dell inspiron 1501 blue screen unmountable_boot_volume

Discussion in 'Software' started by derek2442, Feb 10, 2008.

1. derek2442

derek2442 Private E-2

i have a dell inspiron 1501 notebook. Everytime i try to start my computer a blue screen comes up that reads..

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage.

Unmountable_boot_volume

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press f8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical Information: ***STOP 0x00000ED (0x84BCEE30, 0xC000006C, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"

I have tried to restart it in safe mode and this screen with not go away. I ran diagnostics then I tried hitting ctrl and f11 to restore my computer to the point when i purchased it but i dont know the command that i need on the dsrreset command prompt. any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. derek2442

derek2442 Private E-2

3. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

If you press del, or f2 to get into the bios , when you startup, then look to see if the hard drive is recognised - if not, it is possible that the hard drive has/is failing.
    Check that the leads to your hard drive have not come loose-sometimes ease off, and replace the ide/sata leads can be an answer.
    If your hard drive is covered by Dell, then it could be possible to have it replaced, depending on any Warrenty period- or, if its a Maxtor, or Seagate, you can go to their site, put in the numbers on the hard drive,
    and if still in Warrenty, they will replace it, free- you normally get an RMA number from their site,
    and send yours to them first - last time I did that Seagate were very quick.
    I believe other hard drive manufacturers are pretty good, if under warrenty, still.

If your hard drive is not recognised, check in the bios is set to autodetect to detect the hard drive.

If you have not got your Dell recovery disc, or, drivers you can try here.
    http://support.dell.com/support/top...ackupcd_form?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&redirect=1

Hep pages to restore by Dell
    http://support.dell.com/support/top...pe=&os=&component=&lang=&doclang=&toggle=&dl=

http://support.dell.com/support/top...n/document?c=us&cs=19&docid=181284&l=en&s=dhs

Come back if you need more help.:major

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Just in case, I would recommend downloading, and burning the Knoppex live CD (its free)
    You can look into the old hard drive, if its not dead, completely, and it is possible to save some data to a usb stick.
    Or, connect the hard drive as aslave to another computer, and you can read/copy of it through the management consol.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  5. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

6. Aflay

Aflay Private E-2

I know your pain. my friend has just recently gotten this for the same type of laptop. I dont know what to do. he said to get the recovery disk, but he cant find it, and that taking it to any computer repairmen will cost him. I decided to look it up, and I got nothing but the same response, get the recovery disk, download it, buy it, I CANT! I have no money, and I shouldn't pay for anything anyway. it happened randomly after turning off the computer
    and it hasn't gone way since. if there is anybody nice enough to tell me (and anyone else who has this problem) about how to fix this, please do, and it has to be somthing that costs no money, requires merely a dialup connection, and can be done in at least an hour or 2. basically, anything that doesn't put too much effort. I'd really apreciate it and my friend too if anything. at least an explanation, cause it happened after I held the powerbutton for 5 seconds on the laptop. it was running some programs, and it has been doing the UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME bullshit for some time. I am really sick of it. also, it is the only source of wireless internet we got, other than this dialup computer http://forums.majorgeeks.com/images/smilies/frown.gif I am not kidding. It was a bitch looking for this blog, it sucks so much to use dialup. If I have to download anything that is worth too much memory to download, than Im screwed. one last thing, my friend has money, but I dont, and I dont think either of use want to buy anything, and I dont trust certain sites either :mad .

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  7. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Microsoft have given a pretty good page on possible causes, and commands to fix , and I have included the link, to help, ESPECIALLY AS IT IS FREE.
    I have seen windows update cause this problem, when just allowing automatic update,
    The main one I use is CHKDSK /R (note the space before the forward slash.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297185

8. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

As this was an old thread, I should add that to run the commands you will need your XP disc,.If it will not start in safe mode or, last time system was working correctly --in the microsoft link I have given- other commands like fixboot, and chkdsk/r are shewn if you scroll down that page.,(In case you have a problem getting to safe mode, press F8 before starting machine, if you have a fast starting machine, and keep it down when pressing start buton)
    Previously I had touched on the problem when the hard drive was not recognised, and in microsofts link, this explains a possibility of using different leads (if IDE), after an update, so if you still have problems read that link through, a few times to get to grips with it, but if you still have issues, come back for more help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds