Replace 667MHz DDR2 w/ 800MHz DDR2?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jon21, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Jon21

Jon21 Private E-2

I'm running a Gateway GT5668E desktop, as the link states below, and I was wondering:

Can I install 800 MHz DDR2 ram in this computer? According to the spec's on the page I linked to I am running 667 MHz... Will my mother board reject it, work with it, or fry?

http://www.premiumgeeks.com/desktop/gateway/gateway-gt5668e-specs/

Thanks,
    Jon

2. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

The worst thing that could happen is your computer would not POST (in other words, not start). It is not going to "fry" your computer.

According to crucial.com, the types of memory your computer can take is PC2-5300 and PC2-6400. That would be 667 Mhz and 800 Mhz. So the answer to your question would be yes, your computer can take 800 Mhz RAM.

If you mix 667 Mhz and 800 Mhz RAM together, all RAM will go at speed 667 Mhz.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds