problem with internet?

Discussion in 'Software' started by horsesrme, Apr 5, 2005.

1. horsesrme

horsesrme Private E-2

Not sure if I am going to word this right, or should I say explain it right, but anyhow, when I am on a site be it mail or a website, sometimes it just goes off and I am back to my background! And lately when I hit the back button I keep getting this 'server cannot be found' messege. Not all the time, but a heck of alot more times than I would like. Gets aggravating, I am waiting for it to happen now! Don't have to touch anything, just type or be reading something and poof all gone! Now my son says 'I have no problem on my side'. So what am I doing wrong or not doing right? Thanks. And is there some program on your sight I can download to stop this or prevent it? :confused:

2. horsesrme

horsesrme Private E-2

It just did it again! I was on my yahoo mail and when I clicked send, 'poof' back to square one, my background! What the heck! :confused:

3. greenknight32

greenknight32 Sergeant

If you hope to get any help,you need to supply a lot more information.Read the announcement at the beginning of this forum, it explains what you need to provide.

4. horsesrme

horsesrme Private E-2

Great! It just did it again, I was typing out what the problem was and all of a sudden everything disappeared and I ended up on some site that says DNS error server cannot be found! All I was doing was typing to you's. Its' like this dang computer has a mind of its own. I lose everything and I don't do anything to cause it. Just minding my own business. I read the announcement at the beginning of the forum and did a search, but man, I don't have all day, sorry don't mean to sound trivial here. I just did a spybot search and nothing to big , just some minor stuff. I don't know how else to explain it, is there something specific you are looking for?

5. greenknight32

greenknight32 Sergeant

6. horsesrme

horsesrme Private E-2

Aha! I read the wrong one. Sorry, but now I just read that one, and well it didn't help me any, guess I am one of those people they made 'computers for dummies' books! I am not sure how to explain my problem other than it, the computer, just seems to do what it wants. Any minute it is going to make all this disappear and this dns error page pops up and says server cannot be found! Will do this when I am in the middle of something, like this typing or searching internet. I don't think I have a spyware problem, am constantly doing a spybot search and destroy, we have norton antivirus, plus the protection from road runner, I believe, the rr. one I will have to check on. Can I over do it on protection?

7. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

It would help if you gave your system specifications, operating system ( which version of Windows and any service packs installed ), and what brower that you are using! :confused:

8. horsesrme

horsesrme Private E-2

Windows XP 2000

9. horsesrme

horsesrme Private E-2

internet explorer, Does that help? Why do I keep getting zapped to this DNS error page? Even when I am checking mail, forwarding it, sending it or just typing like now?

10. horsesrme

horsesrme Private E-2

microsoft internet explorer. Is that what you need?

11. saltybull

saltybull Private E-2

Could it be your Internet Explorer is Hijacked by Spyware?

That would cause it to jump to another site that does not exist anymore causing the DNS error????

Just a thought!

Ever use Firefox and see if you have the same problem?

12. horsesrme

horsesrme Private E-2

Just heard of firefox on this site. But shouldn't my norton antivirus protect me from spyware? And when I do a spybot search and destroy, it never finds much. If and when I download firefox, does it get rid of microsoft explorer or do I have to do that manually? I am not to computer smart, as I guess you have figured out already LOL I did read something on the rr site about problems with microsoft internet explorer, guess I should go back and read it better. Thanks

13. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

Downloading and installing FireFox will not delete Internet Explorer. You wouldn't really want to do this anyway, as it is necessary for Windows updates, and that is what I use it for.

I'm running Windows 2000 and FireFox on the computer that I'm using to type this and have no problems. Instead of deleting IE, you might want to try repairing it.

Antivirus software doesn't protect you against adware and malware, only viruses. I personally run Spybot Search and Destroy, AdAware SE, and A2 squared. Another good program is the Microsoft AntiSpyware utility. All are free and available for download in the download section of MajorGeeks.

14. horsesrme

horsesrme Private E-2

Hey thanks! I will download those and try that. One question, when I download these, do any of them require I restart computer? Only asking because I share computer with son, and he has his away messeges on and God forbid I restart computer and he might miss a messege lol. Can you still get yahoo and all the others msn and all when you are on firefox? I see you shaking your head and saying 'another dumb broad question' LOL But I have learned from experience sometimes you have to ask dumb questions to cover all your bases. :rolleyes:

15. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

I believe that A2 Squared may require you to restart your computer after installation, but it has been so long since I installed it that I can't say for sure. It is always a good policy to restart your computer after installing or deleting any program.

If you were referring to instant messaging programs with Yahoo and MSN, I can't answer that question as I don't use them. I stick with email. I'm sure that there will be a member logged on before long that can answer the question for you.

Forgot to mention that there is also a link to download FireFox in MajorGeeks also.

16. horsesrme

horsesrme Private E-2

Thank you Novice, you have been very helpful, and if you ever want a horse, look me up lol :)

17. saltybull

saltybull Private E-2

You can have as many browsers installed on your system as you want!

Instalation of Firefox does not require a reboot!

You can run Firefox and IE expolrer at the same time if you want to!

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2248.html

18. horsesrme

horsesrme Private E-2

Thank you saltybull! I might just do that. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds