NOOOOOO banner ads :(

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by splitt3r, Feb 28, 2006.

1. splitt3r

splitt3r You are now the victim of a drive by title change

Did I just notice this or are the banner at the end of topics a new thing? seems liek it always was just links:confused:

2. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

They've been here a few days.

Since ads are all that pays the freight to keep this place here for us to enjoy, I don't begrudge them. Click a few and help keep this place alive. Compared to most sites, MG is pretty "ad lite".

3. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

I like them better at the end then after the first post...just my 2 cents..

Attached Files:

4. splitt3r

splitt3r You are now the victim of a drive by title change

yeah, it's just taht some of them are colorful banner ads, i do prefer them at the bottom though.

5. theefool

theefool Geekified

Now, if there was a premium MG account you can have with no banner ads. That would be nice.

I'd go for it.

Yes, yes, there is adblock with ff.....

6. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

I really don't see the big deal. They are very unobtrusive, regardless of where they are.

I've seen a LOT worse if you guys think this is annoying.

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

Well. I've also seen a lot worse.

But, I also love to support no banner ads by paying for ad-less sites. Just my own thought.

Which on a side note: #99, I'll be buying a few short sleeve shirts and that MG hat this summer. :)

8. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

paying to help people that really is warped :)

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Helping people isn't what generates revenue for this site. Its a lot like tech support IRL. It costs a company to provide it. Profit isn't generated in most cases due to overhead.

So...in that respect, it wouldn't be different than a lot of sites out there. I can't remember the URL, but sometimes when I google, I find the answer "appears" to be on a site I have to be a member of, and that site happens to require payment to even view posts.

Now THATs messed up.

10. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Experts Exchange could be the one your thinking of Adryn?

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Thats the one.

:)

12. star17

star17 MajorGeek

...you pay then you find out 95% of the people answering browser-related questions just say "install Firefox". :rolleyes:

13. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

That from experience?

;)

Not meant as a potshot, just don't know of another way to check ;)

14. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Whenever I do a google search I always end up with a least one MG thread,even if people dont click the link its a form of advertising,seeing MG threads pop up in google searches countless times gave me some assurance the downloads were safe as its a well known site,people could openly discuss what the downloads contain :)

15. star17

star17 MajorGeek

Nope...but you don't necessarily have to pay to see their answers; they just like to make you think you have to.

16. DavidGP

I tend to be able to view the first link I may have searched on in full their, then after that the cookie no doubt blocks you, until you........ ;)

have to say alot of the links to downloading security apps like HJT, Unlocker are all MG links ;)

While their are a few MVPs that post their, its still not a good gauge of accuracy or actually getting right answer even if you have paid or the member whos helping has a high "Expert" ranking.

17. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Guy's. You don't have to be a member to view the posts/answers on Experts Exchange. You just have to scroll down the page a little to see the posts, there way down the bottom. :)

Steve

18. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

19. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Hmmm, I've had mixed results. Maybe something changed?

20. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

21. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Yeah, EE has always been like that. You need to sign up to ask questions, but not to view others answers.

22. DavidGP

Dunno wether its me but, their was a time when you could search multiple topics for answers but now after your first visit or seach I cannot read another list of answers until I've cleared the cookie from EE, then I can go back and view a different one.. not that I actually use them alot as some threads go on a bit and dont really resolve a issue as quick as we could do here.

I only noticed this change in policy in the last few months.

23. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Yeah, I never noticed or had a problem until we started checking today. If you click off a link on the google page it shows ok. But, if you keep going to it sometimes it will not show. I guess I have always just gone to the page once and never tried it again.

Steve

24. Insomniac

It used to ask me to sign up to view the posts also.

Usually refreshing the page several times did it, although I haven't had to do that lately.

25. star17

star17 MajorGeek

Doesn't show up that way on mine, unless they are using white text on a white background. ;)

The few times I felt compelled to, I just googled a cached page; in many instances, it defeated their "sign-up" deal.

26. Insomniac

Most of the time it's not worth the effort anyway.

It's not like they have a great clear up rate.

I've seen mostly crappy answers, like on a lot of forums.

27. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

The ads don't bother me. In fact, I let my adblocker see them here for obvious reasons. Someone has to pay the freight for a great site.:confused:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds