XP Downgrade Toshiba Notebook Sound Driver

Discussion in 'Software' started by mkesterco, Mar 29, 2007.

1. mkesterco

mkesterco Private E-2

Gave up on Vista and went to Downgrade to Win XP Pro SP2. Took lots of effort to get the drivers (XP) for the hardware... it is all suppose to be "in there" in XP according to Toshiba!

It's a new Toshiba 17" Satellite P105-S6147 and according to the restore disk that came with the computer it's using a conexant audio driver (for Vista).

Any help to get a driver that works would be great - 'cause the BIOS beep is getting REALLY annoying. THANKS!

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

I would think you could go to Toshiba's web site, navigate to the downloads/drivers page and download any drivers you need for that model. I'll check it out too, and if I find what you need, I'll post a link....

hopperdave2000

Edit: I did some research at Toshiba.com. I had to use a backward way to find these drivers. They're both Conexant audio drivers for WinXP, but I think the second link is your best bet...
    http://askiris.toshiba.com/ToshibaS...sliceId=&dialogID=4362283&stateId=0 0 4356847
    http://askiris.toshiba.com/ToshibaS...sliceId=&dialogID=4362283&stateId=0 0 4356847

GOOD LUCK!

3. chookers

chookers Staff Sergeant

Hopperdave, could you explain how you got there? I was looking at this one too and found that Toshiba's site is pretty unfriendly when it comes to finding the support section (if it exists)...

4. mkesterco

mkesterco Private E-2

HopDav2K-

the first link tried to install although clearly a different model - errored out at the last install bar stating no hardware found.

the second link would extract but wouldn't even try to install (and I manually tried both setup files setup & HFsetup)

I tried to do as a previous post of the same problem suggested to me (he has the P105-S6137 model, mines the 6147) .... he said you manually install the Vista driver by stating drive, location, ignore compat. warnings, and he claims he eventually got it to work.

I've tried every direction at the vista driver and haven't succeeded yet....

Could you offer any more advice?? THANKS!

EDIT:

I tried to follow IPSCMASTER's advice (search: Audio Driver XP - near top of list), I followed it to the letter and still that horrible bios beep!?!?!

I have tried variations of the conexant driver that windows pulls up, and no luck... any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  5. mkesterco

mkesterco Private E-2

HopDav2K-

the first link tried to install although clearly a different model - errored out at the last install bar stating no hardware found.

the second link would extract but wouldn't even try to install (and I manually tried both setup files setup & HFsetup)

I tried to do as a previous post of the same problem suggested to me (he has the P105-S6137 model, mines the 6147) .... he said you manually install the Vista driver by stating drive, location, ignore compat. warnings, and he claims he eventually got it to work.

I've tried every direction at the vista driver and haven't succeeded yet....

Could you offer any more advice?? THANKS!

EDIT:

I tried to follow IPSCMASTER's advice (search: Audio Driver XP - near top of list), I followed it to the letter and still that horrible bios beep!?!?!

I have tried variations of the conexant driver that windows pulls up, and no luck... any help would be greatly appreciated!

6. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Yeah, I knew the drivers were for different models but I was hoping they'd work. And I agree that the Toshiba web site isn't really the friendliest site to use. Maybe you can 'force' the Vista driver to install by going thru the device manager, right click on the audio device, choose update driver, and point the wizard to the location where you have the unzipped Vista sound driver. Give it a shot. In the meantime, I'll try a few other options, and I'll post some links or info if I find anything of use. You could also try the device manager method with the second driver I linked to above and see if that works.... Anyway, give me a little time and I'll see what I can do ;)

hopperdave2000

7. mkesterco

mkesterco Private E-2

HD2K,

A link to a driver that works would be music to my ears! :eek: sorry had to use the pun. I'm a little exhausted after another 4 1/2 hours of trying drivers today. I tried the Everest hardware identifier:

Audio Adapter: Intel 82801GBM ICH7-M - High Definition Audio Controller

the Vista Driver supplied by Toshiba notes it as Conexant Hi Def Audio Controller (Venice)

and I've tried every conexant version I could get, several realtek, a couple different ones from HP & Compac, and just a few that were "generic".

And one thread I looked at said half the problem was the "enumerator" (I think) had to be updated in conjunction with the driver as that is what caused the hanging... however, I had no clue what they were talking about.

Thanks for the effort & I look forward to your response!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds