How to control shares over a network (which network users can access what)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tomas_andrews99, Jul 26, 2005.

1. tomas_andrews99

tomas_andrews99 Private E-2

i have got a wireless network set up, i want to share files to all of the computers but one. but i want to be able to access the shares on that pc.
    i have read on the net that i can either set the policies or change the security settings. but i cant seem to sus it out. i am running windows xp pro on all machines.

i can only change settings that are local to the machine, i want to be able to tell my pc who can access the shared folders who are connected to the network, not users on my pc

any help would be much appreciated.

thanks

:eek:

2. catbro6166

catbro6166 Corporal

Are you on a workgroup or domain and whats the os

3. tomas_andrews99

i am running Windows XP Pro on all machines, they are sharing resources via a workgroup, not a domain.
    i have tried to configure the user rights assignment in the local security settings so that only certain users from the work group can access the computer, but i get an error message saying "failed to save local policy database".
    i have also tried to modify shares using the computer management>shared folders. but i can only modify settings that affect the users on the computer and not over the network.
    i have read on the internet that i can achieve network access control by configuring the secuirty settings of a share, rather than chaning the actuall share settings, but again, i have found this only accepts configurations that effect the local PC and not the network.

if you have got any help whatso ever i would appreciate it very much.

thanks again

4. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

5. tomas_andrews99

this doesnt really help, i dont see any of those as an option, surely there is an easier way to configure my shared folders using the NTSF security parameters, or just another way.

thanks for the post, i appreciate your reply but i was looking for a more cost effective way other than buying a new expensive switch or server o/s. :) :rolleyes: :cool: :p ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds