I get linux off of my computer

Discussion in 'Software' started by smilingjack, Oct 18, 2006.

1. smilingjack

smilingjack Private E-2

I get linux off of my computer, my son put on there when I lent it to him.
    I want the put XP-Pro back on, it is a laptop

Thank, Jack

2. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

get an XP Pro CD (from a friend or if you still have the one that came with your computer), pop it in, reboot, and install (to get rid of linux make sure you use the option to format the drive). Make sure you have your CD-key handy to activate Windows

3. smilingjack

smilingjack Private E-2

I try that, the CD won't boot up.
    is got thse form M$

4. rafal

rafal Private E-2

Now when the CD doesn't want to boot you should check in your BIOS if the CD-ROM is a bootable device. When your computer starts press F2 (or DEL) before the Linux bootloader starts. Then look for something in the options like "Bootable Devices" and make sure the CD-ROM is there (and put it on top of the list just incase). If that doesn't work maybe your Windows XP CD is broken, check for scratches etc.
    I have deleted Linux partitions and reinstalled them lots of times and have never had a problem.
    IMO you are in anycase better off with Linux.

5. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

well, since you have not mentioned that the pc has dual boot. if you want to entirely remove the linux partition from your harddrivel, you will have to insert your windows xp pro install cd again. Insert that CD. Restart your computer. And make sure you boot to CD (Don't try to set up windows while logged into windows (or linux). Boot to CD can be modifed through BIOS. But if the CD is in there, IT SHOULD say something like:

Boot to CD..... press any key........
    while starting up your machine.

this is when you press a key and continue on with the windows xp installation. During some point in the installation, you will get to a screen where it asks you where you want to install windows xp. You will see that linux partition, make sure you press the correct letter to delete that partition entirely and then install windows xp on a empty partition, there should only be one partition.

Should be done after this, fresh install of xp.

6. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

which version, and why?

If you think Linux is good....Vista will blow your mind!

Nothing has ever come close to windows, even if you do hate MS!

Regards....

7. rafal

rafal Private E-2

Without getting into an argument about Windows vs Linux, Windows has over 400,000 known viruses (I stand to be corrected however it's a ridicules amount) where as Linux has about 20 (none of which causes any widespread destruction).
    Windows is good if you use your pc for gaming. For internet, email, word processing etc. I'd stick with Linux.
    Which version? Most of the recent ones are user-friendly (I prefer SuSE).
    Don't get me wrong I have nothing against Windows XP SP2 (the previous ones sucked) just reliability and safety wise Linux is superior IMO.
    *prepares brief case to fight off M$ lawyers* ;-p
    P.S. I can't wait to see Vista although I think I'll wait a bit for them to have some time to patch it before I buy.

8. smilingjack

smilingjack Private E-2

I tried everything how to do. Including this.

set the computer to cd, cd, cd, no to all other boot up's.

it will boot the disk.

re-format the disk.

when windows say it re-stating, Go into BIOS system and set the boot up system to you usually way. floppy, drive 0, CD, all other boot up's.

That unused works.

Finally I get tired of this and un-plugged the computer off.
    Then I figure one more try.
    and when i plugged it back in and started it the the disk booted up ?
    I deleted all the partitions, reformed it, set new partitions re-formatted the and I was able to install XP-Pro.

Thank guys

jack

9. GaryG

GaryG Private First Class

Vista looks more like some of the Linux distributions I've seen than it does Windoz ------ and Vista costs a whole lot more.

10. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

Download the gParted Live CD.

Create the bootable CD from the ISO image.

Boot your PC using the gParted Live CD. Remove all partitions. Make sure your "apply changes" or the removal of the partitions will not take.

Now create one contigous NTFS partition using all available free space. Once again make sure to "apply changes" otherwise the new partition will not take. If the NTFS partiton will not take just create a FAT32 partiton, you can have Windows re-format the drive during installation.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds