Vista: To solve this once and for all... explorer.exe x2

Discussion in 'Software' started by Searinox, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Searinox

Searinox Private First Class

Windows Vista 32bit.

I have one instance of explorer.exe running. I have noticed that some programs will open a 2nd explorer.exe for folder browsing. One such example is Firefox. In the download window(ctrl+j) under "all files downloaded to: [folder]" if you click the folder name it opens up in a 2nd instance of explorer, despite having folder options set to allow only 1 instance. Because they open up as a second app it takes a lot longer for them to load. And once you close them the 2nd explored dies. HOWEVER, sometimes it DOESN'T. It just stays there running in the background even though you've closed the window. This only happens on Vista. Either I will make ALL windows open up in one explorer.exe or I will have the 2nd permanently running in the background. One out of two. If I set windows to open all windows in a separate process it will STILL be closing the 2nd explorer when I close them. I want to make this permanent. Either they both run all the time or only 1 runs at a time ever. Opening and closing explorer.exes take time and it's annoying.

1. How can I set a second explorer to run at startup in the background? I've tried several parameters including /separate but as they run explorer I just can't stop it from also opening My Documents. And when the window is closed the explorer.exe closes anyway...

2. The 2nd option would be to only ever have one explorer running. How do I stop apps such as Firefox's "all files downloaded to" and uTorrent's "open containing folder" from opening their windows in a 2nd explorer instance even though I have folder options set to only allow one to run? It's not supposed to be doing that!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds