bonjour add on in ie 8

Discussion in 'Software' started by tidalwarrior, Mar 5, 2010.

1. tidalwarrior

tidalwarrior Private E-2

I have this add on from apple called bonjour in ie 8. What is this exactly? I don't remember installing this.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

3. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Did you install Itunes? I believe it comes with that. You can disable it.:wave

4. tidalwarrior

tidalwarrior Private E-2

yes i have itunes what is bonjour?

5. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

I google it and its some kind of two way messaging software. I don't use those things so I'm not to up on it. I just know I don't like crap getting installed on my machine without permission.:wave:wave

6. DavidGP

7. tidalwarrior

tidalwarrior Private E-2

thanks for the link, gives me a better idea. could be related to windows live messenger that I installed.

8. chookers

chookers Staff Sergeant

I don't think Windows Live Messenger uses it. I've certainly never noticed it on any of our computers until AFTER we install something like iTunes. Wiki suggests these programs:
    iTunes
    iPhoto
    iChat
    Adobe Systems Creative Suite 3
    Proteus
    Adium
    Fire
    Pidgin
    Elgato EyeTV
    Gizmo5
    TiVo
    SubEthaEdit and e
    Contactizer
    OmniFocus
    Safari
    Asterisk
    Bonjour Browser
    iStumbler
    Zeroconf Neighborhood Explorer for Windows
    Apple's "Remote" application for iPhone and iPod Touch also uses Bonjour to establish connection to iTunes libraries via Wi-Fi.

Wiki also comments:

9. DavidGP

Likely came with iTunes as its one of Apples apps now and defaulty installed.

Is it causing you any issues, and in IE add-ons Tools > Manage Add-ons is it listed in the add-on list? if so who's is listed as the Publisher? just incase its from someone else or old version installed with one of the above post listed apps.

10. tidalwarrior

tidalwarrior Private E-2

I found that it can be opened as a side panel. Its published by Apple and here is there description:

<<
    1. What is Bonjour?
    Bonjour, also known as zero-configuration networking, enables automatic discovery of computers, devices, and services on IP networks. Bonjour uses industry standard IP protocols to allow devices to automatically discover each other without the need to enter IP addresses or configure DNS servers. Specifically, Bonjour enables automatic IP address assignment without a DHCP server, name to address translation without a DNS server, and service discovery without a directory server. Bonjour is an open protocol which Apple has submitted to the IETF as part of the ongoing standards-creation process. To learn more, check out the Bonjour Protocol Specifications which detail the technologies that make up Link-Local and Wide-Area Bonjour.
    >>

I'm uninstalling it. It hasn't caused any problems but it doesn't seem like it has much purpose right now. I can always reinstall if I need to. The toolbar that opens only shows "about Bonjour".

,Ricky

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds