anti-virus software

Discussion in 'Software' started by pace, Dec 2, 2004.

1. pace

pace Private First Class

Recently I had a problem not being able to sign onto certain sites (Ebay etc.) I finally found the problem by uninstalling Norton Internet Security 2004 which had recently expired. My question is: WHat is the best anti-virus software to use. I recently purchased the Norton anti-virus 2005, anti-spam 2005 and system works 2005. My computer is a Sony Vaio with Windows XP OS. If I install the Norton set will I have a conflict, if so is there a better system to use? Also, should I disable the Windows XP SP2 firewall and if so how? I finally killed a bad virus on my computer plus I had been hijacked and the guys on the Spyware board helped me out, so I dont want to get into another mess with a virus or conflicting firewalls.
    Thanks,

Shannon

2. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis Moutharrhea

I and a lot of folks here will recommend Avast- http://majorgeeks.com/download1968.html

Its free, and it uses almost no resources, unlike norton does. So you will notice an increase in the way your computer runs.

For a firewall, I would recommend either Sygate (a little more advanced) - http://majorgeeks.com/download3356.html

Or ZoneAlarm (is easy to use) - http://majorgeeks.com/download388.html

Both work great, so it all depends on how well you know what your doing. Avast does a great job also, I have discovered more viruses on my computer once I got Avast and ran the first check, that norton didn't pick up. It works great, and the updating system is amazing. You won't even notice that its updating.

The personal verison of avast is free. All you must do is register for free during the set up process and it will get you a key. Then you can plugin that key and you will be able to use it for free.

3. Learning As I Go

Learning As I Go Sergeant

:) Agreed. :)

I use the avast/Zone Alarm combo. Very happy. :) :)

4. pace

pace Private First Class

I installed it and it seems to be working, but it never ask me to register or gave me a key, but it did scan and killed a bunch of stuff on my computer that Norton had missed. SHould I be concerned that I didn't get a key?

Also, before I install either Sygate or Zonealarm do I need to disable the Windows XP firewall that was conflicting with NOrton? IF so, how do I do that?

Thanks,

Shannon

5. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

it's a 60 day free trial then it will require you to go their site to register for your free key which you will get via email.

6. PhilliePhan

PhilliePhan Guest

Hi Shannon,

Yes, you do need to disable the Windows Firewall if you plan to use Sygate or ZA.

START > Control Panel > Security Center > Click Windows Firewall (at the bottom of the Window) & turn it off.

PP :)

7. pace

pace Private First Class

When Avast ran during the boot up mode it found several infected files and most deleted with no problems. On several of the files when I hit delete it alerts me that this file is part of windows, are you sure you want to delete it. (Most of these files have System32 in their title). Should I ignore these infected files or delete them? Also, on start up after I sign in the icons take several minutes to pop up, I can see my background picture but no Icons, then I get a pop up saying that a file had to be restored, I hit O.K. and everything else pops up normal and works fine. I am wondering if this is part of the files that Avast is saying is infected but giving me the Windows warning about deleting them.

Sorry for the amount of questions, I just want to get this computer back to normal.

Shannon

8. pace

pace Private First Class

When I go to Start>Control Panel> I dont have an Icon listed as Security Center. I looked in all the icons and couldn't find a Security Center or a place to turn off the Windows Firewall.

Shannon

9. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis Moutharrhea

10. pace

pace Private First Class

I have tried updating to service pack 2 and I get the following error message when trying to use Windows Update:

Update for Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) 2.0 and WinHTTP 5.1 (KB842773)

I checked MY Computer and it still says Service Pack 1.

Shannon

11. pace

pace Private First Class

The above is an error message I am getting when trying to update Windows. I set up for automatic updates last night but I checked this morning and still have Service Pack 1.

Also, I am getting the following error message everytime I reboot my computer.

Windows Registry Error:
    "One of the files containing the system's registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternative copy. The recovery was successful."

This message pops up on every reboot and it is also taking a long time for the icons to pop up on my screen.

Also, when the computer does boot up I am getting two Internet Explorer screens popping up. The address's of each are:

http//63.246.131.130/car.html
    http//63.246.131.130/index.htm

Thanks,

Shannon

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds