Laptop Hard drive as an external drive

Discussion in 'Software' started by Sawubona, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Sawubona

Sawubona Private E-2

Hi Friends

I have two toshiba laptops. The newer of the laptop(Vista installed) the power supply died and I decided to take off the hard drive from it and use it as an external hard drive of my second toshiba laptop.(XP installed)

I was able to use it as an external USB hard drive on my second laptop(XP Installed), however I noticed that though I can see most of my files and folders, I can't see my document and settings folder, my fruityloops files I can't see them too, though I can see the program file and settings. This is strange. I suspect it has to do with administrative rights?Is it possible to boot from this external drive Any help friends I would appreciate it. Thanks

Sawubona

2. syncman

syncman Private E-2

What external drive kit are you using?

3. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Your Vista documents and such like Fruityloop files would be in the Users folder on the external hard drive. In order to access them, you may need to take ownership of the files. How to take ownership of a file or a folder in Windows XP

It's highly unlikely you can boot the Vista OS from the USB case.

4. Sawubona

Sawubona Private E-2

Just playin

Thanks I will give this a try. So my files are safe? I will let you know what happens.

Sawubona

5. Sawubona

Sawubona Private E-2

The hardrive is Rocketfish. It came with a backup software CD

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds