Upgrading... AGAIN

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sleepygamer213, Oct 12, 2005.

1. sleepygamer213

sleepygamer213 First Sergeant

So im finally upgrading my mobo and CPU... Im thinking of going with the DFI LanParty UT nF4 Ultra-D and an Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 1GHz FSB. Any thoughts?

2. sleepygamer213

I hear alot of bad things about the Ultra-D...... Thinking about dropping to UT....

3. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

you might consider a dual core, depending on your budget.

4. sleepygamer213

Im on a Mid 200 range budget... I was thinking about just getting a scoket 754 instead, because if i get an SLI motherboard, then i wont be able to use it until i get a pci 16x card.....

Should i get a 754, or save up a little more and go for the skt 939 with new vid card?

5. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

save up a little more for the 939 its worth it.
    pcie alone makes it worth it:)

6. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

I'd skip the SLI, one 7800 is better than two 6800s, and one 7800 is cheaper than two 6800s. I'm pretty sure one 6800 is better than two 6600s also, though I haven't checked.

PCIe, on the other hand, is an improvement over AGP. There isn't too much a difference now, but the next generation will use PCIe's greater speed. Plus, the 939 socket CPUs are alot more powerful than the 754s and that socket will be around longer so for upgradeability I would definitely go with a 939/PCIe board.

7. sleepygamer213

Alright Ive decided on the ASUS A8N-SLI motherboard because i love the BIOS soooo much more than DFI's. Although i think they are also a little more user friendly for OCing although they may not be AS good as a DFI i like ASUS....

Also, which AMD Athlon 64 core should i go with for gaming? Venice, Winchester, etc?

8. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

That's a nice motherboard, and it uses the best AMD chipset currently available, the nForce 4.

Coupled with a Venice AMD CPU, you will have a very good machine.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds