Help adding new printer to windows ME

Discussion in 'Software' started by PaulaHarp, Dec 2, 2007.

1. PaulaHarp

PaulaHarp Private E-2

Help! I have Windows ME and we purchased a new printer the day after
    Thanksgiving as old one died. I bought the Lexmark x3430. Book with it said would work with windows 98 or me. Apparently that changed and it now
    doesnt! Something about it will only work with Windows 2000 or up now because of some microsoft rule changes :confused(this is from customer support)
    that it will work if I can find a driver; they cant tell me what???? driver because they have since deleted all from their system. Driver in the box won't download because I'm using Windows ME. Can anyone help? Besides
    take printer back and no longer have one or update my Windows (which I would if I had the money) not an option til at least Feb when I plan to update
    to new computer which will have windows xp or vista I hope.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Paula and welcome to the forum

I know daft question to ask but I'm going to anyway as I cannot find any reference to the x3440 printer on Lexmarks site, is that the correct version code?

As for drivers and Lexmark blaming Microsoft well thats not correct as while new OSes change its still the hardware company in Lexmark being the ones to develope a driver for specific Windows versions and not Microsoft, sadly many Hardware makers with their new hardware will only write and develope drivers for last couple of OS's.

3. PaulaHarp

PaulaHarp Private E-2

Sorry it is Lexmark x3430.
    All in one printer, scanner, and copier.
    Thanks

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds