Microsoft search enhancement pack folder

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dakotasbabe, Dec 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dakotasbabe

Dakotasbabe Private E-2

Hi guys

Everytime I boot up my PC this folder opens on my desktop.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Search Enhancement pack

This only started after I ran a free online reg scan a couple of days ago.

Any help in getting rid of it would be appreciated thank you.

Jacquie

PS I have now downloaded a free Reg scan programme from your list which I should have done before :-o

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Which Windows version are you using?

What online registry cleaner did you use?

Do you use any of the Windows Live applications like Live Toolbar, Live Writer, Live Messenger and Live Mail?

Just some further questions first as maybe software issue or could be iirc that that reference has been linked in the past to malware.

3. Dakotasbabe

Dakotasbabe Private E-2

Hi Halo and thank you

I'm using XP, and the cleaner was RegCure. I recently downloaded a newer version of windows live messenger, I unclicked all the other options that came with it, looking at my add remove progs I have: Windows live essentials, windows live upload tool and windows live sign in assistant (do I need those to run messenger and mail?) And I'm using windows live mail.

Jacquie

4. DavidGP

Hi

Live upload tool is not really needed but doesnt cause harm (cannot remember if this latest version of the beta WL Messenger needs the upload tool as part of the file sending of WLMess, live sign in agent is good for remembering multiple Passport accounts and the same not needed but handy. Live Essentials is the new all in one installer/uninstaller for all the Live Applications, you didnt on the install screen install Windows Live Toolbar did you?

You may need to uninstall all Windows Live applications, but before we get to that stage, backup your account settings in Windows Live Mail, to do this click Tools > Accounts and highlight each one in turn and click Export (save to a location you will remember, actually a good thing to do as its a great way to beackup your email account settings). Plus use this app and backup your email just incase the accounts are not set to keep a copy on the server.

But try this first, click Start > Run and paste this bold line in and hit enter msiexec /x {A853BEB2-B270-4645-AAAA-9D83C2233BD3} hopefully should uninstall offending search component.

Also to preempt a question I may have and to save time, download and install CCLeaner and run its cleaner and registry components (the cleaner removes old junk temps but does also remove cookies, so if you have any websites set to auto log you in on opening you will have to add the user/pass again or in CCleaners menu Options > Cookies, highlight and send to Cookies to Keep side the ones you wish to keep).

Then click Tools > Startup and take a Screenshot of the list and attach it here.

5. Dakotasbabe

Dakotasbabe Private E-2

Hi Halo
    Sorry for the delay, what with work and Xmas, I've been a bit busy :eek:)

I did everything you said in the previous post, but it still came back. (I run CCleaner all the time, and no problems to fix in registry etc)

I don't know why, but I didn't bother to open the search enhancement pack folder before today, and it contained a 'Choice Guard' app or something, so I looked it up on the net and found this.

http://blog.tiensivu.com/aaron/arch...at-is-Choice-Guard-and-why-does-it-exist.html

I decided to delete the whole folder and checked WL Mess and Mail and they seem to work fine, so I deleted the file from the recycle bin and all is well.

Thank you so much for your help.

I hope you had a wonderful Xmas, and have a fantastic New Year!

Jacquie

6. DavidGP

Hi Jacquie

Cheers for the update and your fix for this, yes Aaron has some good fixes on his website for issues with PCs.

You too on New Year

David

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds