT open the door." He told her that they think a serial killer has a baby's cry recorded and uses it to coax women out of their homes thinking that someone dropped off a baby. He said they have not verified it, but have had several calls by women saying that they hear baby's cries outside their doors when they're home alone at night. Please pass this on and DO NOT open the door for a crying baby ---- This e-mail should probably be taken seriously because the Crying Baby theory was mentioned on America 's Most Wanted this past Saturday when they profiled the serial killer in Louisiana
    >
    >
    > I'd like you
    >
    > to forward this
    >
    > to all the women you know.
    >
    > It may save a life.
    >
    > A candle is not dimmed
    >
    > by lighting another candle.
    >
    > I was going to send this to the ladies only,
    >
    >
    > but guys,
    >
    > if you love your mothers,
    >
    > wives,
    >
    > sisters,
    >
    > daughters, etc.,
    >
    > you may want to
    >
    > pass it onto them, as well.
    >
    > Send this
    >
    > to any woman you know
    >
    > that may need
    >
    > to be reminded
    >
    > that the world we live in
    >
    > has a lot of crazies in it
    >
    > and it's better to be safe
    >
    > than sorry.
    >
    > Everyone should take 5 minutes to read this.
    > It may
    > save your life or a loved one's life.
    >

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  2. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

i seem to remember i rented a car at Miami Airport and it a long list of does and don’t's that were similar to that, it also automatically locked the doors when the key was in the ignition,it surprised me because i have had cars from other states without the warnings.
    [​IMG]

I found this for you DYAMOND

[​IMG]

3. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

A lot of great things in that list. I always wonder how easy it is to actually think in those situations. I hope to never find out.

4. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

This is good...but you might want to check out the Snopes analysis of the whole thing before committing it all to memory.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/prevent/ninetips.asp

5. dyamond

I don't see the point of re-butting something that could be potentially useful, who know if this could actually help someone.

Thanks for the article, althought the suggestions listed above by no means are a fail-safe protect all and certainly not suggesting anyone act like "superman" :)

6. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

The reason I did is because all of the suggestions given are NOT actually helpful. Some of them could actually put you in more danger.

It's a habit of mine when I see something that circulates through email, to check its veracity. I'm sorry that bothers you.

7. dyamond

ok, can you cut the attitude? I wasnt being a jerk to you. I dont see how,especially the ones about the cars, could do you harm. No, no i take it back your right dont have anyone walk you to your car if its dark! rolleyes

whatever, If its so bad would someone please close this thread? Im done.

8. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

I didn't say every single thing on the list was bad. Just that people should not assume every single thing on the list is good.

Again, I'm sorry. Trust me, that was not attitude. You'll know when it's attitude, as several people here can tell you. As several people here can also tell you, just about every time an email rumour is posted online, at least one person takes the time to go to Snopes to check it out. That's because all of us have been online long enough to have seen most of them 147 times, and we know that they're not real. I do the same thing when my mother sends them to me in my email...she hasn't been around long enough to be able to tell the difference between an urban legend and something someone might actually need to know. The surest clue whether or not something is legitimate is if it ends asking you to forward it to everyone you know. Usually, that means it's not worth the time.

You're the one with the attitude, near as I can tell. Have a nice day!

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

10. Shoot to kill.

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Both of you play nice, or I will sit you in corners and make you wear dunce hats.

There is nothing in that list that could put you in more danger than you are already in, by the way.

11. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

well that is the biggest problem. when they talk of the 'flight or flight' response, they miss out one crucial piece of information....that there is a third, equally deployed response....freeze!!! in the animal kingdom this often has the effect of making one invisible (to animals that are attracted to movement or sound), or no longer a threat, or no longer sport, or something. the rabbit caught in headlights syndrome doesn't fair so well in modern society, but it is still an autonomic response.

the way of overcoming this, is the same way one overcomes all psycho/physical responses, to retrain the mental/nervous system reaction by repeated 'pretend' exposure. in other words you need to train yourself. even attending self defense classes of some sort does not necessarily overcome this freeze response, although the good ones address this issue.

the one thing this type of mass email does do though is bring awareness to some of the more dithery practices of some of us females. WITHOUT LIVING IN FEAR it is a good idea to think in advance about where we are going to be that day, and the risks thereof. 'am i going to be coming back to this car in the dark?' is the kind of questions we should be analyzing on a daily basis. if one makes a habit for example of carrying ones keys in your hand in order to be ready to enter your car, than you will lose that sense of awareness of your immediate surroundings. so instead of making habits it is often better to plan according to need. that way you remain in the 'here and now'. i have never been attacked. i attribute this to a number of things. firstly, i do not have a victim attitude. i am not nervous, or meek. mostly the reason i am not nervous is because i simply don't recognize the danger i am in, but hey, whatever works :). secondly, once faced with a difficult situation, i am VERY good at talking my way out of trouble. i am so inoffensive, non threatening, open, empathetic, and so utterly defenseless that (so far) the 'bad' people have simply changed their minds. i do however take certain precautions. i try not to put myself in situations, then i dont have to worry about how to get out of them.

anyway thank you dyamond for the thought provoking list, and the compassion and concern you showed by posting it.

thank you also sgt tibbs for pointing out the flaws that exist in these types of lists, thereby making it even more effective.

so stay safe girls. and remember 'be aware' IN ADVANCE.

much aloha.

12. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Thanks Dyamond for posting these tips;

Luckily we do not have the same amount of gun crime here, but
    there are still 'nutters' around.
    I always remind my wife and mother about locking their doors and checking
    the seats before getting into the car.

Complacency can have devastating effects :(

13. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Unless, of course, someone really was only intending on taking your purse, but since you decided to attack them by elbowing them in the stomach they instead decide to kill you. Just a thought. ;)

14. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Perhaps. Although there are more dead people out there who cooperated than those who didn't. You can never assume what is going through their mind, but one thing is for sure--if they have it in them to kill you...will you cooperate and let them kill you, or do what you can to stay alive? I very much doubt an 'elbow' will make a difference on their decision to kill you. Its much more likely the thought as to whether you can ID them that determines if they are going to kill you.

If you elbow someone hard enough in the solar plexus, or floating rib...I guarantee you, it will be effective, ask anyone trained in hand to hand combat.

15. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

This coming from someone who knew people who cooperated in a restaurant robbery, then were all murdered execution style because the robbers did not want to be identified. Had they fought back---there were more of them than the robbers who killed them.

Its sad, but you can never really know what is going to happen. I for one know I will fight for my life, and give it--if it saves the ones I love. Cooperation is not something I will do.

16. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

One of the luxuries of living in England people very rarley get killed in robberies the choice is simple here just let them be on thier way as fast as possible,not sure if I could especially if I'd just drawn some money to buy something in town

True story:walking to the video store one night a guy was standing outside staring me down as I were walking towards him strange experience probably on drugs,anyway I walked past and nothing came of it and rented a DVD,5mins after leaving the shop the guy robbed the video store clerk at knifepoint who was a young lone girl,she offered no resistance just handed over the takings and he fled

I think if I'd have stared at him a little longer he'd have stabbed me and I might not be here and I also think if she'd of resisted he would have stabbed her,in the end all that was lost was a few quid

I agree you never know whats gonna happen

17. laurieB

laurieB MajorGeek

as far as things like that go, i dont think there is any preparation, or plan of action, or best case senario. you are simply at the mercy of your circumstances.

i am sure that there are examples of robbery, where co-operation has had the desired result and, as i mentioned, the very assumption that you would be able to think clearly enough to consciously make decisions is suspect.

in addition, people in a group behave very differently then they do as individuals. so you have all those responses added to the mix.

generally, it is not possible to predict what we are going to do in any given situation unless we have already experienced it or have some other bases for the assumption.

personal safety requires the same input that the safety of ones child does.

firstly that each individual situation is assessed separately in order not to instill fear and to encourage exploration.
    secondly that there are some definite 'no-nos'. things that require repeated reminders designed to instill the instinct for danger. you teach your kids how to avoid those dangers.
    thirdly that you instill respect for the unpredictability of life. whether you are talking about surfing the sea, or the net, it is important to acknowledge that one cannot always be in control. a back up plan is a very useful thing!

theres more, but you get the drift. the important thing i think its to value your own safety. that seems obvious, but most instances of accident or injury are due to practices you would never let your children do.

however, the one thing i do find worry some about these advise e-mails is that it is a bit like telling our children not to speak to strangers. i think that it is this false sense of complacency that tibbs is worried about.

18. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Pretty much exactly. I hate to see someone get hurt or killed because they did what was written in a chain email. Especially when it's so very easy to check these things out through other sources online (Snopes is just easiest, there are others) to make sure they're accurate.

I wasn't attacking anyone personally, I wasn't trying to create a scene...I'm just saying it's not good to blindly trust everything you read online (or in your email). I'd have thought a website full of geeks would've gotten that. After all, it's not like this is the first time, nor am I the first person, to ever have posted a Snopes link when someone posts something they received in an email.

19. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Agreed, as long as we all understand that it includes your (speaking in general to everyone) own advice as well.

20. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Definitely! I'm simply providing another side. There was no reason for anyone to get bent out of shape about it.

21. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

I've taken martial arts for around 15 years, most folks don't have the instincts to fight well unless they have practiced one way or another. The elbow is indeed a devistating weapon, but only if you know how to use it.

Another thing, size matters. A 120 pound woman is at a severe disadvantage against a 200+ pound man, one that is going to be hard to overcome. I am a big man, my instructors use me as an exampe against newer folks half my weight. They throw a devistating kick, only to be the ones who bounce. Inertia rules.

If you have to fight, fight hard and dirty, leave teeth and fingernails in your opponent, and RUN as soon as you can. A man who has been kneed in the groin has about 2 seconds before he is disabled, so don't stop just because you have a good shot in.

My $0.02.

22. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

OK BILLM i'm with you all the way i served many years in the MARINES and know how to fight dirty(although it's a bit difficult in this chair)

the martial arts instructor for us always said it don't matter how good you are you can't stop a 45 a train or someone who is better than you, so always try diplomacy and if that fails run it's better than dead.[​IMG]

23. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Pretty much on the money, Bill, i.m.o.

I have never been attacked, or attempted to be, for a reason. I am 200+ pounds, and whereas, not as young or fit as I used to be, am still in reasonably decent shape. Two active T.O.D.'s (tours of duty), taught me a few things. Meaning, that I would not readily be considered an easy target. That said, an ounce of prevention goes a long way. I am always very cagey if I have to take large amounts of cash out of automatic teller machines and there's people around - especially if they look a bit 'rough'. I suppose guns tend to be an ‘equalizer’, but fortunately, they are not very easy to come by over here.

Maybe I would win a struggle with a mugger, maybe I wouldn't - but way better to be mindful of potential danger, as no one really 'wins' a fight. Now, if my wife or kids were using the A.T.M. by themselves, then the danger factor would greatly increase, as most crims go for a 'soft' target before considering a much harder one.

So a lot of it depends on who you are, how vulnerable you appear, and of course avoiding any high risk situation if you can. May sound a bit pedantic, but true.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds