Linux Anti-Virus Software?

Discussion in 'Software' started by judoka, Jul 14, 2009.

1. judoka

judoka Private E-2

:confused I was wondering if there are any Anti-Virus programs for Ubuntu. I tried AVD version but unfortunately it is no longer supported. I have 0.04 version of Ubuntu and besides downloading FireFox 1.5 what can I do to protect my system? Thanks:major

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Clarify what version you are running.
    Here are the releases and the dates. As you can see, the first one released in 2004 was 4.10; there is no .04 version.

Avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-for-linux-edition.html
    would probably be the most familiar

3. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

Keep in mind that generally speaking, you don't need an antivirus for linux. Just installing updates is enough to secure your system. Most people install linux antivirus software so they don't spread Windows viruses to other machines.

4. judoka

judoka Private E-2

I got ubuntu 9.04 and i just downloaded rootkit and some other scaner that came with the installation. I'll look into avast too. Thanks for the info guys

5. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

i agree with Senlis but if you do want anti-malware for your own system then there is rkhunter and chkrootkit (both are available in your repositories),

http://www.rootkit.nl/projects/rootkit_hunter.html

http://www.chkrootkit.org/

for an anti-virus there is also clamav

http://www.clamav.net/

clamav is in the mandriva repositories, don't know about other distros

as the various linux repositories are checked and double checked and there are thousands of eyes watching the software (users), then i believe that getting a linux virus is minimal to nil,

unless you download software from outside the respective repositories - but why do that ?

i use mandriva and all the software i need is in the repositories

6. judoka

judoka Private E-2

Thanks Hawklord. Do you by any chance know how to use telnet with ubuntu? I think i downoaded telnet but when i type: telnet website port it doesn't connect. Do you know why ?

7. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

sorry, never used it so i can't advise

8. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Use this link
    :major

9. wiebelhaus

wiebelhaus Private E-2

10. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

I use Avast. Not active protection, but to check files that will be used with Windows OS and to scan mounted Windows partitions. Followed the instructions below.

Install Avast:
    Register to get your key
    Download Avast RPM, right click> open with Kpackage> install
    At some point it'll ask for the key, I don't remember if its during install or the next step I list....
    Open Konsole and type avastgui, hit enter, update Avast
    To add Avast icon to task bar (kicker, panel) right click on kicker> unlock> Add application to panel> Add Non-KDE application.
    Now to configure the Avast launcher:
    Button title= Avast
    Description= AntiVirus
    Executable= /usr/bin/avastgui
    Now next to the Button title you'll see a box with picture, click it and icon data base will popup, choose the Avast icon, click ok and it'll be in your kicker panel.

11. bat21win

bat21win Private E-2

I used to use something called Fprot, it worked fine for me. Avast for Linux was okay too.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds