F@H on a Netbook?

Discussion in 'Software' started by DavidGP, Mar 19, 2010.

1. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi folding folks and folkettes

Has anyone or does anyone have info on folding on an netbook and if they have tried it, just thinking is this a good route to take as I use my netbook alot, just dont know if its worth adding it as a machine to f@h?

Can imagine its PPD would be low as hell, but then every point counts.
    Is their a specific engine for netbooks, have Stanford thought of this area, I dunno.

Yes I could try it myself and be a guineepig, but thought for once I would ask the experts in folding :)

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Disclaimer: Not a Netbook expert.;):-D Well, it would have to be run only when you're plugged in the mains as that would kill your battery post haste on the road! :eek I would install the SMP version as a service(no fuss no muss assuming it's a dual cored machine) and configure it to not run on battery and as a service. This way, whenever you boot up, the service is automatically started. I'm assuming W7/Vista here?

Windows XP/2003/Vista Console client only zip file (with Windows-service-install option).

EDIT: BTW, I would start at %50 CPU and see how the heat things go first.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  3. DavidGP

Hi Augie

Glad you where one to pick up this thread as I know your info is trustworthy..... yes its running Windows 7 Home Premium, SMP I knew was out from the get go as the Intel CPU is an Atom and single core sadly, does have 2GB ram, battery life of this one is near 7hrs and it does last that far, even recharge my mobile phone via it!

But when using mostly its on mains.

Guess I should just try the general GUI client? GPU yeah right with onboard GFX!

4. augiedoggie

You can use the console one that I linked to but omit the -smp flag and it should work as a uniprocessor client but I'm not sure here, it's been quite a while since I've had a single cored machine and the memory is a sieve.:-o

Uhm, I believe I said nothing about GPU folding as you would need a CUDA rated GPU and that only begins with the 8XXX series, g92 chip, that's not a netbook card I believe. Good luck!:)

BTW, confirmed 7 hour batt. life? Usually the actual batt. life is half of advertised. Excellent!

5. DavidGP

Yeah the batterey life is as advertised, superb really but as usual will depend on how you use your PC..... but in general usage its 7hrs or thereabouts,

Will try as you mention Augie, no you didnt mention GPU it was me being funnyass!

6. augiedoggie

LOL, I should have realized that you were being a 'funnyass'!:-D Those netbooks are tiny! Gawd man, how can you even type on one?:confused I'll never get one.;)

7. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Hey Halo, here's a link to the current projects at Stanford - http://fah-web.stanford.edu/psummary.html

Just looked at my old AMD single core at 1.2 Ghz and it does a frame in approximately 70 minutes to 90 minutes depending on WU.
    Say 80 minutes average for 100 frames = 5.5 days for 1 WU at 24/7 folding.
    Most of the GROMACS are 225 pointers so PPD would be about 40, less if you don't fold 24/7.

8. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

I used to use the general GUI client on my old Compaq nc4010, and it had a 1.7GHZ Pentium M CPU. I configured it to run only when on mains, never on battery, and to only accept the smaller WUs (can't remember size in numbers right now). It wasn't the most effective folding machine ever, but it did get things done, and I never saw a noticeable performance drop from it.

I haven't heard anything about how it will run on netbooks though.

9. DavidGP

Just looked over the projects, and this one sounds painful p2613_TETHERED VESICLES ~ ;)

But cheers as usual for the great info John,

Hi Mims

Cheers, TBH I should just stick my cycles where my mouth is and try these things out myself to test, but I feel its always good in areas like this to involve the great group we have here.

Think I may try the general GUI client and see how that fairs, I know may not produce much but as that PC is on alot during my working day it may just take up the slack from my main PC that runs CPU and GPU clients. *hehehehe just a pity I cannot get works 5000+ PCs and the 3 supercomputers at the Uni to run a few days for me!

This Netbook is a Samsung N110 with Atom CPU @ 1.6ghz and 2GB ram

@Augie, been using the netbook for most of yesterday and it also charged my phone up while I was using the phone for mobile internet (neat aspect of the HTC HD2 is internet tethering) and its now at only 69% and 5hrs life left, likely drop to 3hrs when I do a task or two, but its very good on power and even though its running Win7 HP and Aero, have alot of test apps on it, Office 2010 etc

Well seems to be working ok, and did specify small WUs also added passkey to see if that helps with extra points, running HFM.net to check on WUs, running it for the past hour me thinks this is not going to be a good route to be able to add good points at all to F@H, may scrap it as strain on PC vs F@H and acceptable PPD are not going to be worth the effort.

10. augiedoggie

Ya, that used to be a decent average PPD six years ago but no more. I would agree to scrap folding too, though there are people still folding with their 1GHz Celeron Desktops.;) At least the net book passed the F@H test which is as good IMO as any other stress test except for maybe something like OCCT.

11. DavidGP

Yeah It ran ok, but after 5hrs of runing with no movement in PPD, then its not worth the stress on the Netbook to continue if I'm honest, worth a go though, which I did do.

12. Mimsy

And now we know that, for when any other MG folder gets a netbook. :)

13. augiedoggie

Well, 5 hrs. doesn't mean much in the folding world, TPF(time per frame) is what defines how long something takes to complete.

Say it's 10min TPF so X 100(always a 100 frames)=1000mins which = ~17hrs./WU. So, 24hrs/17hrs* WU points= PPD. There's also a delay if you're looking at your stats and don't see your production, F@H is updated hourly and EOC is every three hours. Patience Sir Halo.;) (for future reference when starting using a different machine).:)

BTW, only complete WU's are shown, no partials.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  14. DavidGP

Within 5hrs you'd have thought that at least 1 WU was at least done, the WU set was 250 and within 5hrs it was 0/250 I know that I'm asking alot but would have thought at least a few would have been completed.

Will stick to desktop and man laptops for F@H, netbook me thinks not a viable solution.

15. augiedoggie

You had/have a problem as 0/250 after 5 hours gave you no frames done then just may as well kill it and forget it. Sounds like a good plan sticking to the desktop/etc. sir.:) Hey, it was worth a shot.;)

16. DavidGP

Yeah, worth a try on the netbook, but as you say Augie, worth a shot!

17. Mimsy

Oh wow, that's slow. When I ran it on my nc4010 I could usualy get the 200-300 WUs done in a couple of days, and I certainly saw progress in five hours. I agree with Augie, if it's still at 0/250 after five hours, it's not getting anything done, or at least not nearly fast enough to meet the deadline. That's a shame.

18. augiedoggie

Not really a shame Mimsy, IMO. Halo is now hopefully going to fire up some of his heavy metal now!:cool

19. noprob

noprob Corporal

I would have set the client to 100% using idle settings. (not the slightly higher setting of low)

The client will allow any programs to work while not taking any spare idle cycles.

The least I would have ran it would have been at 90%

just my 2ยข

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds