Computer Starts after 2 minutes! HELP!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by srcobranza, Jun 3, 2009.

1. srcobranza

srcobranza Private E-2

Hello,

I got what i think is a problem with the motherboard, when i press the trun on button on my computer it seems to turn on but nothing happens until a few minutes, then the bios post starts. i don't know if theres an option in it for this "delay"; i double checked the manual but i didn't find anything about. i already checked the other components (memory, gpu, psu, cpu)and everything seems ok.

SPECs
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Model Name : GA-MA78GM-US2H(rev. 1.0) from GIGABYTE
    --------------------------
    M/B Rev : 1.0
    BIOS Ver : F4
    Serial No. :
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    VGA Brand : ATi Model : hd 4830
    CPU Brand : AMD Model : Athlon 64 X2 Speed : 2.7 ghz
    Operation System : Vista 64-bit SP :
    Memory Brand : Kingston Type : DDRII
    Memory Size : 4gb Speed : 800
    Power Supply : 500 W

- Western Digital Caviar 320GB Sata Hard Drive.

-LG DVD+RW 22x Sata Drive.

- Memory 4gb = 2 x 2GB

2. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

Do the lights go on and off during the two minutes?? Do you hear any beeping sounds?

3. srcobranza

srcobranza Private E-2

Thank you.

Well the power led stay ON and there's no beed. A friend of mine told me it could be the power supply. What do you thing?

4. Nimda

Nimda Private E-2

The first thing i noticed was that i think your PSU is not powerful enough, but i doubt that would cause a dely. I would check your to see if any of your components are causeing the problem, and just swap some parts in and out and see if anything makes a difference. It might give you a better idea for the source of the problem.

and of course make sure all your drivers and BIOS are update as usual.

5. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

I would strip it back to basics, PSU, CPU, (onboard if you have it) video card, a single RAM stick. See if it does it then. If it doesn't then put the components you removed back in one ny one until it does it again, once it does it again, the last component you replaced is the culprit.

6. srcobranza

srcobranza Private E-2

Hello, i just replaced the PSU for a 630w one. it no longer takes minutes but seconds to post. I also went back to basics, remove all the components, even the hard drive, them remove the batery from the mobo an wait like 40 mins. and put it back. then i try with onle de CPU and a single memory stick. But it did the same thing.

Today i'll try with a new memory stick...

7. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

Well if the replacement PSU works ... is this computer custom built or has it had custom upgrades?

8. srcobranza

srcobranza Private E-2

It's custom built [upgraded]

Brand new psu, mobo and cpu, but the memory, video card and hard drive are from an old one.
    It now takes 10-15+ sec to display the bios post, but, i don't know if you can consider that normal?????

9. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

Yea its normal enough.

Whenever building a new system, always make sure you get a good quality, reliable, PSU with MORE than enough power. ALSO make sure the PSU you buy has the proper Power Pins for high end graphics cards ...

10. srcobranza

srcobranza Private E-2

Thanx for all the help guys.

11. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

NP :) Glad you could sort it out.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds