Anybody use Vonage VOIP?

Discussion in 'Software' started by MrPewty, Sep 5, 2004.

1. MrPewty

MrPewty MajorGeek

I was considering switching my phone provider, and I was wondering if anybody was using VOIP.

Any reviews?

2. muskybob

muskybob Fish Tickler

Howdy Mr. Pewty, you might want to post this in the lounge. I think Kodo either switched to it or inquired into it.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I currently use it.. I love it.
    Caveats:
    If your broad band goes down, you have no phone.
    if you want to call 911, it goes to an exchange then to 911

Workarounds:
    Cell Phone
    Leave one phone jacked into old line. Federal law mandates that 911 cannot be disabled even if you don't have phone service.

Service has been great. Leave the bit rate at 90 and you'll love it. If you put it on 50, you might hear an echo every now and then and high pitches can cause a button tone sound to occur.

They have great features too; and for an extra 5 per month, you can get a 800 number.

all in all, I give it a 9 out of 10.

5. MrPewty

MrPewty MajorGeek

Thanks guys, I appreciate the time spent. I think I'm gonna give it a try. My long distance bills are getting up to $200/month.

6. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

holy cow man.. yeah! Give it a try.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds