audio formats

Discussion in 'Software' started by Anon-b31a679ab6, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Anon-4a1b0d26a4

Anon-4a1b0d26a4 Anonymized

All of the music on my machine (WIN7SP1X64Home Premium) is in .flac format and I'd like to find out which format I should convert it to that will still be lossless and playable on the greatest number of devices.

I'm so old I still listen to CD's. I've got an MP3 player that I bought over a year ago with some extra memory and it's all still in the packaging, unopened. I'm going to start going to the 'Y' again and I'd like to be able to take some music with me.
    My machine can work with so many device memory types that my external USB2 drive is I:/ drive. It can do so many things with my DVD/CDROM discs it amazess me but the only thing I've ever done with it is play and record my CD's and watch DVD's for rented discs.

Thanks in advance.

Pythagorus

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

The only lossless format that will play on all Windows PCs, is WMA (Windows Media Audio) Lossless, using Windows Media Player. Most MP3/MP4 players will also play WMA files, but that usually means WMA Constant Bit Rate, and Variable Bit Rate. The more upmarket MP3/MP4 players can play WMA Lossless.
    You can either re-rip your CDs with Windows Media Player (change the setting to WMA Lossless), or convert your Flac files with a program like FreeRIP.

Here's the link to download FreeRIP: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/freerip.html

PS If you use WMA or MP3 with a constant bitrate of 256, you and 99% of listeners wont here the difference. And the average file size will be less than 8MB versus ± 30MB for Flac files.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2014
  3. Anon-4a1b0d26a4

I want to be able to play the CD's on any player. Several tracks on some of the original CD's are jittery or for all intents and purposes won't play at all.

Pythagorus

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Problem with that is the device needs to be charged. If you haven't opened in a year and it was stored wherever you bought it, the battery might be dead and unable to be charged.

One of my friends did the same thing. I told her at the very least, hook it up to the computer and charge the device.

Take it out of the packaging, hook it up to the computer and see if it will charge.

5. Eldon

:confused Follow these steps:

1. As advised by plodr, connect the MP3 player to a PC to charge. If it's not charged after 12 hours, the battery is dead. Buy another Mp3 player. Read the documentation (specs) and look if WMA Lossless is supported. If not, use WMA or MP3, Constant or Variable Bitrate. Choose the highest setting (number).

2. If the CDs are jittery during playback, ripping them with a program that supports jitter correction may help, unless the discs have become physically corrupted.

3. Convert the FLAC files on your PC to WMA or MP3, using the best setting (highest number) using FreeRIP.

Kindly refer to my original reply.

6. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

@Eldon...please use MajorGeeks downloads where available. We host the FreeRip download, so I edited your post. You can search for them here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/

7. plodr

pythagorus, post the brand and model of your mp3 player so I can look through the manual and see what types are supported.
    My Sansa Clip+supported audio/music formats
    1. .AA (audible)
    2. FLAC
    3. MP3
    4. Ogg Vorbis
    5. WAV
    6. WMA
    7. WMA (secure)

So if your's supports flac, you don't need to change a thing. Just use Windows Explorer to copy the tracks you want to the device.

8. Eldon

@LauraR, will do.

9. Anon-4a1b0d26a4

plodr , I have a Sansa +.

Eldon, I use jetAudio Plus VX for audio playback. It can do everything.

Thanks to one and all

Pythagorus (win7SP1X64HomePremium-i7 860 processor, NVIDIA GT320 graphics card)

10. plodr

Well if it is a Sansa Clip+, then it accepts flac files. Note: these take up more room than mp3s so less songs will fit on your device.
    If you have an sdhc card, you can put songs on there and listen.
    The maximum size my Clip+ accepts is a 32GB. (I'm not sure larger size cards will work).

I simply take my songs, open Windows Explorer and copy them to the card.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds