No Cd drive in My Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Uh-Oh, Aug 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uh-Oh

Uh-Oh Private E-2

I am using windows 2000 and I am having problems with my cd drive its does not show up in my computer and when i put in any cd in the cd drive it starts to make a noise like it is working and than it just stops.

When i went to my hardware wizard there was a litle yellow triangle with ! in it and it told me "This device depends on another device that is not functioning correctly." Device manager error code 31.

If somwould could help me out that would be awsome

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Sorry to say, but noisy cd drive is usually dead, or, dying.I suggest you replace it.

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

...what???

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270008/

The cause doesnt have to be adaptec software, it can be any cd writing application, or application that installs filter drivers to the drive.

Noisy hardware is purely subjective to that particular brand and model and whether its clean or not.

4. Uh-Oh

Uh-Oh Private E-2

Thank you for the help but im fairly stupid when it comes to anything other than the basics for computers so i still need some help.

On the website it says:
    Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values completely from the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

How do i get to the kkey_local thing do i type it under run or how do i het to it. plz help and thanks for the previouse help

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

6. Uh-Oh

Uh-Oh Private E-2

thanks

7. Uh-Oh

Uh-Oh Private E-2

is there a thng to do it for you like on the xp version cause i dont want to end up messing up my computer?

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Let me drum up something.

Stand by.

9. Uh-Oh

Uh-Oh Private E-2

Thanks

10. Uh-Oh

Uh-Oh Private E-2

Wow! for best buy to fix my problem it would cost about $200 with taxes. Thats rediculus my computer only cost me $500

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Ok, first thing.

go to start, run adn type regedit and click ok.

In the registry editor that comes up, make sure My computer is highlighted, and click on the registry menu. Choose export. Save it somewhere safe, with a name you will remember.

Download this file. It is a clean registry key that will replace your corrupt one.
    Download Me
    Save it to your desktop, and then right click, and choose merge.

Reboot for the changes to take effect.

12. Uh-Oh

Uh-Oh Private E-2

ya im an idiot i dont know how to reboot mycomputer or is that the same as restart rolleyes

13. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

they would most likely reinstall the OS. Most of them don't know how to use a computer, much less fix it.

14. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Yes it is.

15. Uh-Oh

Uh-Oh Private E-2

Wow i havent downloaded it yet but wow do you work wih computers? if you dont you should i only know about up to the hardware manager other than that im completely usless

also is there a way i can scan that for viruses before i download it. I dont think youd send me a virus but i didnt buy this computer and ide die if i messed it up

16. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

If you have antivirus installed, it should scan as it downloads.

I'm not sending a virus ;) I am a moderator here, you can trust me ;)

The registry key I uploaded for you is on my own webspace, and is from a newly installed Windows 2000 Service Pack 4.

17. Uh-Oh

Uh-Oh Private E-2

see i dont know any computer words or jobs what is a moderator

18. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

er, I help keep order on the website. Get rid of advertisements, make bad people disappear, help people with their computer problems...yada, yada.

19. Uh-Oh

Uh-Oh Private E-2

Also sorry to be a pain in the *** but what is an example of a safe place to export my computer?

I have been without a cd drive for about two months and baught a new computer (this one) and some idiot to put the stuff on this computer from the other one had to i think he said freeze the old one cause it wasnt working properly and he put it on a cd so i cant get stuff like my resume or anything if i dont have a cd drive

20. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

My Documents.

21. Uh-Oh

Uh-Oh Private E-2

O so you wouldnt be the kind of person to give me viruses anywase ive got avg and zone alarm so it should be alright anywase if i didnt do that id have to fix money to fix my computer anywase

22. Uh-Oh

Uh-Oh Private E-2

Really isnt my documents in my computer?

23. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Yeah. When i said safe place, I meant somewhere where you wont end up inadvertently deleting or losing it :) On your computer is fine, because as long as this works, you will be deleting it momentarily anyway.

24. Uh-Oh

Uh-Oh Private E-2

Im just wondering (sorry im an idiot) but why do i save my computer to somewhere else first?

25. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You are saving the registry. the registry contains all the pertinent info on how applications can be used with your computer, including components of Windows.

We back it up in the extremely unlikely event that something doesnt work right. With the registry, there are no do-overs. Changes are a one way street, unless you have a backup, or the knowledge to revert the settings you have made.

We are just playing it safe.

26. Uh-Oh

Uh-Oh Private E-2

thanks for the help but it still doesnt work

27. Uh-Oh

Uh-Oh Private E-2

So this is what happed

I was playing a game diablo and it messed up i assked blizard for some help they said to run chkdsk so i did then i restarted my computer and when it was starting up a wierd screen poped up with a hole bunch of righting and when my computer was finaly done starting up my cd drive wasnt there any more

Should i try the thing from the website the h-ke/classes thing?

28. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

did you restart your machine?

Do you still have the code 31 in device Manager?

29. Uh-Oh

Uh-Oh Private E-2

I restarted it but i didnt check about the error code though but im doing that now

30. Uh-Oh

Uh-Oh Private E-2

ya i still have the error code 31

31. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You merged the file I posted, right?

32. Uh-Oh

Uh-Oh Private E-2

ya i right clicked it then clicked merge should i try again?

33. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Ok, right click on the device in Device Manager.

Go to Properties.

Click on the Driver tab, then choose driver details.

Please name off EVERY file listed.

34. Uh-Oh

Uh-Oh Private E-2

will do

35. Uh-Oh

Uh-Oh Private E-2

wow sorry for being an idiot but i forgot how to get to divise manager i was getting to it threw add remove hardware and i forgot how i got to it

36. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Right click My Computer, choose Manage.

It will be on the left hand side, click on it once. Contents are displayed on the right.

37. Uh-Oh

Uh-Oh Private E-2

ok the files are

computer

disk drives

display adapters

dvd/cd-rom drives (then it is expanded)
    ! HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8525B

Floppy disk controllers

floppy disk drives

IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers

Keyboards

mice and other pointing devices

monitors

network adaptors

ports

sound, video and game controllers

system devices

universal serial bus controllers

38. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

No.

Thats not what I asked.

Thats ok, for now though.

I've revised my fix.

Download Me

Same thing as before.

Save it, right click it, and then merge it.

This one is called cdfix2.

Make sure you merge the right file. Restart your machine after.

39. Uh-Oh

Uh-Oh Private E-2

YYYYAAAAAAAAAAYYYY you fixed it but its really stormy so im gona get off for now. but what do i do with your two programs on my desktop?

40. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Delete em. You no longer need the files. Better get off before your machine gets zapped by lightning :)

41. Uh-Oh

Uh-Oh Private E-2

hey i got my computer fixed but if you go back to this one i was wondering if you knew about the models of computers. I am thinking about buying a computer and was wonderin what type should i buy

42. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Make a new subject in the hardware forum. There are quite a few people here who can assist you with that question :)

43. Uh-Oh

Uh-Oh Private E-2

thank you for all your help. If this happens again could i just download the thing from the link again?

44. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Ive removed the files. Just ask for them again, if needed.

I dont think you will need them though. Just make sure whatever CD writing application you use from here on out is compatible with windows 2000.

WIth that said, you will need to reinstall your cd writing software after this procedure (make sure its compatible!)

45. Uh-Oh

Uh-Oh Private E-2

What theres more ugh. Ive never changed whatever what you said i didnt even know it existed

46. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Trust me, it was there. If you arent using it, dont worry about it.

47. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

My sincerest apolgies Uh-Oh, and Adrenalyne, I wrongly assumed an older computer, and failed to read post properly- ( error 31 ). Good job the moderators are here to keep me in check, and put you on the right track.
    Thanks for putting it right Adrenalyne. :eek:

48. Uh-Oh

Uh-Oh Private E-2

ok thanks for all the help

49. kzhang16

kzhang16 Private E-2

i've got the same problem, but it seems those cdfix's are no longer uploaded. Is it possible that they get re-upped? thanks

50. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

What OS?

I've got em for Windows 2000, XP and Vista.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds