Connecting to the net with wireless network and window ME... can I?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cord, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Cord

Cord Private E-2

Ok, heres the problem. I've got a second system with WinME installed, also dual boots to linux but i'm not concerned right now with getting it setup under linux, only winME. I've installed a 3-Com 11a/b/g wireless network adapter and that sees and connects to my wireless router without a problem.

My problem is I can't seem to get internet explorer or anything to connect to the internet using said wireless connection. It works without hassle on the computer i'm using to post this but this has WinXP installed.

Any suggestions to get internet explorer and other applications to recognise an internet connection through my wireless router under windows ME?

Any help much appreciated.

BT 1250 Wireless Router
    3-Com 11/a/b/g wireless card that sees the router through it's configuration utility
    1 GHZ Celeron processor
    512MB RAM
    64MB Geforce 4MX graphics
    Windows ME 4.90.3000

2. {wizard}

{wizard} Private First Class

under a dos command prompt...are you able to "ping" the router?

also in dos, are you able to "ping" an outside domain? google.ca or intel.com or redhat.com?

what's your ip address?? is it 192.168.x.x 172.16.x.x 10.x.x.x or something like 169.254.x.x ???

if it's 169.254.x.x your not getting an ip from the router..

if else then go in internet explorer -> tools -> internet options

under the connections tab and click SETUP, should resolve your problem

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds