Office 2003/ registry edit question

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tater, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Tater

Tater Tot

Hi,
    I have a question for anyone good at manual registry editing. I had a problem installing Office 2003 and found a fix on MS KB. After backing up my registry, I tried the following and my question is about step 6 (question is below):

Step 1:
    1)Modify the Registry Keys
    Locate the I386 folder on your hard disk, and then make a note of its path.
    2)Click Start, and then click Run.
    3)In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    4)In Registry Editor, locate and then click the following key:
    HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

5)Right-click the Installation Sources entry, and then click Modify.
    6)In the Value data box, change the value to the path of the I386 folder on your hard disk, and then click OK.
    7)Repeat steps 5 and 6 for each of the following entries:
    SourcePath
    ServicePackSourcePath
    8)Quit Registry Editor.
    Step 2:
    1)Install Mdac.inf
    Click Start, and then click Run.
    2)In the Open box, type C:\Winnt\Inf, and then click OK.
    3)On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
    4)On the View tab in the Advanced Settings box, click Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK.
    5)Right-click Mdac.inf, and then click Install.
    If you are prompted for your Windows CD, insert the Windows CD in the CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive.
    Click the I386 folder on your hard disk (typically, C:\I386), and then click OK.

Notes
    If you do not have the CD for your current Windows installation, click Browse, and then locate and select the I386 folder.
    If the I386 folder is a subfolder of the Windows folder, on some computers, you cannot select it.

In this case, type the full path in the Copy files from box (for example, type C:\Windows\I386 or C:\Winnt\I386), and then click OK.
    Restart your computer.

The question I have is when I right click the entry and hit modify, there are many paths listed in that entry and all are highlighted. Would it be safe to delete all of those and just add the path to I386? Am I reading the instructions wrong? I still get a little nervous manually changing the reg. This is on XP home edition.
    Thanks

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

just change the one that has the path to i386.

3. Tater

Tater Tot

These are the only entries listed:

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\driver
    C:\S3
    C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\OWNER\DESKTOP\32
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
    C:\HP\DRIVERS\VIDEO
    C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\OWNER\DESKTOP\DRIVER\SAVAGE2K_W2KXP_92101G
    C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\OWNER\DESKTOP\DRIVER\ S3 SAVAGE4 A145324
    C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\OWNER\DESKTOP\DRIVER\S3 SAVAGE4 (REV.D) (8 TO 16MB) (AGP) FOR NEC A145761
    C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\OWNER\DESKTOP\DRIVER\HOLTEK-HT27C512-70\SAVAGE2K\WIN2K
    C:\NVIDIA\WIN2KXP\41.09
    C:\INTERNET DOWNLOADS\NVIDIA UNZIPPED
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SPOOL\DRIVERS\COLOR
    \VIEWSONIC
    C:\WINDOWS\INF
    C:\INTERNET DOWNLOADS\NVIDIA
    D:

Thanks Kodo. Which one do you mean though, or is it missing?

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Check this screenie:

The key circled is the one in question.

Right click it, modify, and set the value to the path of the i386 directory.

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

It will look like this:

6. Tater

Tater Tot

Thanks Adrynalyn. That is what I tried but when I hit modify all the values in the above post are listed and highlighted. Do I delete them all?

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

To this>>>>

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Yes. Back the key up, just in case however. That should be implied whenever editting the registry.

9. Tater

Tater Tot

Wow, mine doesn't look like that at all. When I hit modify it says:
    Value name:
    Installation sources
    Value Data: (this is the info in an above post).

I guess I don't see whee I should change it. Do I delete all the old entries in there and enter C:I384 in the value data area?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2004
  10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Right. BUT:

back up the key, just in case.

Mine looks clean because this is a relatively new installation.

And not C:i384, but C:\i386 :)

Im sure thats what you meant anyway.

11. Tater

Tater Tot

Yeah, that's what I meant :) . I'll try it now and post results. Thanks once again for the help.

12. Tater

Tater Tot

O.K., I got further into the install than before but files with the wrong path keep popping up during the install. I've been running a search on the P.C. and have found several files needed to continue the installation until I came to this file:

MDACRdMe.htm

I couldn't find it on the P.C. so I did a google search which brought me to this page:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/mdacsdk/htm/mdacstartpage1.asp

I only need that file only (hopefully) and everything on this page is way over my head. Again, it's OEM WinXP home and I've searched the C and D (the pre-installed from HP partition with O.S. and all original files) drives with no luck. Any clue where I can get this file? Hopefully it's the last one.

13. Tater

Tater Tot

Anyone know about this MDAC files. I have the partial install still up. Should I start a new thread about this?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds