Is it time for me to get a new television?

Discussion in 'Software' started by mjnc, Feb 8, 2011.

1. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Just wondering if it's time to replace my 10 year old television.

A few months ago I noticed that sometimes the color has a slight red tint.
    The picture has become increasingly blurred and particularly text such as in
    the program guide which is almost unreadable.
    More recently, when the set is first turned on, the picture blinks On and Off for about two minutes before it stabilizes.
    Now it occasionally blinks On and Off at random times. :eek :(

I don't know if this is a sign of something that can be repaired at reasonable cost,
    or if it's simply an indication that it's on the way out.

I've already done research on new LCD sets.

Can someone tell me what these symptoms indicate?

Hope this doesn't sound like a dumb question. :-o

Thanks. :wave

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What make and model is your 10yr old TV? and is it an LCD? (only asking the latter question as the sentences are mixed a little)

If its a CRT then likely the Tube or the Main board is going and TBH I would be investing in a LCD/LED TV now as it may cost a bit to repair that old TV and if it is repaired it may not last a long time,

For LCD/LED Tvs look for a good refresh rate 100hz+ and as you haev internet look at some of the TVs that come with internet compatibility and networking, I have an interent TV and can stream off some internet catchup channels like BBC iPlayer (UK Only) and I can hook it up to WiFi or LAN and stream off my desktop, films and music.

3. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Hi David.

Thanks for the reply.

The TV is a Sony 20 inch flat CRT KV-20FS12.

I've looked at a lot of reviews and checked out the offerings at several local stores.
    I'd like an LED/LCD @ 120Hz but the 120's are all 1080p which are more expensive than the 60Hz models.
    From what I've seen, the decent 32 inch 1080p with 120Hz scan rate, with or without LED backlighting start at about $450 or more.
    Also, I have to look at the available connectors so I can use my DVD and VCR, neither of which have HDMI.

After looking at specs and reviews, I think I've decided on an LG 32 inch model.

LG 32LD350 @ TelevisionInfo.com

LG 32LD350 @ ConsumerSearch

Best Buy has one of their Insignia house brand 32 inch which is 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, but I haven't read anything about it.

I'm still looking. :cool
    Thanks for your comments! :)

4. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Ya, TV blinking on and off is the yoke's insulation breaking down and you will eventually see the BSOD(Blue Smoke of Death) and extremely irritating if even a bit of it is inhaled. I'd get an LCD like Halo mentioned post haste!

Jeez man, already looking at 32 inchers eh? I do like LG stuff as I currently have had my 19" for 4 years and am now looking at a 24". A 32" would be the same size as my TV, I don't think I could handle that.:eek

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  5. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Hi Augiedoggie.

Thanks for the info.!!!

I didn't realize the thing was gonna burn up on me. :eek

My monitor is a Samsung 940Be 19 inch which is a 5:4 ratio and I think that's big enough for me.
    I recently installed an ASUS Nvidia 8400GS card to replace the onboard graphics and it's doing pretty well.
    After connecting with a DVI cable and fiddling with the monitor's Sharpness, Brightness and Contrast settings, the text is a bit sharper.

Man, I'm sure glad you told me about the yoke insulation.
    I sure don't want a fire in here. rolleyes :eek
    And sure as h*ll don't want noxious smoke in here either!!!

I'm gonna order that LG TV today - NOW!
    It'll take about a week to get here, but I'll save about 30 bucks by ordering it online instead of buying in the store (Walmart).

I really hate having to spend another $360+.
    I'll have to get some sort of stand for it also.

Oh well, that's how it goes, I guess.

Thanks.
    See Ya. :wave

BTW, Nedlamar mentioned that you had recommended Speccy for getting accurate Temp readings.
    I checked the BIOS again and found that Speccy was very close.

The temp on that passively cooled graphics card Dropped at least 10C after I removed the back plate on the adjacent expansion slot.

6. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

No, it's not a fire that will catch on your drapes for example, it'll get hot enough to burn more varnish quickly and then blows an internal fuse. That's what happened to my CRT when I took it apart. Don't do this at home please as there still may be some components that are holding a high voltage. ;)

You're graphics card probably cooled because you had too much positive pressure build up in your case and therefore not enough air flow, opening that slot was genius!:major

7. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Yes, yes indeed. There are capacitors that can hold high voltage for an exended time, even when the monitor is off and unplugged. More modern CRTs are equipped with a "bleeder" circuit that is supposed to discharge any stored voltage after a few minutes, but these can fail. Also the anode connector on the bulb of the tube carries the stored high voltage.

Good advice for any situation - don't muck around inside any electronic device if you don't know what you are doing. ;)

8. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Well, thanks for the safety tip. ;)
    I don't have that kind of curiosity so I had no intention of opening up the TV.
    I just use the darn thing.

Purchased an LG 32LD350 LCD which I've had for a few days now.

It doesn't have a S-Video Input which I could use with the VCR, but it has
    more connectivity options than some other similar sets, including the Samsung
    which has No Composite connection. This LG model has two Composite and also two HDMI
    and one Component Input.

I was pretty irritated when I found out that there isn't any video source that
    actually matches the 16:9 screen ratio. :mad What's the point if Nothing matches!
    For the last six years or so I've been buying only Widescreen versions
    of VHS and DVD movies 'cause I like to see the Entire picture AND I figured that
    when I finally got a widescreen TV, I'd be able to see the wide format filling the
    entire screen. With some material the Zoom viewing effect works pretty well, but
    with many things you still lose a bit of the top and bottom.

In addition, the manual warns about causing image burn in of the dark outer areas
    if watched in 4:3 mode for a long time.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds