Does anyone use VOIP or anything like it?

Discussion in 'Software' started by bigfurrykid, Apr 3, 2010.

1. bigfurrykid

bigfurrykid Sergeant

Here's the situation in a nutshell. I'm needing to trim a little off of the monthly bills and was wondering if anyone uses any type of VOIP and if so, how well does it work?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Yes, but in work, we use Cisco VOIP phones, but the calls will need to be to other users of VOIP for you to save really well on calls, we use VOIP to VOIP as calls are free, well bar the cost of the internet connection.

Skype maybe a good alternative if you have a mic on your PC and many of those you call alot use PCs as they may well install Skype or even MS Live Messenger allows calls, checkout Skype though and their call charges

3. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

I use Skype to call my family in Sweden. They list their prices here.

4. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I also use Skype. It's free from computer to computer and very minimal when calling a landline. A good service overall.

5. bigfurrykid

bigfurrykid Sergeant

How about Magic Jack? I've heard, good, bad and indifferent.

Does anybody have one of these and if so, are they worth it?

6. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

My thought would be to screw the VOIP costs and just talk with others thru IM. ( Yes, Mimsy and Laura, I am still in the dark ages and don't pay for TV either!! LOL).

7. bigfurrykid

bigfurrykid Sergeant

The only problem with that is that not everybody I need to talk to is on the net.

I'm looking for a way to trim the monthly bills, without having to sacrifice too much.

8. scajjr

scajjr Sergeant

I installed a Magic Jack setup on my wife's nephew's computer when we were visiting over Easter. Pretty easy setup, works fine. I think they paid $40 for it, can't remember what the monthly cost is, pretty low I think. You do have to have the computer on all the time (or at least when you want use of the phone).

If you want to use like a 2-3 phone cordless phone setup with Magic Jack, the base unit is the one connected to the Magic Jack at the computer, then the cordless units can be placed around the house.

Sam

9. bigfurrykid

bigfurrykid Sergeant

Thanks Sam. I do have mine on all the time. We are building a home office for my wife and she was thinking about getting her own phone line/number for it.
    That seems to be the way to go as far as ease and low cost..

10. scajjr

scajjr Sergeant

They are running XP SP2 on their PC (old AMD Duron 900Mhz, 512mb setup) and at first XP couldn't find a driver for the Magic Jack USB device. Rebooted a couple times then it found a driver for it, then it'll go online and download the software and install it. You then go online to register and get a phone number. They try to get you to buy other stuff at each step but it's a fairly quick setup.

Sam

11. Ostylee

Ostylee Private E-2

Magic Jack = A++ for low-cost, home use. Also Recommend giving Skype a try before committing to Magic Jack, but either way two great available options!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds