Browsing Windows XP Themes

Discussion in 'Software' started by Megaman.EXE, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Megaman.EXE

Megaman.EXE Private E-2

I have a few problems with Windows XP and its compatability range. I've noted that some older programs, even new ones dont work with the professional version of this OS. Such as some theme packages that I am downloading, they come under the file format of <name>.sdtheme , the error message reporting that this isnt a valid theme file. I was wondering if there was a way to round this problem?!

Another issue, is browsing some of the windows optional setting files, like icons for the desktop customization, sounds for the start up menu etc etc. Can anybody guide me though Windows XP to these options so that I may edit and remake my computer exactly how I am most comfortable?

Thank you :)

2. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

According to filext.com, .sdtheme file = Nintendo Desktop Manager Theme

Found this:

3. David983es

David983es Private First Class

The problem you are having with themes, is that XP (Home or Pro) will only use themes that are signed by Microsoft. The themes you are downloading require a theme manager to apply them, or using a hacked uxtheme.dll file.

I would recommend checking out some of the sites I have listed here, they have info on both methods:

There is lots more out there for making XP more personal.

1 person likes this.
  4. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

XP does not use themes of any sort. XP uses what are called msstyles.

To apply them you are going to either have to buy a program, one of which is called 'Style XP' (I think), or use the XP patch to change the dll file.

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Negatory.

Incorrectly, or shoddily written themes use msstyles only.

Otherwise, yes, XP does use themes.

I 100% guarantee it ;)

Do a search on your system for Luna.theme.

6. David983es

To your first line, the msstyle extention is a "theme".

As for your second line:
    In my post. TGT Soft makes StyleXP and also has a uxtheme.dll patch.

Wrong, do a search for luna.msstyle. The theme extention is used for the saved collection of Appearance, Sceensaver and Wallpaper. The msstyle extention is what the Appearance section of screen properties uses to select the color (i.e. metalic, blue or green) and the style (WindowsXP or Windows Classic or others if the .dll has been modified) to be used.
    Your statement makes many of the themes located a ThemeXP and Belchfire shoddy as well as MS original Luna.

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

No, you are incorrect.

Correct themes have a .theme file. Those who do not make a full theme, and as far I am concerned, that is shoddy work, do not have .theme files.

Correctly created themes use the theme section of Windows XP, not just the appearance settings.

I stand firmly by what I said.

Luna does indeed use msstyles, but not alone which is precisly what I said that shoddy themes do. Do a search on Luna.theme. Themes are NOT just msstyles files.

I use partial themes (mssstyles only) all the time (I'm not saying its wrong to use them). But that doesn't make them a full theme, does it?

Half-arsed created themes that only use msstyles do not change sound schemes, or wallpaper.

That is all part of themes!

EDIT: Check the screenie on this post I added. See those .theme files? Now if themes were only msstyles, those would not be present. I have a mixture of full and partial themes installed.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2004
  8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I must agree with Adryn on this topic as a FULL Theme consists of a .theme file, msstyle ( which coincidently all of these are a hacked Luna.mst file ) file a shellstyle.dll, Wallpaper, Sound Schemes and Cursors.

Just click Display Properties and the Themes tab and read the first few lines.....

I too use hacked msstyle files only, as they serve the purpose of changing just the basic first glance look of XP, plus I also have been changing the icons ( mydocs.dll, SHDOCVW.DLL, Shell32.dll, url.dll etc etc to customise the whole of XP )

Last edited: Mar 2, 2004
  9. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

Agreed also most of the themes out there are half-arsed :D

Thats why i use Windowblinds and it rocks ;)

10. sniper-uk

sniper-uk Private E-2

11. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Oh my goodness, that reminds me, styleXP just expired :( Maybe i should go style hunting too.
    Oh, and personally, i find the whole theme thing quite irritating, because you end up having a load of daft noises and animation stuff turned back on if youre not too careful!

12. David983es

My apologies Adrynalyne you are correct, I am confusing a gui style with a theme.

I think what got me was the incomplete or shoddy part. I have styles that are very well constructed, but do not have a theme with them because I tend to use styles instead of themes for the reasons goldfish stated, they change sounds, wallpapers and other things that I have set up to my liking. I like to change the style then save it as a personnal theme when it is to my liking.

13. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Exactly what I tend to do David.... their are some superb styles out there but then their are some damm right NASTY ones as well ;)

I'm at present using a DJ Aqua style with a set of GANT icons hacked into the dlls I posted above so as IE, OE, and the shell32 icons are all changed.

14. David983es

Right nasty is the correct description for some styles and themes out there.

I am using the XPAmp 1.9 style in modern with the Gant2 Icon Packager set instead of a hacked shell32. I use Firefox with the Apolo theme which has Gant style icons. My cursors are the Pro Tools set for CursorXP. My Logoff and Shutdown boxes are from a set made for the SoulLuna style hacked into msgina.dll and shell32.dll. My wallpaper is Floating Bell (a tubular bell thing) by Hans Claesson.

I use IconPackager for ease of swapping icons around. It's a pain in the butt changing out system dll's.

15. abo.ahmed

abo.ahmed Private E-2

thanxxx

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds