Sound device failed on laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kibble, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Kibble

Kibble Private First Class

Hey guys,

I'm not at her house to get the exact information, but basically, my friend has lost all sound on her laptop. Windows media gives an error about problems with the sound card being faulty or something.

She is pretty much a computer noob, and she told me it happened when 'she deleted her MSN folder because she was too addicted to it'. :p I don't see why deleting MSN would take the sound with it, so I'm thinking she did something else without actually knowing it.

To me, this sounds like a driver issue; like she deleted part of the onboard sound drivers. I will get more information if it is required, like error messages and stuff, but does anyone have any suggestions based off of what I can remember?

Thanks in advance,

--Kibb

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Start / run / type "sfc /scannow" without qoutes and have the xp disc handy ...as a start ...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds