Windows 7 won't wake from sleep

Discussion in 'Software' started by jkman, Feb 10, 2011.

1. jkman

jkman Private E-2

My computer will awake from sleep if it's in it for a short period of time. If it's been in sleep mode for a few hours, it won't wake up. I tried moving/clicking the mouse, pressing buttons on the keyboard. It won't even reboot/reset from the power on switch or the reset button. The only way to get it out of sleep is if I go and flip the power supply switch off and then on.

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, jkman.

You might try Control Panel > Power Options > Change plan settings > Change advanced power settings - look at the settings there, such as Hard disk, Sleep, USB, etc., see if you can disable anything that appears to affect your symptoms.

That leads me to believe that there might be some extended power setting that's causing the freeze.

3. jkman

jkman Private E-2

turn off hard disk after:..............20 minutes
    Sleep after:............................. never (I set it to never b/c it wont wake up)
    Allow hybrid sleep:..................... on
    Hybernate after:........................ never
    Allow wake timers:......................... Enabled
    USB Selective suspend setting:.........Enabled
    Power button action:.......................Shut down (obviously)
    PCI Express
    ---> Link state power management:.......Moderate power savings
    Minimum processor state:.................... 5%
    System Cooling policy:....................... Active
    Maximum processor state:.....................100%
    Turn off display after:.........................Never (I set it to this)

4. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Maybe if you try changing the 'Turn off hard disk after' to some super high number (I don't see a 'disable' setting'), and disable the USB selective suspend setting. Just trying to see if these options have any bearing on your issue.

For that matter, you might even try disabling hybrid sleep for a while, see if your symptoms change.

5. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hmm, I'd turn off the wake timers first, then test, then go with Caliban's suggestions.

Also check for any 'wake on' network activity in both the BIOS and Device manger (for all network adapters).

There may be a wake on keyboard setting in the BIOS, sometimes this will also require a jumper near the PS2 connectors on the motherboard to be repositioned (double-check the manual before changing any jumpers!), this may only apply if you have a PS2 keyboard though.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If your mouse is a USB, this
    causes the ports to power down so the computer doesn't know there is a mouse attached. All the mouse jiggling does nothing.

7. jkman

jkman Private E-2

Ok, I turned the wake timers off and i disabled the USB selective suspend. I'm pretty confident it's the USB setting since both my mouse and keyboard are USB. I'll test out the sleep mode tonight and see what happens.

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I have found that in Windows Vista and Windows 7 if you press the power button with a quick press then that resumes the PC fine (no end of wiggling the mouse or hitting the keyboard with a sledgehammer works but the on/off button seems to work for me and many others)

although its not a 100% fix as other things that can cause hibernation/sleep to fail are as you have tried USB sleep in the hardware settings but also check the network drivers for sleep poer off settings and disable those.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds