New hardware problem Win XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by cdpaul, Oct 24, 2014.

1. cdpaul

cdpaul Private E-2

Hi,
    I'm trying to fix my mates tower running XP (He uses it offline). Problem is it only has usb ports and when I turn it on it finds "New monitor" and wants to install software for it but I can't because it hasn't recognised the usb mouse or keyboard yet. So I'm stuck.

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

The first thing that spings to mind is can you use ;resto; to an earlier time ?

Click the home button and then in the ACION CENTER you have the option to restore.

3. cdpaul

cdpaul Private E-2

OK, I obviously didn't explain it properley.

The computer at start up needs to recognise my usb mouse, my usb keyboard and my "plug and play" monitor. Unfortunately it's finding the monitor first so I CANNOT use the mouse or keyboard

4. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

It now sounds like a driver problem.

Do you have access to anther PC where you can download the drivers and transfer them.

the instructions for XP are at the bottom of the list

Introduction Hardware Troubleshooter Drivers More
    Update drivers

For Windows to recognize your device, you might need to find and install a compatible driver. Outdated, incompatible, or corrupted drivers can disrupt communication between the computer and the mouse, touchpad, or keyboard.

If you recently upgraded from one version of Windows to another, it's possible that the current device driver was designed for the previous version of Windows.

If you've had recent power outages, viruses, or other computer problems, it's possible that the drivers have become corrupted.

Downloading and installing the latest driver for your mouse, touchpad, or keyboard can resolve these types of problems. Here are three ways to find and install a driver:

Use Windows Update. You might need to set Windows Update to automatically download and install recommended updates. Installing any important, recommended, and optional updates can update system features and other software that might help to fix your device problems.

Install software from the device manufacturer. For example, if your device came with a disc, that disc might contain software that installs a driver for the device.

Download and install the driver yourself. You can search for a driver on the manufacturer's website. Try this if Windows Update can't find a driver for your device and the device didn't come with software that installs a driver.

For more information about updating your device driver, follow the steps below that apply to the version of Windows you have on your computer. For information about devices that are compatible with Windows, go to the Windows 7 Compatibility Center website.
    Windows 7
    To update the driver using Windows Update

Click the Start button Picture of the Start button, enter "Windows Update" in the search box, and then, in the list of results, click Windows Update. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In the left pane, click Check for updates.

If there are any available updates, click the links to see more information about each update. Windows Update tells you if an update is important, recommended, or optional. Each type of update might include drivers. For more information, see Understanding Windows automatic updating.

On the Select the updates you want to install page, look for updates for your device, select the check box for the driver that you want to install, and then click OK.

There might not be any available driver updates.

On the Windows Update page, click Install updates. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Windows Update will tell you if the updates were successfully installed.
    Note

Some updates require you to restart your computer. For more information about Windows driver updates, see Automatically get recommended drivers and updates for your hardware.

To download and install a driver yourself

If Windows can't find a driver for your device, and the device didn't come with driver software, you can look for a driver on the manufacturer's website. Driver updates are often available in the support sections of their websites. To locate the driver, find the manufacturer and model name or number of your device, and then go to the Computer Manufacturers’ Contact Information website.

After you find your manufacturer, go to its website and locate and download the latest driver for your device. If you find an updated driver, follow the installation instructions on the website. Most drivers are self-installing—after you download them, you usually just double-click the file to begin the installation, and then the driver installs itself on your computer.

Some devices have drivers that you need to install yourself. If you download a driver that isn't self-installing, follow the steps below.

You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps.

Click the Start button Picture of the Start button, type "device manager" in the search box, and then click Device Manager. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In the list of hardware categories, find the device that you want to update, and then double-click the device name.

Click the Driver tab, click Update Driver, and then follow the instructions. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Windows Vista
    To update the driver using Windows Update

Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Update.* Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In the left pane, click Check for updates.

To see if updated drivers are available, click View available updates. Windows Update will list any updated drivers that are available for devices installed in your computer.

If updates are available, click the driver that you want to install, and then click Install. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Note

Some updates require you to restart your computer.

To download and install a driver yourself

If Windows can't find a driver for your device, and the device didn't come with driver software, you can look for a driver on the manufacturer's website. Driver updates are often available in the support sections of their websites. To locate the driver, find the manufacturer and model name or number of your mouse, keyboard, touchpad or other pointing device, and then go to the Computer Manufacturers’ Contact Information website.

After you find your manufacturer, go to its website and locate and download the latest driver. If you find an updated driver, follow the installation instructions on the website. Most drivers are self-installing—after you download them, you usually just double-click the file to begin the installation, and then the driver installs itself on your computer.

Some devices have drivers that you need to install yourself. If you download a driver that isn't self-installing, follow the steps below.

You must be logged on as an administrator to perform these steps.

Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Update.* Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In Device Manager, locate the device you want to update, and then double-click the device name.

Click the Driver tab, click Update Driver, and then follow the instructions.

Windows XP

After you find the manufacturer, go to its website and locate and download the latest driver for your device. Driver updates are often available in the support sections of their websites. If you find an updated driver, follow the installation instructions on the website. Most drivers are self-installing—after you download them, you usually just double-click the file to begin the installation, and then the driver installs itself on your computer.
    To install the latest Windows updates, including drivers

Go to the Windows Update website.

Click Custom, and then wait while Windows looks for the latest updates for your computer.

In the left pane, click Hardware, click Optional, and then select any hardware driver updates for your computer.

Click Review and install updates, and then click Install Updates.

You should also install any high priority updates.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Does the keyboard work to get you into the BIOS? If so, make sure the USB ports are enabled.

What brand and model of computer?
    I've been working with someone for 5 weeks on a Dell Optiplex with the same problem. The keyboard works for a short time in the BIOS then all the USB ports die.
    I thought it was a Windows issue but he booted a linux Live CD/DVD and the USB ports did not work there either. Now it looks like a hardware problem.

6. cdpaul

cdpaul Private E-2

Guys, I haven't explained this right.

I'm trying to fix a problem of blue screening, NOT the USB keyboard thing. When it's connected to HIS keyboard and mouse it starts fine as does the keyboard and mouse.

A secondary problem is that I brought the tower to my house and it's when I plug my keyboard and mouse and montior that I'm having THIS problem. I can't fix the initial problem if I cant get it to recognise my keyboard/mouse

I suppose the easiest way to sort this out is to go and get his keyboard and mouse, I was just hoping someone might have had a solution.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  7. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I realize that we do not fully understand the problem you have so it is difficult to give a definitive solution.
    Your suggestion to use his mouse and keyboard is a good idea and will allow you acess to the command center.
    this is a way that stops the PC going blue but if you can give us a bit more information we may be able to work out a plan of attack.

From the Desktop or in the Windows Start menu, right-click on My Computer or Computer.

Click the Properties option.

In the System Properties window, click the Advanced tab or the Advanced system settings link.

On the Advanced tab, click the Settings button in the Startup and Recovery section.

In the Startup and Recovery window, uncheck the Automatically restart check box.

Click Ok.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds