Toshiba Tecra sound problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Oct 29, 2007.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I wasn't sure if this should be in the hardware forum, or here in the software forum, so if it needs to be moved, so be it..... Here's the deal: no sound is coming from the speakers, but if headphones are plugged in, the sound is fine. I've gone thru just about everything in the Control Panel and in the audio settings and still could not get sound to go thru the speakers, only headphones. I've looked all over the laptop and seen no hardware switch or anything, and nothing is checked as muted anywhere. Esc + Fn is a hardware mute and that has been checked numerous times too. Any ideas?
    Oh yeah- it's a Tecra M4-S435 with XP Home SP2.
    Thanks.

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I've a Toshiba Tecra A7 and not real impressed with the volume it puts out.

One trap I have found in my model is that there is another volume control wheel hidden at the front of the laptop, to the right of centre (underneath) of the Synaptic mouse pad.

It is a wheel that can be moved left or right, depending on the volume required. Hope it applies to your model, also. :major

Bazza

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Yeah, this one has the same wheel and it makes no difference. I can only get sound from headphones (or speakers plugged into the headphone jack)..... it's like the audio has been permanently routed to the 'phone jack. Wierd :confused

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Have you looked in the BIOS to see if speakers are disabled?
    On my notebooks, I also have keys that can increase or decrease the volume.
    On my micron I hold down the function key and press F3 or F4. On my HP, I hold down the function key and press the up arrow or down arrow.

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Hmmm... haven't checked the BIOS, but this laptop also has a hardware mute... it's Esc + Fn and that isn't the problem. I'll check the BIOS tomorrow and see if that's it.... good tip!

6. abdibosaso

abdibosaso Private E-2

Thank you bigbazza. adjusting hidden volume control solved me too my sound problems.

7. Sansabina

Sansabina Private E-2

Thanks Bazza, forgot there might be a hardware volume controller. Found a discretely hidden one on the side of my laptop. cheers!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds