A problem I have been trying to solve for 3 months - Vista 'Unidentified Network'

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Phalanx114, May 24, 2008.

1. Phalanx114

Phalanx114 Private E-2

Hi all - I have exhausted my internet search for this solution, so I came here - to the experts. :)

A few months ago, I was sharing a network between two computers using a router, which was causing us no problems whatsoever.

However, I recently moved into a new place, and as I have tried to connect both computers through the router, only one of them connects, and the other (mine :() gets an "unidentified network" problem.

I have tried every single solution I could find, and nothing works. Both computers are using Vista, I've tried reseting the modem and the router many times, I've modified my registry as it says to do on Microsoft's website, I've updated all of my drivers, I've cycled my Ip connection using ipconfig, I've used Microsoft's diagnostic (to no avail), I've downloaded networking tools (using the other computer of course) that cannot find a problem, I've checked the cables on both sides, I've set my network to "private", turned Network Discovery On... - everything.

Oh, and on a related note, my network keeps reseting to "public" every time I reset my modem, router, computer, etc.

It may be related to my problem - though I'm not sure.

Nothing seems to work.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm tearing my hair out over this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

-Phalanx114

2. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

Were you using Vista before the move? What software did you install after the move? Could be Vista update refreshing some settings. Or firewall blocking some incoming connections. If you use backup, roll back to the date before the move. Back up your files in advance. i.e. bookmarks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds