Can I use a Restore Disk?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BigGuy08, Feb 8, 2007.

1. BigGuy08

BigGuy08 Private E-2

My current hard drive has crashed, and it is beyond repair. I do have a valid restore disk, but I do not have a Windows XP program CD. I do have a valid Windows XP license. Can I use the restore disk to loak XP on this new hard drive? I am open to other ideas also. I just need to get this computer back up.

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

You have nothing to loose by trying. some restore disks contain everything you need , some need to be used in conjunction with a floppy that came with the pc (e.g.toshiba) you can download these from Toshiba. Some need to be used in conjunction with stuff ( a small partition ) that the manufacturer puts on the hard drive.
    First things first. What is your level of experience?
    Will your restore cd take control of the pc when you put it in and boot?
    You need to have the CD set in bios as the first boot device can you do this?
    If you have done this and the cd still won't boot download a bootdisk from

www.bootcd.com

Let us have more information if we can help further.

Studio T

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds