Intel Chipset causes BSOD Acer Aspire One

Discussion in 'Software' started by hitreason, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hitreason

hitreason Private E-2

I too have this issue with a Acer Aspire One D250-1042. Clean install of XPP w/SP3 slipstreamed, BIOS hdd set to ide (not ahci).

Straight out of setup I installed the correct chipset driver from Acer (listed in DM as the SM Bus controller). After restart, BSOD.

If I don't install the SM bus controller, the ide channels are stuck in PIO mode, which is PATHETICALLY slow. I need the chipset driver to get my UDMA back.....

I have an identical model that made it through setup fine, with all the Acer provided drivers.

I fell back and reformatted (again) to prove that, yes, insanity is repeating the same thing expecting different results. I hate spinning my wheels!

So, what say you geeks?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  2. hitreason

hitreason Private E-2

Just a quick note from Acer:
    Since the unit is under warranty, I thought I would rattle their cage a bit. They claim that I need to buy the recovery CD for $19.99, since the drivers are VERY specific for the D250 model. So, I asked then why does the website even list drivers to download if they are incorrect? The presence of a STOP error suggests their incorrect driver is harming my system. The Intel Chipset driver (v.8.3.0.1018) is a blanket driver, it is supposed to cover MANY models of mobos, apparently not this one though.

So with Acer's flawed logic and spotty troubleshooting, we are all once again beholding to a OEM provider that holds a gun to our head for a "recovery CD". Unacceptable!

3. jets

jets Private E-2

Intel Chipset causes BSOD Acer Aspire One(SLOVED)

:cool

I can help out. It took me a while but I figured it out.

You will notice after downloading and installing the Intel chipset from the ACER site (or the Intel site) you will get the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD). The Intel chipset driver is Intel Mobile 945 chipset.

I don't know the cause of the error but I think the Acer Aspire netbook (AOD250 in my case) does not use all the Intel chips that are in the driver package, but just a guess.

So here is what to do to fix the problem: If you are still at BSOD no need to re-install Windows (XP in my case) just hit the F8 button and go back to the “Last know good configuration”, then uninstall the chip set driver in Add/Remove programs in the Control panel.

Then go to the device manager unknown device SM Bus device and update the drive. Now point the drive to where you extracted the original Intel chipset driver. The SM bus will now install. Now you can go and fix any more missing driver from the Acer support website.

To do the install clean do this: Install Windows (XP) then once it’s done download the Intel Mobile 945 chipset from the Intel site or the Acer support site.

Extract the file to a know location… Now no not install the whole package with the Setup Icon. Just go to the Device Manager and manually update the SM Bus driver using the update driver option, now point to the directory where you stored the Intel Mobile 945 chipset. You may have to fish around in the directories a bit to find it but it seems to me it was in the root folder.

Hope this helps someone.

Joe :wave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds