Ms Office FREE alternatives

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by goldfish, Sep 26, 2004.

1. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Just thought I'd post a link to a little review I did for my blog about free office alternatives. It helped me decide on what I wanted in the end, hope it helps some others too

http://www.goldfishsbowl.co.uk/index.php?p=42

Guess this is a "blog updated" post then ;)

2. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis Moutharrhea

Thats a great article you wrote, maybe you could have ma look at it and have it linked to from majorgeeks.com. i know a lot of ppl would want to read this.

3. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

I had a page that got slash-dotted once. Jeez.... good thing I've got unlimited bandwidth :p

4. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis Moutharrhea

How much does your site cost to maintain?

5. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Right now, nothing ;)

I run the server from home, but it will be moving to a hosting facility locally quite soon where it will have 10MBit burstable connection (wheee), but it will cost about 4 times as much as my internet connection. Eep.

6. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

what is your connection now? do you have a server or is it a desktop running server software? i am looking into doing that but can't really find any info.

eric

7. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis Moutharrhea

How much did you pay for the domain name?

8. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

All these questions!!

I paid £6.09 for the .co.uk domain name for 2 years

I've got a server running Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition, which is on my network running IIS 6.0. :) My connection is 512/256 DSL. Which is why I will be upgrading very soon ;)

9. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis Moutharrhea

LOL cool. anyways, just looked and your article has been listed on majorgeeks.com. hopefully it can hlep a lot of people out.

10. eric06

eric06 Sergeant Major

congrats goldfish. your a published writer.

eric

11. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

YAY :) Thats so cool.

Thanks whoever put the link on the front page :D

As of yet nobody has clicked from there, but I'm sure by tomorow I'll have that in my list of referrers.

A bizzare statistic for my blog. The only google query to come to my page was for "mod paint treo" .... :/

12. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

Well done Goldy! Not only informative, but you have an engaging writing style.

13. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

Openoffice.org is the shiznit

I uninstalled MS office once I tried that, def recommend it. Cant beat free and good.

Plus its cross platform so I can use it under my Linux Partition and Windows. Same format and all.

and if any office users need a file I just save as word etc document.

Easy as pie.

14. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

No problem :)

15. fleppen

fleppen Gumshoe

I could read about 75% of the text, the other 25% was behind the pictures, kind of annoying.

doesn't do that with IE but I'm not using IE for anything except WindowsUpdate.

browser: FireFox 1.0

edit: Excellent read though, been using OpenOffice on my own pc, it's ok, at least it's free :D

16. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

You using the default font size? Im using firefox 1.0PR and it looked fine

17. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Uhh, yeah, I built it with FF 1.0 in mind, ive tested on FF 0.7, IE 6.0, 5.5, 5.0 Mac as well as normal Mozilla and also FF on Linux... :/

The typeface should be Verdana, Tahoma, sans-serif; with the font size 12pt. :/ The Images really shouldn't go in front of the text EVER.

18. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis Moutharrhea

There isn't any problems as I see it. It may seem like it though because some of the words are touching the edges of the pictures but nothing is covered.

19. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Ah yes... hmm... that was done before I added the image uploader to it... and thus doesn't have the image div with drop shadow (i created the shadows myself in photoshop). I suppose I could put some padding div's around the images.. will that make you happier? :p

20. Freddy

Freddy Sergeant

Hey Goldie - do you know about the portability of files created between the open source and real thing - Office 2K? I'll have to give it a try.

In the past MS has gone out of their way to make sure documents created in Office don't work with other products.

21. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

OpenOffice/MSWord document is near perfect. Somtimes problems crop up with image ordering, but it isnt usually too hard to fix that (a quick "send to back" and its done). Imported spreadsheets don't seem to work, but tables are fine.

Anything made in OpenOffice is readable in MSOffice though :)

22. fleppen

fleppen Gumshoe

yeah default font size and all, doesn't seem to do it now though.. oh well, I guess I was hallucinating again :p

23. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Ah, one note on portability... my friend got random instances of Periphrial Aesthetics in the document. Might just be my friends setup, but I'll update when I've got some details.

24. Freddy

Freddy Sergeant

Thanks....since MS stopped requiring OEMs bundle Office I've been asked a few times about alternatives. But these are not power users and should be happy with the basic features.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds