Voip

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by juggalo29935, Jan 4, 2006.

1. juggalo29935

juggalo29935 Private E-2

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

If wanting to know more about Skype http://www.skype.com/ I have Vonage, and pay $14.99 monthly for 500 minutes. The USB handset works like a Softphone/PAP, which means that where ever your computer goes, you can take the handset and use it while connected to your laptop on a WiFi network.

There is also http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php

3. gay2jp

gay2jp Private First Class

Google also has a free "google talk" app out now... limited (for now) to those having a gmail account, I think. In general the free ones are only pc to pc, the paid ones allow calling out to and calling in from land lines. Skype has a "skype-out" capability for a few cents per minute. I think yahoo is also getting into this. Very fast-changing space.

4. Blacktop Roland

Blacktop Roland Private First Class

I got some answers, having just gotten a VOIP service myself. For my VOIP, you DO pay a monthly service fee, but the fee is a flat rate for all local calls and infinite long distance, plus the flat rate is low (for all my features above, I pay 25$ a month). You need a VOIP service top user the phone, or at least the VOIP converter box, which is kinda like a router.

5. thenewmadmax

thenewmadmax Private E-2

can skype use a regular telephone/voip adapter?

6. thai_american_42

thai_american_42 Corporal

In the near future, I will be making a lot of long distance calls within the US (I live in the US). I'm interested in a free or flat rate fee for all local and US long distant calls. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Blacktop Roland: what VOIP service do you subscribe to and what services did you look over to make your decision?

juggalo29935: As for how does VoIP work, check out http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/ip-telephony.htm

7. mrmrmr

mrmrmr Private E-2

Sunrocket and Vonage are the ones I hear the most about. My friends use Sunrocket.

8. MZPRESTO

MZPRESTO Private First Class

http://www.voipcheap.co.uk

I use this provider and they are fantastic. There is no monthly fee, you just have to credit your account by £10 every 120 days (4 months) and that entitles you to FREE calls to landlines 24/7 pretty much all over the world.

Works out at £2.50 a month! BARGAIN

Calls to mobiles are also significantly cheaper! I used to use skype but voipcheap offering the free calls to landlines made me switch!

My girlfriend called a US landline from the UK and was on the phone for nearly an hour and it didn't cost a single penny!

9. MZPRESTO

10. thai_american_42

Re: Voip - Skype

Kansas City Star (MO)
    May 16, 2006
    Section: D

BITS & BytesBITS & bytes: Internet phone firm offers free long-distance calls

DAVID HAYES

Skype, the Internet phone company now owned by eBay, is offering free long-distance calling in the U.S. and Canada for the rest of 2006. The San Jose, Calif.-based company announced the special deal on Monday.

Skype is a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) phone service, similar to those offered by companies like SunRocket and Vonage. However, unlike those services, which are designed to replace a customer's local and long-distance phone service, customers use Skype almost exclusively for long-distance calls. Skype customers use software on their computers and headsets or special phone handsets to call any traditional landline or cell phone number in the world. They also can make calls from computer to computer to other Skype customers. Although it isn't required, Skype works best using broadband Internet services like DSL and cable Internet, rather than standard dial-up connections.

Calls that go from computer to computer have always been free, while Skype charged a couple of cents a minute for domestic calls to a landline phone.

Henry Gomez, Skype's general manager in North America, said the company will drop even that two-cent charge in an attempt to draw more people to the service.

Skype has been seeing new competition from companies like Yahoo, Google and even Microsoft, which are beginning to offer similar services. Microsoft, for instance, is beta testing a service that allows Windows Live Messenger users to call landline or cell phones worldwide.

Skype, which has a strong consumer base overseas, will continue to charge for landline or mobile phone calls to countries outside of Canada and the U.S. Those calls generally cost two cents a minute and up, depending on the country called.

Skype contends more than 100 million registered users have downloaded the company's software worldwide.

11. thai_american_42

In Consumer Reports January 2006 issue, there is an article entitled "SPECIAL PHONE SECTION. Best phone & plan for you" that discusses INTERNET PHONING. I don't have the article, but will check it out. Here is what I have:

The continuing rise of alternatives to the landline telephone makes the days when you simply got a phone and service from The Phone Company seem more quaint by the year. Most households now supplement their landline service with one or more cell phones, which may be used not only for voice calls but also for sending text messages and digital photos, or even playing TV clips. And chances are that the cable company or another provider is trying to sell you on Internet phone service to supplement or replace your landline service.

This special section guides you through today's telephone thicket. It helps you choose the right phones and reliable service to go with them. And it shows you how to pay less - sometimes much less - on your bills.

THE RIGHT MIX How you can cut costs and have safe emergency service by choosing the ideal combination of wired, wireless, and Internet phoning.

BEST CELL SERVICE Our exclusive Ratings of wireless providers in 18 major metro areas can help you zero in on the right one for you.

CELL PHONES We tested 33 models to find the top performers. Plus advice on the most useful phone features.

INTERNET PHONING It's more widely available than ever, and if you make a lot of long-distance calls, it could be the cost-saving option for you.

12. thai_american_42

Thanks to all those who responded. OK! I found a good VoIP comparison site. To compare VoIP choices, check out http://voipreview.org/

13. thai_american_42

Re: Voip Headset

Assuming I find a good Voip plan (http://www.voipcheap.com/ might be good, but I need to look further into it), I will need to buy a VoIP Headset. Any suggestions on a good VoIP Headset?

14. MZPRESTO

15. thai_american_42

16. MZPRESTO

voipcheap.com is the international version and it should still be free from usa to usa landlines. If you download the software you get FREE trial calls with out having to credit a single penny! You can make 1 minute calls to any of their free destinations, so it's worth a try to test it out.

Then if it works you credit the account by £10 and get free calls to landlines 24/7 for 4 months! and you get to use your £10 credit for mobiles! If you ask me you can't go wrong! I am so impressed with it, it has prob saved me hundreds of pounds!

17. Tabasco

Tabasco Private First Class

I use SunRocket (www.sunrocket.com), and I love it. It's much cheaper than a typical phone--$199/year flat--but works just like a normal landline. The international rates are ridiculously cheap as well, and you get an alottment of free international built into that price depending on the plan you get ($3/month if that's the plan you choose).

18. Tabasco

Tabasco Private First Class

Just wanted to bump this, was curious to see what the OP went with. Did you get SunRocket? Skype? Somethin else? Let us know how it goes. :)

19. thai_american_42

20. thai_american_42

With voipcheap.com, you cannot get a United States VoIP-In phone number. Also, free calls have a limit: Max 300 minutes per week of free calls, measured over the last 7 days. Unused free minutes cannot be taken to the following week(s). If limit is exceeded, a minimal rate of 1ct/min will be charged (as shown in the VoipCheap software). I couldn't find anything on calls originating within the United States to destinations within the United States.

21. bizzo

bizzo Private E-2

Just go with vonage.. I've had it for about 1.5 years now. Its perfect, easy.. and cheap. I even signed up for a second line and they sent me the router for free the second time. (first time I had to pay a fee) But its alot less then those VoIP special phones you need if you want to talk via yahoo or skype etc.

I pay for the unlimited.. Great deal but i doubt i even use it enough for that.

You even get a month free if someone refers you, and you can take the router they send you Anywhere in the world, hook it up to the internet via broadband, plug in a normal "any" phone and you can make your calls for free, and people can call you at your #.

For instance.. Live in NY, travel to Florida for the winter? Take your vonage with you.

If anyone wants the free month.. of course let me know and i'll be happy to send ya the link.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds