Re-Install Windows XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by jeepfanatixs, Sep 28, 2014.

1. jeepfanatixs

jeepfanatixs Private E-2

Hi there.
    I have been working with Kestrel13 trying to solve a suspected malware infected laptop
    Dell Lattitude D620 running XP Pro

This laptop started giving DEP error message when running iTunes.
    I uninstalled iTunes
    Then I noticed AVG (Free) was showing an exclamation mark on the identity protection.
    and then i noticed a problem accessing the internet.
    My laptop was trying to aqcuire ip address.

After working through the
    READ & RUN ME FIRST Malware Removal Guide (incl. spyware, virus, trojan, hijacker)
    Kestrel suggested I contact the software forum. As :"Alot is broken that is none malware."

This laptop had an infection about 5 years ago.
    A friend helped me get rid of the virus by reformatting the HD and reloading windows.
    About a year ago I contacted microsoft regarding an issue.
    They checked the windows registration and reported that it was an invalid registration.
    This laptop still has the original sticker with the windows product key pasted to the bottom.

Is there a way that I can reset this to the original settings etc?
    If this would solve all the problems - then I am prepared to 'write-off' all the data etc on this laptop and start from scratch.

Is this something software supprt can help me with or do I need to take it in to a store?

Thank you for your help and advice.
    Sincerely
    Mauritz

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

There's a way to change the XP Product Key to the legitimate one on the sticker.

This guide gives step-by-step instructions with screenshots.

3. jeepfanatixs

jeepfanatixs Private E-2

Hi there Mdonah
    Thank you for your advice.

I have been trying to run the
    %systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a
    Command without success.
    I followed the steps as per the supplied link and everything worked right up to this step.
    When I enter this command and press ok - I see the hourglass come up, but then it just dissapears and nothing else happens.
    :cry

Do you have any advice for me?
    :confused

4. mdonah

Try entering it as "C:\Windows\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a" without the quotes.

5. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Actually if your reinstalling dont change it, just use the new info with the reinstall. If you try to activate this and then reactivate it again might cause an issue.

6. jeepfanatixs

jeepfanatixs Private E-2

Thank you both for the advice.
    I tried running
    C:\Windows\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a
    but get an error message saying that the location is unavailable.
    When I look at the C:\
    I find there is two dir called windows.
    One called Windows that has limited folders inside
    the other called WINDOWS.0 has all the folders including
    system32\oobe with a file msoobe.exe

I suspect this dir Windows.0 was created when XP was last installed on this laptop?

Should I run the msoobe.exe from the WINDOWS.0 location?

7. jeepfanatixs

jeepfanatixs Private E-2

Update:
    I have found the files that used to reside in the WINDOWS directory and can restore them.

Keeping in mind that I have had this new version of WIndowns XP on this laptop for a while - but am prepared to loose all the data in that installation if I can rejuvinate the original instrallation :)

Or even if all else fails - just wipe everything off this laptop and start again?

Over to you

8. mdonah

It looks as if you're going to have to start over. "%Systemroot%" should be "C:\WINDOWS" (Sorry, my mistake :-o). That "WINDOWS 0" folder is causing a problem with this change of Product Key and it may be what caused the invalid Windows that Microsoft reported.

If you've got an XP install CD, wipe the drive completely, install from the CD but use the Product Key from the sticker on the computer (unless the install CD came with it's own Product Key. If it did, use that one).

My laptop came with an OEM (Dell) XP Pro SP3 re-install CD and the Product Key matches the one on the sticker so, there's no problem with activation. But, I also bought a retail version with it's own sticker in case something happened with the Dell CD (like it developed a crack or otherwise became corrupted).

9. jeepfanatixs

jeepfanatixs Private E-2

Just before wiping everything.....
    When I boot this laptop -
    there is an option to select one of three operating systems to start:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Microsoft Windows Recovery Console
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional.

Yes that is right.... there is two entries for
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional

The first one takes me to the logon that I have been using for the past 3 years.
    The last one takes me to the original logon screen used when I purchased this laptop.

If possible I would prefer to restore the original logon, but due to the time - I cannot remember my password?

10. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

As long as you have recovery media (i.e. Windows XP discs) you need to wipe the drive completely, including the MBR (master boot record). FYI, if you simply do a standard windows format with XP or W7 for that matter, it does not wipe the MBR and if there is any malware tucked away it will reassert itself after a full reinstall. These are called rootkits.

The reason you see two installs is that the previous one still remains recorded in the MBR.

11. jeepfanatixs

jeepfanatixs Private E-2

Thank you Mekanic
    Two questions:
    1a Is it possible to "rejuvinate" the original XP installation?
    There are some installed software that I would love to be able to re-use if I could find the license codes from that original installation
    1b. I have forgotten the password for that original installation -

2. what is the best way to completely wipe the drive?
    I do have a windows XP disc and the key (original sticker) is still pasted to the bottom of that laptop

Thank you for helping

12. mdonah

One of the tools that many of us use is MiniTool Partition Wizard (download the ISO file [the download link is at the bottom of the page] burn it to CD and boot from the CD). Wipe the drive using one pass (you're re-installing WinXP). You may need to select each partition individually and perform wipe partition for each one. Leave the drive "unallocated" and let WinXP do a complete format before it installs Windows.

As far as the apps you want to keep, if you have the registrations for them and the installers, you should be able to install them on the new XP installation. Trying to "migrate" them from the original XP install is next to impossible because of where the installers place files and registry values.

Apparently, you have an OEM install CD (Dell, HP, etc). They generally have a Product Key embedded and if it matches the sticker, you don't have to enter it during installation. But, apparently, your embedded key doesn't match the one on the sticker. So, go through the installation and then change the Product Key according to the guide I linked you to in Post #2.

13. jeepfanatixs

jeepfanatixs Private E-2

Mdonah
    THANK YOU!
    I will follow these instructions and let you know how it went.
    greatfully yours
    mauritz

14. jeepfanatixs

jeepfanatixs Private E-2

I created a bootable disk
    Wiped the drive
    now booted up using the XP disk
    Question:
    Should I create a seperate partition for the boot drive and have another partition for all my program files?

and what sort of partition would you suggest?
    there are two options:
    either NTFS or FAT
    I had a quick browse via google and it seems there are pros and cons for each.
    Which would you suggest?

15. jeepfanatixs

jeepfanatixs Private E-2

Woohoo!
    Yippee
    Yay!
    Thank you for all the help!
    I am at last typing this mesage on the laptop that had all the issues!
    Windows XP Re-installed.
    Avira antivirus and IObit Malware Fighter installed.
    All security updates installed
    All drivers reloaded.
    Driver Booster from Advanced system care installed.
    All drivers updated.
    Belarc installed.

I have one Issue left:
    Hotfix Id: EOL-Adobe End of Life
    Adobe Flash Player 6.0.88.0 ActiveX 32-bit is vulnerable and no security updates are provided by the vendor

Have searched and tried updating it, but not making any headway.

Could you help me find a solution?

16. mdonah

In IE8, go to Tools -> Add ons and remove Flash Player. Google "latest version of Flash Player for Internet Explorer". You should get a link from Adobe in the results.

XP requires NTFS format. I hope that's how you formatted the drive. The Windows installer would have done this when it formatted the drive.

As far as your apps, they could be installed on another partition or drive by selecting it in the installation destination from within the installer but, a better idea is to install to the default "C" drive then get in the habit of making regular drive backups in case of problems. You would then be able to restore things from the backup image you created. I just had to do this yesterday because I was also running the Windows 10 Technical Preview on my computer and got rid of it when I read some of the comments in Major Geeks News " 7 plus 8 equals 10".

17. jeepfanatixs

jeepfanatixs Private E-2

Thank you Mdonah.
    I appreciate all the help and advice!
    I formatted the drive in NTFS and only created one partition.

What is the best way to make a drive backup?

18. mdonah

Since you're running XP Pro, ASR (Automated System Recovery) is available to you but would require a CD AND a floppy disk.

Better to use utilities such as EaseUSTodoBackup, Macrium Reflect or my personal favorite, AOMEI Backupper (use the one on the left and choose Local Download, NOT the CNet download).

With AOMEI, you can create bootable media without downloading anything else. You would use the bootable CD to restore your system. It also has the best compression algorithm of the ones listed (saves a lot of disk space when creating the backup image).

19. jeepfanatixs

jeepfanatixs Private E-2

Hey Mdonah!
    THANK YOU!
    This laptop is now working perfectly again......
    I am using Panda Free Antivirus and SUPERAntiSpywareto keep me virus free (hopefully)
    I have downloaded AOMEI Backupper so expect to be able to get back online a lot quicker in future should I be unfortunate enough to fall victim again.
    Thank you for all your help
    Sincerely
    Mauritz

20. jeepfanatixs

jeepfanatixs Private E-2

Could you help me with an issue on my desktop computer here too - or should I start a new Thread?
    Let me ask the question here - and you can direct me to the best area for me to seek an answer?
    My Compaq desktop tells me that I need to install a security update for Windows XP KB2481109 but when I try to install it I get an error code 0x8007F0F4
    I have tried configure windows to start in a 'clean boot' state and installint the update, but that has not solved the problem.....
    Where should I post this query?

21. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Start a new thread.

22. mdonah

I didn't see a new thread started by you as TimW stated to do so here's the answer I found:

It's from Microsoft Technet.

23. jeepfanatixs

jeepfanatixs Private E-2

Outstanding Mdonah!
    Thank you.
    That absolutely solved the issue....
    I searched and lookd everywhere I could think of, but could not find a solution - and in one quick email - it is SORTED!
    Thank you for your help!

24. mdonah

You're entirely welcome. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds